Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Perhaps time for a new thread to talk about what's next.

- Trump has lost access to his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely. He's on Twitter suspension for now.
    - There is talk of a 25th Amendment action but that seems unlikely.
    - Trump's term ends at noon on January 20, 2021.
    - Congress has no plans for session so impeachment unlikely.
    - Resignations from White House and staff elsewhere.

I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

It's really hard to keep up with the crazy. I mean, this is so stupid, so wrong, so damaging.

But, outside of Richard, who many conservatives argue isn't on their side (because they're not conservatives, they're Trumpists), we haven't heard from a single one in over a month. So, it's hard to tell if they'd just poke fun at the liberals and MSM making this a big deal, when it really isn't, or that we're just triggered. Or if they'd actually agree that his is plainly forked up.

Add this to the phone call Trump got busted on trying to get the GA secretary of elections to 'find enough votes'.

this is so anti-democratic. It's pathetic.

Speaker Pelosi needs to call a special session and have another vote on impeachment, which will ultimately fail, but there needs to be a line drawn between the events of yesterday and everything that might happen through January 20th. Every member of congress should have to pick a side of that line under the glare of current circumstances.

Even Tom Cotton is getting hammered by the Trumpists on social media for issuing a statement saying he won't join in any objections.

I'd guess that in the final tally you'll have 10-15 Senators voting on the record against accepting the winner of the Electoral College as President.

Perhaps time for a new thread to talk about what's next.

- Trump has lost access to his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely. He's on Twitter suspension for now.
    - There is talk of a 25th Amendment action but that seems unlikely.
    - Trump's term ends at noon on January 20, 2021.
    - Congress has no plans for session so impeachment unlikely.
    - Resignations from White House and staff elsewhere.

The Senate is convening for a pro forma session tomorrow at 10 am as well as a few other days next week prior to the 20th.

Ive thought about all this and what it means to the GOP and the Trumpers within.

I think this is a last ditch effort by a handful to keep that Trump base energized and to continue carrying the Trump torch. The problem is NONE of them are Donald Trump. The REAL Trump base are Trumpers for one reason and one reason alone. They IDENTIFY with him.
    Not a single Senator or Rep can say the same. They simply dont. They dont speak like him, their manners arent the same and their morality isnt the same.
    They will eventually be outed for fleecing the Rs for fundraising.

this is all going to backfire on the likes of Hawley, Cruz and others and stain them for the remainder of their political careers.

Ive thought about all this and what it means to the GOP and the Trumpers within.

I think this is a last ditch effort by a handful to keep that Trump base energized and to continue carrying the Trump torch. The problem is NONE of them are Donald Trump. The REAL Trump base are Trumpers for one reason and one reason alone. They IDENTIFY with him.
    Not a single Senator or Rep can say the same. They simply dont. They dont speak like him, their manners arent the same and their morality isnt the same.

this is all going to backfire on the likes of Hawley, Cruz and others and stain them for the remainder of their political careers.

I agree with you, but it won't hurt Cruz. He's like some sort of low IQ god here.

Speaker Pelosi needs to call a special session and have another vote on impeachment, which will ultimately fail, but there needs to be a line drawn between the events of yesterday and everything that might happen through January 20th. Every member of congress should have to pick a side of that line under the glare of current circumstances.

I don't think it's that simple. The House would have to file articles of impeachment, vote on them, and then the Senate has to set a trial (usually through an impeachment-trial resolution) that is presided over by the Chief Justice. Then, after the trial concludes, the Senate votes on conviction - it requires 2/3.

So what would happen is that Pelosi would have to convene the House. The Senate would have to hold a trial - even done expedited, due process requires that the articles be presented and the president's counsel provided opportunity to rebut them. And during all of that, support from enough GOP senators to convict is going to have to stay in place. All of this while Trump's number of days in office ticks off one by one.

I think that if Schumer had enough GOP senators on lock to convict, it's worth considering - particularly as it would keep Trump out of the loop after he's president (ex-presidents have continued access to intelligence, to security, etc.). But make no mistake, it would be a shirt show. Even though most Americans likely support it and it seems compelling to do something, the Trump yahoos in Congress and the Trump/Q wackos on the street wouldn't take it lightly.

But doing just for show - to "make them declare their side" seems foolish to me. That's the same nonsense that happened yesterday.

I really hope you are right....

I really hope you are right....

Wait til a handful of these guys run for re-election. Pay close attention to their mannerisms and verbiage used. It will mimic that of Trump, but it simply wont have the "gravitas" because they AINT TRUMP.

They may siphon off a few because they are Republicans, but trust me, it wont be ANYTHING you see now.

You think 1000s would show up for Ted Cruz? Nope.

Joint statement from seven GOP members of the House (or elect-members). One of them is my representative (member-elect Nancy Mace). "Not being a fascist" is a low bar for what I expect from my Rep, but I'll take it.

It contains this remarkable statement:

To take action otherwise – that is, to unconstitutionally insert Congress into the center of the presidential election process – would amount to stealing power from the people and the states. It would, in effect, replace the electoral college with Congress, and in so doing strengthen the efforts of those on the left who are determined to eliminate it or render it irrelevant.

From a purely partisan perspective, Republican presidential candidates have won the national popular vote only once in the last 32 years. They have therefore depended on the electoral college for nearly all presidential victories in the last generation. If we perpetuate the notion that Congress may disregard certified electoral votes—based solely on its own assessment that one or more states mishandled the presidential election—we will be delegitimizing the very system that led Donald Trump to victory in 2016, and that could provide the only path to victory in 2024.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom