Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Interesting. First guilty verdict and sentenced to 8 months in prison. Keep in mind this individual wasn't charged with damaging property or assaulting anyone. He also apologized and said he regretted participating in the event.

The defiant ones who did more will probably see years of jail time, I think.

Interesting. First guilty verdict and sentenced to 8 months in prison. Keep in mind this individual wasn't charged with damaging property or assaulting anyone. He also apologized and said he regretted participating in the event.

Of course it’s Florida Man

Don’t care what he didn’t do, I want everyone who was in that building illegally to serve years in prison. A message needs to be sent, this is major weak sauce….

Any jail time is better than no jail time. Now either he will be seen as a coward for apologizing and regretting his participation or he'll be seen as a model for how to avoid a longer sentence. Trumpers are hard to read because they are rabid snowflakes. They back the blue unless the blue goes against them. They love the constitution until they ignore it. Just have to see how it plays out. He might be a super patriot now for being a coward and trying to overthrow the government.

Don’t care what he didn’t do, I want everyone who was in that building illegally to serve years in prison. A message needs to be sent, this is major weak sauce….

I would venture a guess that most of these people would find 8 months in prison worth it if they had succeeded.

Maybe, but will they find it worth it seeing that they didn’t succeed? Losing jobs, maybe homes? Losing the respect of neighbors and acquaintances who possibly had no idea they were this stupid?

Maybe, but will they find it worth it seeing that they didn’t succeed? Losing jobs, maybe homes? Losing the respect of neighbors and acquaintances who possibly had no idea they were this stupid?

Some will. They think they were right and would do it again. Others will be regretful.

Some will. They think they were right and would do it again. Others will be regretful.
    Yeah, clearly there will be groups of both. I know 2 guys who went. Neither actually went in. One said he's glad he didn't go into the Capitol. The other says he wish he did. So I'm guessing it's a mixed bag.

I'm going to quote you but this is for everyone. I'm a little confused by the variance in sentencing because this post ^ says he got 8 months
    However, I was reading this

and there the judge said the maximum he could sentence was 6 months

The rioter, Michael Curzio, was sentenced to six months in jail but will be released Wednesday because he has been in jail since mid-January and will receive credit for time already served.

"Mr. Curzio should be sentenced to the six-month statutory maximum," federal Judge Carl Nichols said at a hearing. "I am not in a position to be able to impose a longer sentence than that. I think that six-month sentence is appropriate here. Mr. Curzio will have, in two days, served that entire sentence."

I'm going to quote you but this is for everyone. I'm a little confused by the variance in sentencing because this post ^ says he got 8 months
    However, I was reading this

and there the judge said the maximum he could sentence was 6 months

The rioter, Michael Curzio, was sentenced to six months in jail but will be released Wednesday because he has been in jail since mid-January and will receive credit for time already served.

"Mr. Curzio should be sentenced to the six-month statutory maximum," federal Judge Carl Nichols said at a hearing. "I am not in a position to be able to impose a longer sentence than that. I think that six-month sentence is appropriate here. Mr. Curzio will have, in two days, served that entire sentence."
    Two different rioters, Curzio and Hodgkins.

I believe one was charged with a misdemeanor and the other was charged with a felony. 🤷🏼‍♀️

so...violating election code in an attempt to find election violations. Bold strategy

Pennsylvania's acting Secretary of State Veronica Degraffenreid announced Wednesday she decertified Fulton County voting equipment for future elections after officials allowed a private company to examine the machines during an audit of the 2020 election, violating the state's election code.

so...violating election code in an attempt to find election violations. Bold strategy

Pennsylvania's acting Secretary of State Veronica Degraffenreid announced Wednesday she decertified Fulton County voting equipment for future elections after officials allowed a private company to examine the machines during an audit of the 2020 election, violating the state's election code.

How many of those audits are in fact the means to be able to examine the voting machines and discover potential flaws which can then be exploited during the next election ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom