Trump Indictment ( includes NY AG and Fed documents case ) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Former President D. Trump has been indicted by a New York Grand Jury. There will be much to talk about on this topic because this is just the first step in a lengthy process.
    Possibly it is worthy of its own thread here rather than posting about Trump's indictment in already existing threads? :unsure:
    This 3/31/23 story might get the ball rolling....

I think the only difference with booking Trump is the coordination with the Secrete Service. It's been reported that the New York DA wanted to arraignment today but had to postpone until Tuesday because they had to coordinate with the SS. Other than that, he's going to have to show up, get fingerprinted, an arrest photo and show up in court to plead.
    I read where the Secret Service pushed back on that story, which came from Trump’s lawyer. A spokesman says the Secret Service is prepared and could facilitate his travel at a moment’s notice.

My cynical side says that Trump wants the delay to give him and his slavish MAGA-R politicians enough time to whip up the base into a frenzy.

Your points are all valid.
    The program was on "Fox Live"....a streaming service I can watch for free because it came with my new Samsung Smart TV.
    This was NOT a Sean Hannity or Laura Ingram kinda show.
    This was a "hard news" reporter speaking to a guest who had some affiliation to the law ( clearly I forget the specifics) and they were answering seriously....speculating off the top of their head.
    Their main point was we've never had a former President in this situation and the guest seriously floated that hypothetically it might be handled differently or it might not.
    No one knows for sure. That was their non facetious speculation.
    I did just hear that there is some speculation that a mug shot will not be done. I think you could make the case that Trump would plaster it on T-shirts and monetize it, so I’m fine with that.

I'm wondering how the OP feels about the fact that the vast majority of the R party is now defending the orange maniac.....I thought there was no way he would get the nomination because his precious R party would reject Trump and pave the way for a new, wannabe tinpot dictator......

From Robert Reich
    ==============
    You’re going to hear three basic criticisms of Trump’s indictment. Each has some merit, but ultimately fails.

Let me rebut each in turn.

1. It sets a dangerous precedent​

Wrong. In order for the justice system to work, there must be trust that the system will not play favorites or ignore the wrongdoing of the powerful.

Donald Trump has done everything possible over the last seven years to destroy that trust for his own political gain.

America never quite recovered from Gerald Ford’s decision to pardon Richard Nixon for all crimes he might have committed.

It is true that no former president has ever been indicted, but no former president has done what Donald Trump has done – repeatedly defied laws and disregarded the US constitution.

“No one is above the law” is only true if we make it so. Holding our leaders accountable is vital to maintaining trust in our legal system, and the survival of our democracy itself.

2. The indictment plays into Trump’s claims that he’s the victim of a witch-hunt, and will further rile his core supporters​

Irrelevant. Undoubtedly some Trump supporters will be upset by this. The indictment will confirm for them that Trump is not only being prosecuted but also being persecuted.

But Trump has used every move against him so far – whether by the FBI, the justice department, Congress, or even opponents in the Republican party – to claim he’s a victim of a witch-hunt. This indictment is no different.

His entire campaign is based on variations of this same grievance. But in this case, a grand jury found that he broke the law. It’s hard to cast an independent grand jury composed of ordinary people into part of a witch-hunt.

3. This is the weakest of the cases now being prepared against Trump​

Yes, but so what? To be sure, paying hush money to cover up something embarrassing during a presidential campaign is not nearly on the same level as asking Georgia’s secretary of state to “come up” with the exact number of votes needed to reverse the outcome of Georgia’s presidential election, or fomenting an attack on the US Capitol.

And it may be true that an allegation like this is usually treated as a misdemeanor rather than a felony.

None of this alters the fact that a grand jury had enough evidence in this case to decide that Trump broke the law. That’s the critical point.

A federal judge can decide whether the case rises to a felony or is more appropriately treated as a misdemeanor. The overriding issue is that no person is above the law, not even a former president……….

I saw a speaker on a politic talk program last night saying:
    It might not be needful to fingerprint Trump...his fingerprints are already on file because he has a gun owner permit in New York State.
    Will they really need to take a mug shot? ... the guest asked...not me
    The guest stated: "His photos are everywhere...every day"
    Yup, this is all unchartered territory.
    With the issue of body doubles for VIP's, fingerprinting him seems well within keeping.

FsrBGHmWwAMG-eY

Is there a sports book site thst has odds for prop bets related to Trump’s indictment?

I’d like to see the current odds being posted for “Trump identifies jurors in his trial by name.”

Donald Trump understands the camera. He is particular about angles, lighting and his inimitable orange hair. But come this Tuesday, in a New York courthouse, the camera will become his tormentor as Trump, once the most powerful man in the world, is told to provide a mug shot like a common criminal.

The first reality TV star to be elected US president, and the first US president to be twice impeached and attempt the overthrow of an election, is now the first US president to be charged with a crime. The 76-year-old faces the humiliation of being photographed, fingerprinted and entering a plea to charges involving a 2016 hush money payment to the adult film actor Stormy Daniels.

The impact of that is already being felt. There are signs that the legal perils now engulfing Trump are pushing him to new extremes. Trump has never been a conventional politician, but his divisive brand of populist-nationalism is growing ever more intense and extreme.

His 2024 campaign for the White House is embracing a violent rhetoric that could inflame tensions and put America on a path to conflagration. Barricades have gone up around the courthouse in New York. Daniels canceled a Friday television interview out of “security concerns”. Trump’s language on the campaign trail and social media, haranguing his enemies, is laced with race-baiting and antisemitic conspiratorial tropes.

“There’s nothing traditional about Donald Trump and there never has been, but we’ve never been in this situation before and what’s different now is how polarised we are,” said Frank Luntz, a pollster who has worked on numerous Republican election campaigns. “This is like lighting a match in the middle of a bonfire that’s been doused with gasoline. I’m afraid that we’re lighting a match and we’re going to see on Tuesday what happens.”……

For some politicians, “term limits” isn’t about how long they are allowed to serve in office, but about how long they might be compelled to serve in a very different kind of government facility.

But if you are a prominent political personality facing an official accusation of criminal misconduct — no names, please — there is good news: There’s every chance the voters will return you to office even as the cloud of indictment hovers overhead.

Based on history, the electorate often seems to embrace the idea that a man or women is innocent until proved guilty — especially if you’re a member of their party.

There is no better example of this than Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. Shortly after his 2014 election, he was indicted on securities fraud charges and accused of misleading investors about his role in a tech start-up.

Almost eight years later, the case has still not come to trial, tangled in legal disputes so convoluted they make Jarndyce and Jarndyce, the suit from Dickens’s “Bleak House,” seem like a small claims dispute.

Since then, Paxton (R) has been reelected twice and has brushed aside more legal arrows. In 2020, eight of his top aides publicly accused him of misusing his office to protect a key donor. His margin last November? Ten points.

Texas is a state where every statewide office is held by a Republican, but “indicted and elected” is not a partisan matter. In 2015, Sen. Robert Menendez, a Democrat from New Jersey, was indicted on 14 counts of fraud and bribery after accepting some $1 million in gifts from a Florida ophthalmologist.

A 2017 trial the year before Menendez was up for reelection ended in a hung jury. Two months later, the Justice Department dropped the case. In April 2018, the Senate Ethics Committee “severely admonished” the senator for his conduct.

You might think that “they couldn’t make the charge stick” is a less-than-optimal campaign theme. But New Jersey hasn’t sent a Republican to the U.S. Senate since 1972, its voters weren’t about to break a 50-year streak.

When the Newark Star-Ledger endorsed Menendez, it did so with this ringing praise: “This year’s U.S. Senate race presents the most depressing choice for New Jersey voters in a generation, with two awful candidates whose most convincing argument is that the other guy is unfit to serve.”

The midterm elections of 2018 served up something of a bumper crop for the (unofficial) Indictment Caucus. New York’s Chris Collins (insider trading) and California’s Duncan Hunter (campaign corruption) were sent back to Washington. So was Montana’s Greg Gianforte, who pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery after body-slamming a reporter in 2017. Last November, Gianforte was elected Montana’s governor………

This was almost 2 weeks ago. I've also read about a white powder substance mailed to the DA's office.

also, grifters gonna keep grifting
    Signing this petition, however, leads people to a page where they're asked to give $3,300, or other suggested amounts of cash, to his 2024 campaign.

This was almost 2 weeks ago. I've also read about a white powder substance mailed to the DA's office.

also, grifters gonna keep grifting
    Signing this petition, however, leads people to a page where they're asked to give $3,300, or other suggested amounts of cash, to his 2024 campaign.
    Apparently he’s also saying something along the lines of “if you did well financially during my presidency because of my policies you need to return the favor and donate to help fight these charges“

I'm wondering how the OP feels about the fact that the vast majority of the R party is now defending the orange maniac.....I thought there was no way he would get the nomination because his precious R party would reject Trump and pave the way for a new, wannabe tinpot dictator......
    To be fair, I wouldn't call just under 60% a vast majority of Republicans. Iirc, polling has DeSantis with over 40% supporting him over Trump.

That said, if DeSantis was out of the picture, a large percentage would likely back Trump.

To be fair, I wouldn't call just under 60% a vast majority of Republicans. Iirc, polling has DeSantis with over 40% supporting him over Trump.

That said, if DeSantis was out of the picture, a large percentage would likely back Trump.
    @DaveXA answered a question that was posed to me by @SFIDC3 .....that's fine :)
    I had ignored that question and PM'd SFIDC3 that I'd prefer those kind of discussions to be here on this thread...
    I am hoping the thread we are on now is more focused on anti Trump rather than anti Republican or asking SteveSBrickNJ to defend my previous predictions from Jan. 2002. Please use this forum to discuss the Trump's indictment....handcuffs or no handcuffs?....mug shot or no mugshot?.....Will the mug shot go on a t shirt so Trump can commercialize it?
    etc. etc.
    Use the Republican 2024 Primary DeSantis-Trump thread for what @SFIDC3 wanted to discuss

Last edited:
    @DaveXA answered a question that was posed to me by @SFIDC3 .....that's fine :)
    I had ignored that question and PM'd SFIDC3 that I'd prefer those kind of discussions to be here on this thread...
    I am hoping the thread we are on now is more focused on anti Trump rather than anti Republican or asking SteveSBrickNJ to defend my previous predictions from Jan. 2002. Please use this forum to discuss the Trump's indictment....handcuffs or no handcuffs?....mug shot or no mugshot?.....Will the mug shot go on a t shirt so Trump can commercialize it?
    etc. etc.
    Use the Republican 2024 Primary DeSantis-Trump thread for what @SFIDC3 wanted to discuss

That's the risk you run when you start a new topic that is similar to an existing one. The conversations are bound to cross over at some point. It's the nature of having an open discussion.

That said, refusing to answer a legitimate question because you've decided it's in the wrong thread is not conducive to the aforementioned open discussion.

DeSantis is supporting Trump, he could be silent on it but chooses to kiss the ring.....also

That's the risk you run when you start a new topic that is similar to an existing one. The conversations are bound to cross over at some point. It's the nature of having an open discussion.

That said, refusing to answer a legitimate question because you've decided it's in the wrong thread is not conducive to the aforementioned open discussion.

QFT above, I found it very strange that Steve somehow thinks the question isn't relevant in this thread or why that matters even....I mean I guess when you have been pretty much wrong about everything up to now you get tired of hearing about it?

DeSantis is supporting Trump, he could be silent on it but chooses to kiss the ring.....also

QFT above, I found it very strange that Steve somehow thinks the question isn't relevant in this thread or why that matters even....I mean I guess when you have been pretty much wrong about everything up to now you get tired of hearing about it?
    There are posters on this thread that are new to me. They were attracted by this thread's title and the topic. I don't want to turn them off or lose them.
    I'm sure those posters would rather stick to what I said in the in Post 32.
    If @SFIDC3 wishes to make fun of me and be immature, please do so on the other forum thread.
    This specific thread is about Trump....and the NY Prosecutor Alvin Bragg. THIS TREAD is about All things relating to holding Donald Trump accountable and how will things unfold.
    That's the focus. I will not respond to anything about me on this thread.
    (This thread is NOT about me )

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom