Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Carefully worded to make it seem like something could happen, when all that will happen is that they will talk for two hours and then vote to confirm the results.

Josh Hawley said on Fox that who get inaugurated depends on what happens on Jan. 6 in the Joint Session. The host, to his credit, replied, no it doesn’t. Josh absolutely knows the truth, yet he chooses to lie repeatedly.

This level of cynical pandering to actual people who are upset and angry that their guy lost cannot end well. The people who are upset deserve to hear the truth from their purported leaders. Instead we are getting performative political posturing which should disqualify those who are indulging from holding any further positions of public trust.

Maybe he’s at least considering bailing, which would be cowardly but on brand.

oh, I found the clip of Josh Hawley acting like Congress can override the election results. All credit to the Fox News host who seems to know more about it than he does.

Carefully worded to make it seem like something could happen, when all that will happen is that they will talk for two hours and then vote to confirm the results.

Josh Hawley said on Fox that who get inaugurated depends on what happens on Jan. 6 in the Joint Session. The host, to his credit, replied, no it doesn’t. Josh absolutely knows the truth, yet he chooses to lie repeatedly.

This level of cynical pandering to actual people who are upset and angry that their guy lost cannot end well. The people who are upset deserve to hear the truth from their purported leaders. Instead we are getting performative political posturing which should disqualify those who are indulging from holding any further positions of public trust.

I'm more or less expecting they go sit in the closed session and play Candy Crush for two hours. Including the objectors.

I generally like this lady’s writings, so full disclosure, I haven’t read the piece yet, have to actually go and get some stuff done now, but it should be at least thought-provoking. Don’t always agree with her, but she’s worth reading in my experience.

I actually hope they do try something stupid like storm the capitol. The more people like that, that will be eliminated from the gene pool the better.
    "Blue Lives matter! support the troops! I'll do that by trying to murder them"... ironic? na just stupidity.

I'm pretty much at this point as well. The types of idiots/morons that would try this garbage are the same types that could be easily duped into being a domestic terrorist.....

I'm pretty much at this point as well. The types of idiots/morons that would try this garbage are the same types that could be easily duped into being a domestic terrorist.....

One could argue some already have been.

I generally like this lady’s writings, so full disclosure, I haven’t read the piece yet, have to actually go and get some stuff done now, but it should be at least thought-provoking. Don’t always agree with her, but she’s worth reading in my experience.

I'm a big fan of her writing, this piece included. The last line is key:

Liberals and traditional conservatives who value the rule of law over whatever appeal the Republican Party still holds must now join in opposition to a party that has rejected both democratic and conservative values.

Tomorrow is Mike Pence's turn to be thrown under the Trump bus. And I can't say that I feel bad for him.

You know...except that he doesn't.

The Constitution is so abundantly clear...both in Article 1 and in the 12th Amendment that he presides over the meeting of both houses of congress, and they open ALL of the certificates and count the votes. The constitution says nothing about objecting to the votes. The Electoral Count Act did define a process for objections (after states did not certify electors in 1876, if I understand correctly), but that process does not grant any power to the Vice President.

I'm a big fan of her writing, this piece included. The last line is key:

Liberals and traditional conservatives who value the rule of law over whatever appeal the Republican Party still holds must now join in opposition to a party that has rejected both democratic and conservative values.

the argument is now being made that the GOP has been on this trend for decades, although Trump has brought it to its natural conclusion. (I am destined, it seems, to get nothing domestic done today, lol)

I do think there are always those “sore losers” who try to discredit an opponent’s victory, it’s just that this is the furthest they’ve ever taken this effort

Maybe he’s at least considering bailing, which would be cowardly but on brand.

oh, I found the clip of Josh Hawley acting like Congress can override the election results. All credit to the Fox News host who seems to know more about it than he does.

I couldn't even listen past the first minute. That guy is so full of shirt that his ears are leaking.

The protest/rally has begun. Trump is apparently going to speak to them tomorrow at 9am.

Right now the MyPillowGuy is threatening civil war.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom