Trump Indictment ( includes NY AG and Fed documents case ) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Former President D. Trump has been indicted by a New York Grand Jury. There will be much to talk about on this topic because this is just the first step in a lengthy process.
    Possibly it is worthy of its own thread here rather than posting about Trump's indictment in already existing threads? :unsure:
    This 3/31/23 story might get the ball rolling....

The indictment has been published -- 34 counts of "falsifying business records in the first degree," with lots of references to check and voucher numbers.
    Felony counts. All on Trump Organization books.

My girlfriend brought up a great point

She wishes the media would stop saying how unprecedented it is to charge a former president as if former presidents break the law all the time and just let it slide before but now decide to make an example of Trump

They should be talking about how unprecedented it is that a former president did something to be charged over
    They would have to say "allegedly" did something.

My fear. This is a weak case. Not that he isn't guilty, but it's just a very minor case. Because of that Trump will use it to his advantage and it might help him, not hurt him, to become the Republican nominee again.

So, I have a question for the legal experts out there.

As I understand it, some of the things that Michael Cohen went to jail for were the excessive campaign contribution and unreported campaign contribution in paying Stormy Daniels.

Is it possible for Trump's attorneys to argue in this court that the payment was not an illegal campaign contribution? Or would the court say "Well, Michael Cohen went to jail for it, so that means it is an illegal campaign contribution"?

My fear. This is a weak case. Not that he isn't guilty, but it's just a very minor case. Because of that Trump will use it to his advantage and it might help him, not hurt him, to become the Republican nominee again.

That's certainly the popular spin being repeated ad nauseam (not taking a swipe at you).

I wouldn't really put much weight on that or care. For all we know, Trump could be dead in a year from a heart attack.

trump-court-ap-ps-230404_1680633531690_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

Our first criminal defendant President. Posted for posterity.

That's certainly the popular spin being repeated ad nauseam (not taking a swipe at you).

Well, we just found out precisely what the charges are in the last hour or so, so it hasn't been repeated ad nauseam, and it's now a fact that it's a minor case.

Well, we just found out precisely what the charges are in the last hour or so, so it hasn't been repeated ad nauseam, and it's now a fact that it's a minor case.

I'm fine with him being convicted of any felony. The more, the merrier.

I'm also fine with him being the GOP nominee and getting beaten like an egg-sucking dog in the general. I'd prefer he ran as an independent, of course. It's necessary for the Republicans to begin losing more and more elections by wider and wider margins. The party needs to be crushed into powder and remade into something pragmatic, sane and patriotic.

minor in what sense? any conviction starts a pattern. Multiple convictions sets an even greater pattern.

And in future cases, the pattern could be deciding factor. The fact that he has no problem skirting the laws and its part of a conviction ( no matter how light the sentence will be ) is a problem for him. Now and going forward.

if guilty obviously.

This is just part of the legal troubles he is facing, though. I can't speak to the veracity of other potential charges, but I do suspect that away from the public eye, GOP powerbrokers are hoping as much as anybody that this brings him down, maybe enough that if they can covertly assist in the pursuit of justice, they will. He couldn't beat Biden in his re-election and he's proving to not be any kind of reliable king-maker in other races. His self-serving interests are toxic to the party and he's uncontrollable by people who are used to having backroom power.

Last edited:
    minor in what sense? any conviction starts a pattern. Multiple convictions sets an even greater pattern.

And in future cases, the pattern could be deciding factor. The fact that he has no problem skirting the laws and its part of a conviction ( no matter how light the sentence will be ) is a problem for him. Now and going forward.

if guilty obviously.
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a conviction. That could be, if at all, a long way down the road.

Yeah I honestly expected there to be more to it once I heard about the 34 different charges.

Early but not sure this was a hill to die on.

That has been what has been said since long before the charges were even announced. So it has be repeated ad nauseam.

Either way, it matters not. If he's found guilty, he will have been found guilty of multiple felonies.

This is just part of the legal troubles he is facing, though. I can't speak to the veracity of other potential charges, but I do suspect that away from the public eye, GOP powerbrokers are hoping as much as anybody that this brings him down, maybe enough that if they can covertly assist in the pursuit of justice, they will. He couldn't beat Biden in his re-election and he's proving to not be any kind of reliable king-maker in other races. His self-serving interests are toxic to the party and he's uncontrollable by people who are used to having backroom power.
    I can tell you that the veracity of the illegal activity in the Mar-A-Lago case seem to be the most certain. It is without debate that Trump refused to return government records, and that he had his lawyer sign a false sworn statement that he didn't have any more. That, alone, is pretty significant evidence that a crime was committed, even though it's not a huge deal. Then, we add in that he had classified documents that he no longer had authorization to access, and those documents were given to another individual who did not have authorization to access them, and they made a copy onto their personal computer is another criminal act. Then, if we start adding in the reports that Trump directed someone to move one of the boxes containing those government records into an area that archivists/federal agents were not allowed to look AND that Trump personally went through the boxes before having them move. If that is true, that's a clear case of obstruction, and potentially violates other laws related to handling classified information.

That has been what has been said since long before the charges were even announced. So it has be repeated ad nauseam.
    Obviously anything said before the actual charges were announced is irrelevant and immaterial. My observation came AFTER the charges were known.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom