Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

I bet she got her JD at drumpf 'university', amirite?

I just love that sovereign citizen crap. A old work buddy loved that crap. It is amazing stuff that dude was always getting locked up for drunk stupid stuff then spewed that garbage out almost instantly gets you in opp. He was locked up well over thirty times.

His poor dad always bailed him out and paid all his bills that drunk idiot burned thru a ton of capital he would have inherited in fines, lawyers, and the most staggering car insurance you could ever imagine.

Nothing says I am w wacko like sovereign citizen

Bauer has demanded to represent herself in court, appeared to threaten a court clerk with prison time, and declared herself a “self-governed individual” with special legal privileges.

Bauer does not simply appear in court, she clarified during a June 11 proceeding via Zoom. “I am here by special divine appearance, a living soul,” she told a judge that day, while stating that she did not want an attorney.

“I do not stand under the law,” she said. “Under Genesis 1, God gave man dominion over the law.”

Maybe she's taking the insanity route?lol

"I became worse.” That’s how double impeachment changed him, Donald Trump told a conservative audience in Dallas last weekend, without a trace of a smile. This was not Trump the insult comic talking. This was the deepest Trump self. And this one time, he told the truth.

Something has changed for Trump and his movement since January 2021. You can measure the difference by looking back at the deadly events in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017. Trump made three statements about those events over four days. He was visibly reluctant to speak negatively of the far-right groups. He praised “fine people on both sides” and spread the blame for “this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence on many sides.”
    But if Trump refused to single out the far-rightists for criticism, he also refrained from praising them. Whatever he felt in his heart, he was constrained by certain political and practical realities. His non-Twitter actions as president were filtered through bureaucracies. He had to work with Republican congressional allies who worried about losing seats in Congress in the next election. He himself was still basking in the illusion of his supposedly huge victory in 2016, and hoping for a repeat in 2020. Outright endorsement of lethal extremism? That was too much for Trump in 2017. But now look where we are.

In the first days after the January 6 attack on the Capitol, Trump supporters distanced themselves from its excesses. The attack had nothing to do with Trump, they argued. He had urged only a peaceful demonstration. If anybody did any harm, that person was a concealed agent of antifa. But in the months since, the mood has shifted. Once repudiated, the attacks are now accepted, condoned, and even endorsed.

In the past few days, leading pro-Trump figures and even non-Trump conservative figures have endorsed a startling Twitter thread by a previously boutique podcaster, Darryl Cooper. Tucker Carlson read the thread aloud on his show.

The thread argued that the January 6 protesters were right to believe that they had been cheated out of power they deserved. They were right to believe that the government and the law were conspiring against them. They were right to believe that their opponents were capable of anything, even assassinating Trump. The implication: They themselves were equally entitled to go just as far. It’s long, but I’ll quote two key passages.

The entrenched bureaucracy & security state subverted Trump from Day 1, b) The press is part of the operation, c) Election rules were changed, d) Big Tech censors opposition, e) Political violence is legitimized & encouraged, f) Trump is banned from social media. 34/x

They were led down some rabbit holes, but they are absolutely right that their gov't is monopolized by a Regime that believes they are beneath representation, and will observe no limits to keep them getting it. Trump fans should be happy he lost; it might've kept him alive. /end

The tweet thread began by claiming that Donald Trump himself shared these beliefs. You might wonder how the podcaster would know. The answer arrived on Sunday morning, when Trump phoned into Maria Bartiromo’s Fox News show to deliver his most full-throated endorsement yet of the January 6 attack on Congress.
    The Trump movement was always authoritarian and illiberal. It indulged periodically in the rhetoric of violence. Trump himself chafed against the restraints of law. But what the United States did not have before 2020 was a large national movement willing to justify mob violence to claim political power. Now it does.

The ex-president praised Ashli Babbitt, the woman slain as she attempted to crash through the door that protected members of Congress from the mob that had invaded the Capitol: “innocent, wonderful, incredible woman.” He praised the insurrectionist throng: “great people.” He denounced their arrest and jailing as unjust. And he implied that Babbitt had been shot by the personal-security detail of a leading member of Congress. “I’ve heard also that it was the head of security for a certain high official. A Democrat. It’s gonna come out.”

Great piece by David Frum.

WASHINGTON – The highest-ranking U.S. officer, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley, and other top military leaders made informal plans to stop a coup by former President Donald Trump and his allies in the run-up to the 2020 presidential election, according to excerpts from a new book

"I Alone Can Fix It," written by Washington Post reporters Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker, describes how Milley and others feared Trump might take unconstitutional actions should he lose. CNN first reported on this excerpt.

The top brass was so disturbed by Trump's rhetoric casting doubt on the legitimacy of the election before it was held that the leaders discussed contingency plans for how to thwart any illegal power grabs by the president, including how and when to resign in protest over his actions.

"They may try, but they're not going to f****** succeed," Milley told his officers, according to Leonnig and Rucker. "You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with the guns."

Not shocked.

Not shocked.

Pretty much. There were a few people thinking the military would capitulate to Trump, but I never beleived that would happen. For all the grief the military gets, I never thought the brass would follow Trump over the Constitution.

Great, I was wondering! I am no fan of any on your list. They are a bit too conservative. However, I can see why they are conservative. It is something that goes along with a certain personality trait. As a moderate I rather pay attention to moderates. Do you know any new school moderates?
    Old school moderate - David Brooks

He is a good example of someone who in 2000s would be labeled a moderate conservative or neocon. Today, he would be a moderate or moderate liberal. The Tea Party, Palin, Trump, MGT trend in GOP has skewed that party far from where it was 10-15 years ago.

This is an insightful look explaining some of the beliefs of the Trump MAGA supporters. It originally was a long Twitter thread that went viral so this website combined the tweets into one article. The author stated that he doesn't agree with all of the beliefs and impressions of the MAGA supporters but he believes many of them.

I've tried to reason with some smart people I work with that are MAGA & thought Trump would be reinstalled as President, but it's very hard to get though to them. I do think it's important to understand why they believe what they do because its concerning how many on the right believe all the BS.

I’ve had discussions at this point with a wide range of Trump supporters who believe the 2020 election was fraudulent. I think I can extract a general theory about their perspective. It is also the perspective of most of the people who were at the Capitol on January 6, and probably even that of Trump himself.

Most of these people believe some or all of the various theories involving midnight ballots, voting machines, etc. But what you find when you talk to them is that, while they’ll defend those positions with information they got from Hannity or Breitbart or various other sources, they’re not particularly attached to them. If the theories were disproven, it wouldn’t disprove the fraud for them. That’s because there are far more important facts—actual, confirmed facts—that shape their perspective.

This is an insightful look explaining some of the beliefs of the Trump MAGA supporters. It originally was a long Twitter thread that went viral so this website combined the tweets into one article. The author stated that he doesn't agree with all of the beliefs and impressions of the MAGA supporters but he believes many of them.

I've tried to reason with some smart people I work with that are MAGA & thought Trump would be reinstalled as President, but it's very hard to get though to them. I do think it's important to understand why they believe what they do because its concerning how many on the right believe all the BS.

I’ve had discussions at this point with a wide range of Trump supporters who believe the 2020 election was fraudulent. I think I can extract a general theory about their perspective. It is also the perspective of most of the people who were at the Capitol on January 6, and probably even that of Trump himself.

Most of these people believe some or all of the various theories involving midnight ballots, voting machines, etc. But what you find when you talk to them is that, while they’ll defend those positions with information they got from Hannity or Breitbart or various other sources, they’re not particularly attached to them. If the theories were disproven, it wouldn’t disprove the fraud for them. That’s because there are far more important facts—actual, confirmed facts—that shape their perspective.

To decry gaslighting in an article that is nothing BUT gaslighting is like...gaslightception. Gaslights within gaslights that'd make Orwell's head spin.

I was hoping he'd go in-depth about the economic failures MAGAts have suffered since the mid-70's. Boomtowns gone bust, steel jobs gone to Japan, coal jobs gone up in smoke leaving only Black Lung behind.

The people of rural America have objectively been failed by their government; by Them. Failed and forgotten and treated with nothing but contempt. Open contempt on the part of the Bill Maher's of the world and the more subtle kind exhibited by millionaires like Mitch McConnell who play shell games with culture wars while robbing them blind. From the MAGAt perspective, it's all the same Them.

So, when Trump comes along and They hate him...from Left Coasters to Blue Bloods to the GOP Establishment, he became their perfect candidate. Trumpism is the rural man's chance to finally, at long last, cram something down Their throats and they reveled in it. Still do.

Last edited:

Yeah that's the article Frum referenced in the article I posted a couple days ago that at least partially serves as an attempt to justify the reasoning behind the insurrection.

Old school moderate - David Brooks

He is a good example of someone who in 2000s would be labeled a moderate conservative or neocon. Today, he would be a moderate or moderate liberal. The Tea Party, Palin, Trump, MGT trend in GOP has skewed that party far from where it was 10-15 years ago.
    The trend to the extreme right correlates with the election of Obama and the concept that everything that is bad in America or any Western nation is due to white heterosexual men. I deal with anglo saxons all the time. They are tired of hearing negative things about them 24/7. It becomes a joke among themselves. My four daughters are married to men of European heritage. I have a lot of Anglo family now.

I also know white cops that work in high crime areas. The morale is as low as it can be and they are soft policing. They are willing to look the other way if the potential suspect is POC. In retrospect this is what the left wanted

Last edited:
    Growing up in New Orleans and being a fair-skinned black person, I used to hear the term Passe Blanc from some of the older folks. It was a French creole term which loosely translates to "passing for white". In these parts, there were black folks who were so fair-skinned, that people thought they were white and many actually lived as white people. Little did I know that there was a Latin American equivalent to Passe Blanc.

The trend to the extreme right correlates with the election of Obama and the concept that everything that is bad in America or any Western nation is due to white heterosexual men. I deal with anglo saxons all the time. They are tired of hearing negative things about them 24/7. It becomes a joke among themselves. My four daughters are married to men of European heritage. I have a lot of Anglo family now.

I also know white cops that work in high crime areas. The morale is as low as it can be and they are soft policing. They are willing to look the other way if the potential suspect is black. In retrospect this is what the left wanted
    I’ve been hearing for centuries how everything are the Jews fault. Led to a Holocaust and even then people deny it. Your poor white son in laws will be fine.

I’ve been hearing for centuries how everything are the Jews fault. Led to a Holocaust and even then people deny it.
    OK, let me do a change to your sentence.
    I’ve been hearing for centuries how everything are the whites fault. Led to a Holocaust and even then people deny it.

Your poor white son in laws will be fine.
    They my sons in law and the fathers of my grandchildren. I hope you are correct.

I am assuming you are blaming the Holocaust on white skin.

The trend to the extreme right correlates with the election of Obama and the concept that everything that is bad in America or any Western nation is due to white heterosexual men. I deal with anglo saxons all the time. They are tired of hearing negative things about them 24/7.
    I think you'd probably agree that often their worldviews are filtered through the lenses of the likes of Hannity, Rush, etc.. individuals with their own incentives to play to the victimized mentality that you're speaking of.. I'd venture to say that the financial incentives of those individuals to play up white victimhood has had its role here as well.

The trend to the extreme right correlates with the election of Obama
    With you so far.
    and the concept that everything that is bad in America or any Western nation is due to white heterosexual men.
    And you lost it.

The trend to the extreme right happened because a black guy was elected president and those latent racists couldn’t stand the thought of it. The TEA party, which was the precursor to our current Capitol stormtroopers, was created like 5 minutes after Obama was elected. There was no time for any blame whitey feelings. It was a white response to the election of a black president.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom