Should we see the removal of statues like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

TheRealTruth

Reaction score
    Recently CNN aired an interview where one of the guests suggested what is in the topic.

I agree with the removal of confederate statues around the country, but should this also be done for founding fathers?

I could care less about Columbus, but as a child I was taught he discovered America and as a result we had a Hispanic culture. Spain's old Roman name was Hispania. Most towns in South America have statues of Columbus and it is just part of the landscape. The guy has been dead for over five centuries and barking at Columbus is an empty feel good move or virtue signaling.

Columbus may have not been Italian. It is quite possible he was a Spanish Jew, but who cares. There are much bigger fish to fry in the present. How about reducing murder and violence in the cities of America? That is a billion times worse than a statue of a guy that has been dead for over five centuries.
    I haven't heard any notable historians suggest that Columbus came from a secret line of Spanish conversoes (former medieval Spanish Jews forcibly converted to Christianity during the Iberian Reconquista) after Spanish Christian crusaders captured former Muslim Moorish cities, towns and villages and began worshipping their ancestral faith in secret until Vatican inquisitors found out about it and with papal blessing at the Lateran Council, began a near-500 year old intermittent period of religious persecution, painful, creatively excruciating forms of torture, public burnings of Spanish Jews, Moorish Muslims, accused, alleged witches, Spanish or foreign-born Protestants, free-thinkers, Enlightenment philosophes, practioners, and even free masons thats been appropriately labeled the Spanish Inquisition. The Inquisition really didnt end, for the most part, until after Napoleon's invasion and conquest of Spain and even after his eventual 1815 Waterloo defeat, while there were some periodic half-hearted attempts by several Spanish governments to continue the Inquisition, it eventually peetered out by the 1830's.

Christopher Columbus wasnt the first European explorer to discover the New World, my ancestors (Vikings) did in an around 1000 C.E. in a settlement discovered by two Swedish archeologists in early 1960's in Newfoundland (L'anse aux-Meadows).

Supposedly, the ancient Romans had two names for Spain: Hispania and they called the entire peninsula combining Spain and Portugal Iberia. It took the Romans centuries to conquer the western Iberian peninsula settled by Celtic Lusitanians tribe who fought a long, brutal, and protracted guerrila war against Romans and it wasnt until Octavian, Rome's first emperor, that the last Lusitanian resistance was ended and Roman control over Iberian peninsula was secure for the next 5 centuries. Plus, before Roman conquest and annexation, Spain had been a Carthaginian colony for centuries leading up to the ancient Punic Wars. Hannibal Barca's father, actually served as Carthaginian governor in the region. The later Roman general and Trajan (IMHO, one of Rome's best, most successful emperors), was born into a Romanized Spanish equestrian noble family and raised in Spain.

I haven't heard any notable historians suggest that Columbus came from a secret line of Spanish conversoes (former medieval Spanish Jews forcibly converted to Christianity during the Iberian Reconquista) after Spanish Christian crusaders captured former Muslim Moorish cities, towns and villages and began worshipping their ancestral faith in secret until Vatican inquisitors found out about it and with papal blessing at the Lateran Council, began a near-500 year old intermittent period of religious persecution, painful, creatively excruciating forms of torture, public burnings of Spanish Jews, Moorish Muslims, accused, alleged witches, Spanish or foreign-born Protestants, free-thinkers, Enlightenment philosophes, practioners, and even free masons thats been appropriately labeled the Spanish Inquisition. The Inquisition really didnt end, for the most part, until after Napoleon's invasion and conquest of Spain and even after his eventual 1815 Waterloo defeat, while there were some periodic half-hearted attempts by several Spanish governments to continue the Inquisition, it eventually peetered out by the 1830's.

Christopher Columbus wasnt the first European explorer to discover the New World, my ancestors (Vikings) did in an around 1000 C.E. in a settlement discovered by two Swedish archeologists in early 1960's in Newfoundland (L'anse aux-Meadows).

Supposedly, the ancient Romans had two names for Spain: Hispania and they called the entire peninsula combining Spain and Portugal Iberia. It took the Romans centuries to conquer the western Iberian peninsula settled by Celtic Lusitanians tribe who fought a long, brutal, and protracted guerrila war against Romans and it wasnt until Octavian, Rome's first emperor, that the last Lusitanian resistance was ended and Roman control over Iberian peninsula was secure for the next 5 centuries. Plus, before Roman conquest and annexation, Spain had been a Carthaginian colony for centuries leading up to the ancient Punic Wars. Hannibal Barca's father, actually served as Carthaginian governor in the region. The later Roman general and Trajan (IMHO, one of Rome's best, most successful emperors), was born into a Romanized Spanish equestrian noble family and raised in Spain.
    Thank you for that history.

"Supporters of the idea that Columbus was from Spain after all have also gotten a boost in recent years. In 2009, Georgetown University linguistic professor Estelle Irizarry published her book, "Christopher Columbus: The DNA of His Writings," based on close examination of hundreds of documents written by Columbus. According to her research, he was born in the kingdom of Aragon, in Northern Spain, and his primary language was Castilian (there are no existing documents in which Columbus used Ligurian, the common language of Genoa).

But if he was Spanish all along, why go to great lengths to disguise his identity? Because, Irizarry and a number of other historians argue, Columbus was actually Jewish. Linguistic traits in his writings led them to believe Columbus was raised learning Ladino, a hybrid form of Castilian Spanish, comparable to Yiddish, which was spoken by Spain’s Sephardic Jewish community. They believe there is ample evidence to support their conclusions, including the existence of a Hebrew blessing, “with God’s help,” on all but one of Columbus’ letters to another son, Diego (but which do not appear on letters to anyone outside his family)."

As a child in elementry school we learned everything there is to know about Columbus. The name of the three ships "La Niña, La pinta, y la Santa María". We all knew the name Rodrigo de Triana, the man that saw land on top of the mast .

On the Plaza de la Virgen Milagrosa in the center of Triana, Sevilla's quarter on the isle de la Cartuja, stands this statue of the lookout of the Pinta, Rodrigo de Triana, at the moment he spotted the New World.

Last edited:
    https://spectrumnews1.com/wi/milwau...wisconsin-removes-rock-seen-as-sign-of-racism

Problem solved?

Here is the original story that triggered so many brave students to fee threatened and hurt by a rock

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_e4cfcb52-774c-53ab-8b46-34009a0aeb64.html

Any people still expect the country to take this seriously? Sounds like extremely soft and fragile people or eithers maybe they need to seek some type of counseling. Triggered by a rock. We are such a brave and powerful society.

You should probably save up some of your outrage. You won’t have anything left when there is really something to be upset about. Meanwhile you are lining the pockets of internet trolls who are feeding you this stuff and making out like bandits. 🤷‍♀️

So about that boulder above:

A. Chamberlin Rock, named for former university president and geologist Thomas Crowder Chamberlin, was at least once referred to as a “n——-head” rock (and apparently the kkk was very active on campus back then)

B. “Removing the rock as a monument in a prominent location prevents further harm to our community while preserving the rock’s educational research value for our current and future students,” said Gary Brown, the university’s director of campus planning and landscape architecture.

C. Brown said the estimated cost of removal is less than $50,000, funded by private donations. (so obviously there was enough people to have concerns to be able to pool such a sum to get it moved)

D. Blank approved the proposal recommendation in January, but the Wisconsin Historical Society needed to sign off on the rock’s removal because it was located near a Native American burial site. (so this wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction)

So about that boulder above:

A. Chamberlin Rock, named for former university president and geologist Thomas Crowder Chamberlin, was at least once referred to as a “n——-head” rock (and apparently the kkk was very active on campus back then)

B. “Removing the rock as a monument in a prominent location prevents further harm to our community while preserving the rock’s educational research value for our current and future students,” said Gary Brown, the university’s director of campus planning and landscape architecture.

C. Brown said the estimated cost of removal is less than $50,000, funded by private donations. (so obviously there was enough people to have concerns to be able to pool such a sum to get it moved)

D. Blank approved the proposal recommendation in January, but the Wisconsin Historical Society needed to sign off on the rock’s removal because it was located near a Native American burial site. (so this wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction)
    It was a rock.
    An article in 1929 used as a fairly common phrase for the day when documenting an effort to move it...again, in 1929. That is the only reason. David Duke didn't stand on it and deliver a hate filled speech.
    If a rock was hurting your feeling, you really need to seek professional help. These are the kids colleges are producing? Higher education is really becoming a joke. An expensive joke, but comical all the same.

It was a rock.
    An article in 1929 used as a fairly common phrase for the day when documenting an effort to move it...again, in 1929. That is the only reason. David Duke didn't stand on it and deliver a hate filled speech.
    If a rock was hurting your feeling, you really need to seek professional help. These are the kids colleges are producing? Higher education is really becoming a joke. An expensive joke, but comical all the same.
    If a rock being removed hurts your feelings, you really need to seek professional help.

it's just a rock. Why would you even click an article that talks about it being removed. Who cares? it's just a rock.

If a rock being removed hurts your feelings, you really need to seek professional help.

it's just a rock. Why would you even click an article that talks about it being removed. Who cares? it's just a rock.
    Oh, tired and worn out lefty retaliation.
    "Why does something that we are doing that is strictly for publicity that is completely and 100% abnormal bother you? Why do you even notice our temper tantrum but also, please notice our temper tantrum so we can virtue signal how 'woke' we are!?"

The answer is because I have to live in the same society as your temper tantrum and I have kids, so I have skin in the game.

It does hurt my feelings. I happen to really enjoy geology, so why do a bunch of weak willed and weak minded babies get to pitch a fit over the use of a word in an article almost 100 years ago? Because their tummies hurt over it? We are producing the weakest generation ever in human history but the good news is they believe they are the smartest, bravest, morally virtuous and intelligent to ever live. They also believe every generation before them was a mistake.

So, you think this is perfectly normal reaction to the Black Student Union?

Oh, tired and worn out lefty retaliation.
    "Why does something that we are doing that is strictly for publicity that is completely and 100% abnormal bother you? Why do you even notice our temper tantrum but also, please notice our temper tantrum so we can virtue signal how 'woke' we are!?"

The answer is because I have to live in the same society as your temper tantrum and I have kids, so I have skin in the game.

It does hurt my feelings. I happen to really enjoy geology, so why do a bunch of weak willed and weak minded babies get to pitch a fit over the use of a word in an article almost 100 years ago? Because their tummies hurt over it? We are producing the weakest generation ever in human history but the good news is they believe they are the smartest, bravest, morally virtuous and intelligent to ever live. They also believe every generation before them was a mistake.

So, you think this is perfectly normal reaction to the Black Student Union?
    Had you ever heard of this rock before this story?

Had you ever heard of this rock before this story?
    I have not. I have also never heard of Kathy Hochul until today. Not sure your point. Are you suggesting that because someone has never heard of something before a news article then they are not allowed to care about it after hearing about it? I guess the world news just got real boring.

I have not. I have also never heard of Kathy Hochul until today. Not sure your point. Are you suggesting that because someone has never heard of something before a news article then they are not allowed to care about it after hearing about it? I guess the world news just got real boring.
    It's just weird that you care about a rock that is on a campus that you will never set foot on.

It's almost like the media has manipulated you into caring about something that has absolutely no impact on your life.

It's just weird that you care about a rock that is on a campus that you will never set foot on.

It's almost like the media has manipulated you into caring about something that has absolutely no impact on your life.
    I think it is weird that kids get so offended by a newspaper article from 1927 that a college has to move a rock and the 'adults' defend the babies when someone calls it what it is, stupid.

That would be a decent argument if it was limited to confederate statues.

I think it is weird that kids get so offended by a newspaper article from 1927 that a college has to move a rock and the 'adults' defend the babies when someone calls it what it is, stupid.

That would be a decent argument if it was limited to confederate statues.

Yea me too. Kids are weird. I try not to get my panties in a bunch over it.

They are probably on your lawn as we speak.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom