President Trump and First Lady have tested positive for Virus (Update: Trump to undergo televised ‘medical exam’ Friday night) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Everyone's kicked around the idea of what happens if Trump dies...but what happens if Biden dies?

Will Dems select a backup candidate? Probably Bernie, since he was the last one left standing?

You KNOW Trump won't allow that.

I rather think Trump would love to run against Bernie.

Odd that you would dismiss Harris like that.

I rather think Trump would love to run against Bernie.

Odd that you would dismiss Harris like that.
    Dang, yea that was dumb of me. Of course it would be Harris.

Everyone's kicked around the idea of what happens if Trump dies...but what happens if Biden dies?

Will Dems select a backup candidate? Probably Bernie, since he was the last one left standing?

He would have no say in the matter but it would be a cluster**** and probably drive us into a constitutional crisis even quicker given how many people have already voted and how quick Trump would certainly attempt to invalidate any Biden vote or refuse to accept their transference to subsequent endorsed nominee.

As a thought experiment it’s pretty ducking wild because I’m not sure we have an obvious solution? I’m now curious though and am going to dig in out of sheer curiosity.

I have to strongly disagree with all the pearl clutching about Trump's potential incapacitation.

He has no role in readiness nor has he even paid attention to his job. If he lays sick and dies for a month, the country will be better run than it has been in years. Were he to have simply let the people do their job and play golf every day and twice on Sundays, we would be better off - BY FAR - than we are while he's throwing wrenches into the gears of government.

The military, JCOS, and every understaffed, politically damaged agency is better the minute Trump is quiet than the day before. Even his freaking cabinet members are likely excited by the prospect of his being absent and quiet.

There's no pearl clutching from me. You know I've long not been a fan of his. If it were just him, yeah, but this isn't about just him. Like I said earlier, it's about continuity of government. He doesn't live in a vacuum. The effects are myriad and wide-ranging. That, and there are other officials in close proximity who may have been exposed, which can problematic. If it turns into a super spreader event, we may have a much, much bigger problem on our hands. We're talking potential national security issues. Not something we need right now.

Trump giving the Trump Virus to Biden, then Biden kicking the bucket would be the most 2020 thing ever.

I really like Kamala, but i worry how she’d do in an election vs Trump this late in the game.. No debates obviously (where she would have mopped the floor with him) and too many Americans i fear would not be ready to pull the lever for her just yet.

If Trump bites the dust, i love Biden’s chances vs Pence.

Heard just now on TV that President Trump is mildly symptomatic.

Distracting from your tax cheating and debate meltdown by returning all discussion to the pandemic you downplayed and mismanaged resulting in the destruction of significant parts of the economy is a dimension of chess playing that I can't even number.

This is why a mild case of Covid-19 for Trump will send our country down a deeper rabbit hole. If his viral load is weak and he has a good response with Resdesvir, they will twist his recovery and attribute it to his super human abilities. The sycophancy surrounding him will only grow to historic levels. That will only deepen and spread the ignorance and bravado of his cult and draw others to it and maybe even win him the election. That will make things much worse.

Now that he has the virus, the only hope of breaking that stupidity and sending our country as a whole down a safer path is if he has a severe case of Covid-19 that can't be spun. Nobody know how this will play out at this point and that's what truly scares me. I'm much more concerned about the future of our country as opposed to the Trump's future. Just when I thought we were getting to the point where there was little that would shake up this election. o_O

Distracting from your tax cheating and debate meltdown by returning all discussion to the pandemic you downplayed and mismanaged resulting in the destruction of significant parts of the economy is a dimension of chess playing that I can't even number.

It's a dimension represented only in scribbled crayon and smeared feces.
    It may, in fact, be the dimension of crayon and feces.

Wait, wait...Pelosi and Trump in quarantine at the same time? O! Frabjous day!

At any other time, I'd ordinarily agree. Maybe it was a complete mirage regardless, but i was hoping they would come to an agreement on the Covid package being negotiated, because it's really needed right now. Them both being quarantined could put an end to those negotiations. Which doesn't help anyone.

lol

I think the idea of Trump as a master chess player is certainly more of a meme than a reality, but I do suspect this will simply inadvertently be a Boris Johnson moment barring he doesn’t die.

Those not familiar(and to be clear the context is a bit different because Johnson wasn’t as ghoulishly fostering of an anti-science, anti-mask, dismissive posture about Covid), but all it did for him was rally sympathy, raise his poll numbers/approval and he and his party simply used that sentiment to embolden their Brexit posture and pass draconian nonsense like imposing parking fees on foreign healthcare workers coming in to help within the NHS during Covid.

At any other time, I'd ordinarily agree. Maybe it was a complete mirage regardless, but i was hoping they would come to an agreement on the Covid package being negotiated, because it's really needed right now. Them both being quarantined could put an end to those negotiations. Which doesn't help anyone.

Pelosi wasn't negotiating with Trump though, was she? It was her and Mnuchin.
    I figure those talks won't stop and either Pelosi or whoever's next in seniority will continue. We just won't have to listen to Nancy try to submarine Joe and the entire progressive wing.

You want me to be cruel?

If he dies or becomes incapacitated Pence is acting leader for a couple months. Frankly, that would likely be a lot better than Trump’s current leadership and attempt of tearing down democracy in cahoots with foreign dictators so he doesn’t lose in a fair and free election. At a minimum though, I don’t see any cause for moral panic.

Let’s also not pretend Trump is actually forking doing anything of note in the foreign policy space. The piece of shirt watches Fox News 6 hours a day and melts over The simplest domestic provocations. Hasn’t demonstrated even the simplest of understanding of foreign disputes unless it concerns his financial assets. Foreign policy would go on as it has, minus his ad hoc interjections, conducted by the career civil servants overseen by mostly incompetent Trump toadies. The markets may tank for a minute, but you know what? They aren’t reflecting Main Street and haven’t for decades.

Want me to be really honest? If this is in fact a place for deep discussion? Honest, real political discussion. Trump becoming severely incapacitated or dying would probably be the only thing that could truly shock the soul of his cult and actually foster/fracture/incapacitate the opposition enough so that necessary things could actually get done in this country(separate question of whether they would rise to the occasion and I have my doubts). Like robust stimulus, healthcare reform, climate legislation, Supreme Court reform, infrastructure spending, regulatory reform, political ethics reform etc. And if we are looking at a longer term view of this country it is far more preferable to the one where Trump either doesn’t get the virus or does so as an asymptomatic carrier. Where he simply use the situation to embolden ignorance and his toxic tribal identity politics. This reap what you sow moment would potentially break that. And that’s the cold political reality.

People can virtue signal all they want to show how objective they are by showing their deep concern for an evil president or liberals that don’t feign emotional support for the man that locked kids in cages, encouraged racial violence, and stood silent as Russians put bounties on our troops, but it is the cold truth of the American political reality Trump and his Republican Party has put us in. So I’ll preface because of the audience but not apologize.

Well, I would hope you know me well enough (as a poster) to know that I don't have a need to virtue signal for anyone. Who would I exactly be doing that for on these boards anyway? I think two things can be true at once. Do I have pity for the President contracting the virus? No, he has been sowing those seeds to this country's detriment for some time now. Am I happy or relieved or excited about the President having this virus and possibly dying from it? No. I don't believe him being irreparably sick or dying serves this country well in the short term or is even a net positive long term. As a black man, I needed to see this country voting him out of office, decidedly if possible, and as a civillian him facing real world repercussions for any alleged crimes he may have committed. A Pence Presidency, made up of the very sycophants who enabled his regime, doesn't instill any confidence in me of any possible "gains" short term and him dying as a martyr, to his base, doesn't heal or mend what ails us long term. Now, will I be wishing him a speedy recovery, or offering thoughts and prayers or wishing him well during this time? No. I don't particularly like the guy (I mean I called him a racist scumbag two nights ago) and his attitude towards this virus, those victims of it, his handling of the crisis and his general forkery towards anything covid has garnered very little sympathy with me for him personally and you won't see me offering fake condolences to match that.

My concern is for the country. Will it be poetic justice if the same virus he bullshits over, that took so many lives, takes his own? Perhaps. Probably. But who he is, not Donald Trump, but President of the United States, changes the stakes, and him passing from this could have unforseen consequences, the likes of which, i personally, wasn't ready to take a victory lap over last night. This morning? I have mixed feelings about it.

In any event, I ended my initial post with IMHO. My opinion, amongst the chorus of others. I didn't quote anyone so I certainly wasn't lecturing or pointing the finger or telling others how to feel. It was just my perspective. @CoolBrees specifically responded and asked why I felt that way and I offered reasons why.

lol

I think the idea of Trump as a master chess player is certainly more of a meme than a reality, but I do suspect this will simply inadvertently be a Boris Johnson moment barring he doesn’t die.

Those not familiar(and to be clear the context is a bit different because Johnson wasn’t as ghoulishly fostering of an anti-science, anti-mask, dismissive posture about Covid), but all it did for him was rally sympathy, raise his poll numbers/approval and he and his party simply used that sentiment to embolden their Brexit posture and pass draconian nonsense like imposing parking fees on foreign healthcare workers coming in to help within the NHS during Covid.

Yeah, I really don't think there will be any sort of Boris Johnson sympathy vote here. If anything, this will actually drive Trump's numbers down because most people will perceive this as a reason to question Trump's health and shine a bit more light on how poorly he's handled the Covid issue.

But, stranger things have happened and this is 2020 after all. So, who knows?

One thing this will show us is that a lot of people who hate him for how he treats people or what he says will show everyone they are no different than he is. It doesn’t take a lot to be a compassionate decent human being regardless of who the person you show compassion to is. Because someone is a piece of shirt doesn’t make it ok for you to act like one also. With that said I pray he and his family a speedy recovery and that they come away unscathed.
    Those people are showing their true colors and a few have already done that before when they wished for the death of their political opponents. "Trump is a horrible person, but hopefully he dies" is not a good look.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom