Should we see the removal of statues like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. (1 Viewer)

cuddlemonkey

Well-known monkey
Reaction score
Many communist USSR satellite nations had a ton of statues of communist leaders. Once the USSR fell the statues were removed, however, they can still be seen in museums.

After Lithuania regained its independence in 1990, various Soviet statues were taken down and dumped in different places. Malinauskas requested the Lithuanian authorities to grant him the possession of the sculptures, so that he could build a privately financed museum. This Soviet-theme park was created in the wetlands of the Dzūkija National Park. Many of its features are re-creations of Soviet Gulag prison camps: wooden paths, guard towers, and barbed-wire fences.

1920px-All_the_gang_-_panoramio.jpg

There is a commie statues graveyard in Estonia.

Tallinn-2015-36_new.jpg

The Confederate statues could be removed and place in a museum.

I don't think anyone would complain if they were in a museum where they can be framed in the proper historical context.

UncleTrvlingJim

Reaction score
Many communist USSR satellite nations had a ton of statues of communist leaders. Once the USSR fell the statues were removed, however, they can still be seen in museums.

After Lithuania regained its independence in 1990, various Soviet statues were taken down and dumped in different places. Malinauskas requested the Lithuanian authorities to grant him the possession of the sculptures, so that he could build a privately financed museum. This Soviet-theme park was created in the wetlands of the Dzūkija National Park. Many of its features are re-creations of Soviet Gulag prison camps: wooden paths, guard towers, and barbed-wire fences.

1920px-All_the_gang_-_panoramio.jpg

There is a commie statues graveyard in Estonia.

Tallinn-2015-36_new.jpg

The Confederate statues could be removed and place in a museum.

I've been to that park in Lithuania. It's really well done.

Paul

Reaction score
I've been to that park in Lithuania. It's really well done.
My son visited the park, that is how I knew it existed. That could easily do that with confederate statues.
The statues issue brings on a point. When MLK was fighting for rights the statues were not on his sight as he had much bigger fish to fry. Is this a sign of progress? Columbus is also a target.

Saintman2884

Reaction score
My son visited the park, that is how I knew it existed. That could easily do that with confederate statues.
The statues issue brings on a point. When MLK was fighting for rights the statues were not on his sight as he had much bigger fish to fry. Is this a sign of progress? Columbus is also a target.
As far as I'm concerned, Columbus wasnt the first European explorer, adventurer to "discover" North or South America, my ancestors (Vikings), IMHO, one of my personal underrated, over-looked groups, explorers, raiders, conquerors, traders in world history. The Old Norse Scandivinavian Vikings from Greenland were certainly and keenly aware of the facts they had found, were exploring and making trade contacts with indigenious Native American tribes in new regions(Vinland, Markland, and Helluland) previously untouched and unknown to other medieval European kings, monarchs, dukes or dynasties. And the Norse settlers, colonists in both Iceland and Greenland maintained these trading relationships with these tribes until early 15th century when Greenland's climate became too bitterly harsh and cold due to the Little Ice Age occuring around same time (and lasted until late 19th century).

I believe Columbus should be seen as similar to later Spanish conquistadors Cortez, and Pizarro in terms of formenting rebellions against Aztecs, Mayan, and Inca empires by stoking up tribal resentments ruled over and dominated for decades only to switch one terrible oppressor for an even worser one. Hermon Cortez and Pizarro each committed acts of ethnic cleansing, wholesale murder, breaking promises made to former subjugated native tribes for freedom for their support in defeating their former rulers only to enslave, work them to death, even genocidal acts.

Paul

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, Columbus wasnt the first European explorer, adventurer to "discover" North or South America, my ancestors (Vikings), IMHO, one of my personal underrated, over-looked groups, explorers, raiders, conquerors, traders in world history. The Old Norse Scandivinavian Vikings from Greenland were certainly and keenly aware of the facts they had found, were exploring and making trade contacts with indigenious Native American tribes in new regions(Vinland, Markland, and Helluland) previously untouched and unknown to other medieval European kings, monarchs, dukes or dynasties. And the Norse settlers, colonists in both Iceland and Greenland maintained these trading relationships with these tribes until early 15th century when Greenland's climate became too bitterly harsh and cold due to the Little Ice Age occuring around same time (and lasted until late 19th century).

I believe Columbus should be seen as similar to later Spanish conquistadors Cortez, and Pizarro in terms of formenting rebellions against Aztecs, Mayan, and Inca empires by stoking up tribal resentments ruled over and dominated for decades only to switch one terrible oppressor for an even worser one. Hermon Cortez and Pizarro each committed acts of ethnic cleansing, wholesale murder, breaking promises made to former subjugated native tribes for freedom for their support in defeating their former rulers only to enslave, work them to death, even genocidal acts.
I do not disagree with anything you have posted. Columbus was just one of the early explorers. At some point Columbus was identified as the person that opened the doors for Europeans to settle in the Americans. Columbus died in 1506, that is more than five centuries ago. It would take more than a hundred years before the first slave came to America in the early 1600s.

Demolishing the statues of Columbus does nothing for black America. It is just virtue signaling.

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Reaction score
I do not disagree with anything you have posted. Columbus was just one of the early explorers. At some point Columbus was identified as the person that opened the doors for Europeans to settle in the Americans. Columbus died in 1506, that is more than five centuries ago. It would take more than a hundred years before the first slave came to America in the early 1600s.

Demolishing the statues of Columbus does nothing for black America. It is just virtue signaling.
IMO, you could insert any statue for 'columbus' and the sentence would still be 100% correct.

MT15

Reaction score
This is funny Saul, coming on the day we hear about Trump telling his chief of staff that Hitler did some good things. The ultimate both sides statement. Lol.

MT15

Reaction score
Who did you see and what statues were “brought down”?

MT15

Reaction score
I don’t need to google anything, because I didn’t make the statement that made it sound like there were multiple statues of Columbus “brought down” by people other than Native Americans. 🤷‍♀️

Paul

Reaction score
I don’t need to google anything, because I didn’t make the statement that made it sound like there were multiple statues of Columbus “brought down” by people other than Native Americans. 🤷‍♀️
Ok, I will google and see what I find.
According to CBS news 33 statues of Christopher Columbus have come down since June 2020.

Saintamaniac

Rise Sons of the Gold & Purple
Reaction score
I did not see many native Americans bringing the statues down.
Seeing them come down has been meaningful for Jorge Baracutei Estevez, the cacike, or chief, of the Higuayagua Taíno, a cultural group dedicated to the rescue of Taino culture and language.

"For [the statues] coming down, it's almost like a weight off my chest because it's like a validation," he told CBS News.
Who did you see and what statues were “brought down”?

I am doing this from memory, but I believe a statue in Baltimore came down.

According to CBS news 33 statues of Christopher Columbus have come down since June 2020.
This might be semantics at play but a statue being removed (i.e "brought down") is different than a statue being torn down. The article from CBS did mention that...
Since June, statues of Columbus have been either toppled by protesters, voted to be removed or stored away to avoid vandalism, with their futures being decided.

Saint by the Bay

Reaction score
Christopher Columbus statues coming down predate BLM. Heck, there was an entire episode in season 2 of The Sopranos about it. It's been an issue since the 1950's. Charlottesville is really what sparked the Tear Them Down movement by reigniting the national conversation. The BLM movement just motivated people across the spectrum on both sides of these types of culture war issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Top Bottom