Should we see the removal of statues like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

TheRealTruth

Reaction score
    Recently CNN aired an interview where one of the guests suggested what is in the topic.

I agree with the removal of confederate statues around the country, but should this also be done for founding fathers?

Well played and Yes still correct.
    Removing statutes of Hitler (assuming anyone would think it's a good idea to erect one in the United States) would merely be virtue signaling? Am I stating your position correctly?

If so then mark me down as a polite 'disagree.' In any event, as to the larger issue of Confederate statutes, I would offer (what is hopefully) the neutral position that the United States should not erect statutes of those who participated in armed rebellion against it.

Is there no irony in Trump supporters dressing themselves in garb that gives the appearance that an American flag vomited on them while simultaneously espousing the virtues of the Confederacy? They are ostensibly 1000% "patriotic" yet are okay with individuals (Confederates) who engaged in activities far worse than mere flag burning. Or perhaps those people want to establish an idea of America that is closer to the Confederacy and thus arguably not actual patriots.

images

Last edited:
    Removing statutes of Hitler (assuming anyone would think it's a good idea to erect one in the United States) would merely be virtue signaling? Am I stating your position correctly?

If so then mark me down as a polite 'disagree.'
    Oh yeah, Hitler statues most assuredly should all have been left to stand as an honor to German history and heritage..

And if you don't feel that way you're a virtue signaling liberal piece of shirt.

Lol sigh

Oh yeah, Hitler statues most assuredly should all have been left to stand as an honor to German history and heritage..

And if you don't feel that way you're a virtue signaling liberal piece of shirt.

Lol sigh
    If that is still 'virtue signaling' then it's being used in such a broad way that the term is rendered meaningless.

I saw recently one of the on-line Maoist struggle session on line and a dude of Lakota heritage was pissed because Mt. Rushmore was his tribe's 'sacred mountains'. He obviously didn't know what his tribe did to the tribe that was there before his team decided they wanted the area. On top of that, what the other tribe did to the tribe before and so on.
    That is why this 'stolen' land narrative is just stupid and unfounded in reality.

Precisely the same thing applies to Jerusalem.

Well if it' was supposed to have any teeth at all outside of it being a catchy thing to say in right-wing circles.. it certainly gets exposed with the Hitler example.
    This all got me reading on it though and I think I generally agree with this take:

There are most certainly some folks who latch on to every cause, and their passion never rises above virtue signalling. They never act, but they never stop patting themselves on the back for saying the right thing when it’s popular to say it (and somehow, they never feel the urge to speak up when their cause is unpopular). One day, they’re slapping a flag overlay on their profile picture; the next day, they’re wearing safety pins; the next, they’re insisting that everyone stop what they’re doing and sign a useless change.org petition. And that’s all they do. They endlessly congratulate themselves as they flit from one cause to the next, from passion to passion, never seeming to notice that they stopped talking about yesterday’s all-consuming cause as soon as the hashtag stopped trending.

This is pure virtue signalling, and it’s gross. It changes nothing, it means nothing, and it’s actually counterproductive, as it relieves us from truly thinking, engaging, and acting. It’s the ultimate participation trophy: Hooray, you had the courage to be on Twitter and retweet something popular! Go put your feet up, you warrior, you.

So, phooey on this.

There is, however, another large group of people who were saying things very similar to what the virtue signallers were saying: I reject racism. I denounce Nazis. They don’t belong here; they don’t speak for me. America is better than this.

These folks felt like that had to say something, because they were confronted with something so monstrous and incomprehensible, they could not be silent. They wanted to do something, and there was nothing to be done — nothing but saying something. So they said something.

This isn’t virtue signalling. This is the normal, healthy response of a human being who feels appropriate sorrow, appropriate outrage toward aggressors, and appropriate compassion toward victims. It would be best, and truly virtuous, to follow up a public statement with some kind of action — praying, perhaps, or getting more involved in local politics, or sending a note to someone who identifies with the victim. But there’s nothing inherently odious or insincere about responding to evil with a loud, public “Hell, no.”

So off the top of my head the most obvious example of virtue signaling that I can think of is when the GOP was giving Obama hell for not wearing the flag lapel.

Last edited:
    Don’t forget CRT, which has recently been cleansed of any actual meaning.

All of these terms have been bastageized beyond usefulness. IMO.

So "property rights" and "homeland" are null terms. Got it.
    for virtue signaling (to keep in the theme here) about stolen land, strangely, it only seems to apply to European or western civilization, it is null.

Crying about stolen land is the same and wanting participation trophy. Your team lost. Just like the team that your team took the land from also lost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom