Should we see the removal of statues like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. (1 Viewer)

bdb13

Reaction score
Removing statutes of Hitler (assuming anyone would think it's a good idea to erect one in the United States) would merely be virtue signaling? Am I stating your position correctly?

If so then mark me down as a polite 'disagree.'
Oh yeah, Hitler statues most assuredly should all have been left to stand as an honor to German history and heritage..

And if you don't feel that way you're a virtue signaling liberal piece of shirt.

Lol sigh

bdb13

Reaction score
Oh yeah, Hitler statues most assuredly should all have been left to stand as an honor to German history and heritage..

And if you don't feel that way you're a virtue signaling liberal piece of shirt.

Lol sigh
If that is still 'virtue signaling' then it's being used in such a broad way that the term is rendered meaningless.

Taurus

Reaction score
I saw recently one of the on-line Maoist struggle session on line and a dude of Lakota heritage was pissed because Mt. Rushmore was his tribe's 'sacred mountains'. He obviously didn't know what his tribe did to the tribe that was there before his team decided they wanted the area. On top of that, what the other tribe did to the tribe before and so on.
That is why this 'stolen' land narrative is just stupid and unfounded in reality.

Precisely the same thing applies to Jerusalem.

bdb13

Reaction score
It always has been meaningless.
Well if it' was supposed to have any teeth at all outside of it being a catchy thing to say in right-wing circles.. it certainly gets exposed with the Hitler example.

bdb13

Reaction score
Well if it' was supposed to have any teeth at all outside of it being a catchy thing to say in right-wing circles.. it certainly gets exposed with the Hitler example.
This all got me reading on it though and I think I generally agree with this take:

There are most certainly some folks who latch on to every cause, and their passion never rises above virtue signalling. They never act, but they never stop patting themselves on the back for saying the right thing when it’s popular to say it (and somehow, they never feel the urge to speak up when their cause is unpopular). One day, they’re slapping a flag overlay on their profile picture; the next day, they’re wearing safety pins; the next, they’re insisting that everyone stop what they’re doing and sign a useless change.org petition. And that’s all they do. They endlessly congratulate themselves as they flit from one cause to the next, from passion to passion, never seeming to notice that they stopped talking about yesterday’s all-consuming cause as soon as the hashtag stopped trending.

This is pure virtue signalling, and it’s gross. It changes nothing, it means nothing, and it’s actually counterproductive, as it relieves us from truly thinking, engaging, and acting. It’s the ultimate participation trophy: Hooray, you had the courage to be on Twitter and retweet something popular! Go put your feet up, you warrior, you.

So, phooey on this.

There is, however, another large group of people who were saying things very similar to what the virtue signallers were saying: I reject racism. I denounce Nazis. They don’t belong here; they don’t speak for me. America is better than this.

These folks felt like that had to say something, because they were confronted with something so monstrous and incomprehensible, they could not be silent. They wanted to do something, and there was nothing to be done — nothing but saying something. So they said something.

This isn’t virtue signalling. This is the normal, healthy response of a human being who feels appropriate sorrow, appropriate outrage toward aggressors, and appropriate compassion toward victims. It would be best, and truly virtuous, to follow up a public statement with some kind of action — praying, perhaps, or getting more involved in local politics, or sending a note to someone who identifies with the victim. But there’s nothing inherently odious or insincere about responding to evil with a loud, public “Hell, no.”

So off the top of my head the most obvious example of virtue signaling that I can think of is when the GOP was giving Obama hell for not wearing the flag lapel.

Last edited:

MT15

Reaction score
Don’t forget CRT, which has recently been cleansed of any actual meaning.

All of these terms have been bastageized beyond usefulness. IMO.

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Reaction score
So "property rights" and "homeland" are null terms. Got it.
for virtue signaling (to keep in the theme here) about stolen land, strangely, it only seems to apply to European or western civilization, it is null.

Crying about stolen land is the same and wanting participation trophy. Your team lost. Just like the team that your team took the land from also lost.

Saintman2884

Reaction score
I could care less about Columbus, but as a child I was taught he discovered America and as a result we had a Hispanic culture. Spain's old Roman name was Hispania. Most towns in South America have statues of Columbus and it is just part of the landscape. The guy has been dead for over five centuries and barking at Columbus is an empty feel good move or virtue signaling.

Columbus may have not been Italian. It is quite possible he was a Spanish Jew, but who cares. There are much bigger fish to fry in the present. How about reducing murder and violence in the cities of America? That is a billion times worse than a statue of a guy that has been dead for over five centuries.
I haven't heard any notable historians suggest that Columbus came from a secret line of Spanish conversoes (former medieval Spanish Jews forcibly converted to Christianity during the Iberian Reconquista) after Spanish Christian crusaders captured former Muslim Moorish cities, towns and villages and began worshipping their ancestral faith in secret until Vatican inquisitors found out about it and with papal blessing at the Lateran Council, began a near-500 year old intermittent period of religious persecution, painful, creatively excruciating forms of torture, public burnings of Spanish Jews, Moorish Muslims, accused, alleged witches, Spanish or foreign-born Protestants, free-thinkers, Enlightenment philosophes, practioners, and even free masons thats been appropriately labeled the Spanish Inquisition. The Inquisition really didnt end, for the most part, until after Napoleon's invasion and conquest of Spain and even after his eventual 1815 Waterloo defeat, while there were some periodic half-hearted attempts by several Spanish governments to continue the Inquisition, it eventually peetered out by the 1830's.

Christopher Columbus wasnt the first European explorer to discover the New World, my ancestors (Vikings) did in an around 1000 C.E. in a settlement discovered by two Swedish archeologists in early 1960's in Newfoundland (L'anse aux-Meadows).

Supposedly, the ancient Romans had two names for Spain: Hispania and they called the entire peninsula combining Spain and Portugal Iberia. It took the Romans centuries to conquer the western Iberian peninsula settled by Celtic Lusitanians tribe who fought a long, brutal, and protracted guerrila war against Romans and it wasnt until Octavian, Rome's first emperor, that the last Lusitanian resistance was ended and Roman control over Iberian peninsula was secure for the next 5 centuries. Plus, before Roman conquest and annexation, Spain had been a Carthaginian colony for centuries leading up to the ancient Punic Wars. Hannibal Barca's father, actually served as Carthaginian governor in the region. The later Roman general and Trajan (IMHO, one of Rome's best, most successful emperors), was born into a Romanized Spanish equestrian noble family and raised in Spain.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Top Bottom