SHOULD Biden run for a 2nd term? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Biden has lost support from many people who voted for him in the past.
    He is getting up there in age.
    Here are a couple of sites I'd like to share...
    WHAT DO ANY OF YOU THINK?
    IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY BEST SERVED BY HAVING PRESIDENT BIDEN RUN FOR ANOTHER TERM OR WOULD A DIFFERENT CANDIDATE BE BETTER? :unsure:

I disagree. There is no undeniable proof of that. It is easily deniable. The truth or facts isn't what's driving questions of his mental acuity, it's all perception.

But I also don't think it matters. People on both sides have decided what they want to believe. Biden isn't going to convince people that have already decided that he is senile, that he isn't.
    Perception is reality, but besides that, I think proof can be generated if someone wanted to take the time to put together a compilation of him now vs 2020 vs 2015. The bigger problem is that is that this is a big political problem. He is having to spend too much time just defending his mental acuity. Even in the press conference that he just gave to defend himself, he confused the leaders of Mexico and Gaza. It certainly only hurt his cause. I don't understand why Biden even wants to run again. His legacy is safe. He has done a great job. He can step aside and enjoy the rest of his life as an ex-president. It isn't too late. I think Gavin Newsome would immediately jump in the race if Biden decided not to run again. Gavin would have a much better chance to win.

Perception is reality, but besides that, I think proof can be generated if someone wanted to take the time to put together a compilation of him now vs 2020 vs 2015. The bigger problem is that is that this is a big political problem. He is having to spend too much time just defending his mental acuity. Even in the press conference that he just gave to defend himself, he confused the leaders of Mexico and Gaza. It certainly only hurt his cause. I don't understand why Biden even wants to run again. His legacy is safe. He has done a great job. He can step aside and enjoy the rest of his life as an ex-president. It isn't too late. I think Gavin Newsome would immediately jump in the race if Biden decided not to run again. Gavin would have a much better chance to win.

I don't agree with the statement that perception is reality. I know that a popular saying, but perception is perception and reality is reality. I think part of the reason we're in such a poor state as an electorate is that people let their basis filter their perceptions and distort reality. We really need to fight against that.

I don't really know that proof can be determined that way. It would be video evidence that Biden's older, but not that he's in mental decline. Also, in doing that you'd probably be ignoring ample evidence that he isn't in any cognitive decline.

Aside from that, I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
    I don't agree with the statement that perception is reality. I know that a popular saying, but perception is perception and reality is reality. I think part of the reason we're in such a poor state as an electorate is that people let their basis filter their perceptions and distort reality. We really need to fight against that.

I don't really know that proof can be determined that way. It works be video evidence that Biden's older, but not that he's in mental decline. Also, in don't that your probably be ignoring ample evidence that he isn't in any cognitive decline.

Aside from that, I don't disagree with the rest of your post.
    What is reality today? Reality is whatever a person perceives is reality. When a person is about to place his vote, do you think he's going to vote reality, or what he perceives? The answer is people will vote their perception. Fighting to make people believe reality got us Trump for 4 years. There was plenty of evidence of the reality that Trump was a criminal before he became president, and that he was dangerous, but not enough people believed the reality of Trump. I think the reality is that Biden can still do the job, and that his decline is not stark, but I'm not going to tell you that I'm not concerned about him. Why do you think Biden is doing so poorly in the polls? Inflation, economy, immigration, Gaza, yadda, yadda, yadda. Maybe those things are hurting his popularity somewhat, but those are easily defensible, and can even help him, but I believe the main problem is the perception of his declining mental acuity, which is much harder to defend, and I can't see how that is going to change.

If Biden can't be charged because he can't remember things, he has no business being President or running for re-election.
    That’s not what the report said. That’s what liars are saying about it.

I think you made a mistake here. It was Mexico and Egypt. And you weren’t speaking you were typing. Jesse Waters misspoke just yesterday after he got done lying about Biden’s mental capacity and said Noem was the governor of one of the Carolinas. This kind of misspeaking is meaningless when we are talking about senility or dementia.

What is reality today?

That Biden is president and has the mental capacity to carry out the duties of the job.

Reality is whatever a person perceives is reality. When a person is about to place his vote, do you think he's going to vote reality, or what he perceives? The answer is people will vote their perception. Fighting to make people believe reality got us Trump for 4 years. There was plenty of evidence of the reality that Trump was a criminal before he became president, and that he was dangerous, but not enough people believed the reality of Trump. I think the reality is that Biden can still do the job, and that his decline is not stark, but I'm not going to tell you that I'm not concerned about him. Why do you think Biden is doing so poorly in the polls? Inflation, economy, immigration, Gaza, yadda, yadda, yadda. Maybe those things are hurting his popularity somewhat, but those are easily defensible, and can even help him, but I believe the main problem is the perception of his declining mental acuity, which is much harder to defend, and I can't see how that is going to change.

Even though I disagree with the premises that perception is reality, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Biden has an electoral problem because of his age. I also agree with the belief that it's not going to go away. It could very well cost him the presidency.

Not really, given that the burden of proof is usually on the person/group making the claim.

I'm making the claim that there's some variable level of cognitive decline based on many observations.

I think it's evident that Biden isn't as sharp as he was 10 years ago, but video of him forgetting things isn't evidence of any sever mental decline to the point that he can't handle his job as president. It's also not proof that he won't be able to do it for the next 4/5 years. Regardless, I understand why it's something people are concerned about.

I think it's more than just forgetting things. Yesterday, for example, in taking questions after the special counsel report - Biden without hesitation referred to Egyptian president El-Sisi as the 'President of Mexico' when talking about the current Israel-Hamas conflict.

It's not proof - and again, I'm not claiming nor have I ever claimed the guy has dementia. But I don't feel confident in him being able to hold the presidency much longer. I think if he won the presidency it'd be a good idea if he let Harris or even Buttigieg take the role. I think it's reasonable for people to have expectations that their CIC is firing on all cylinders in the most important job in the country, maybe the world.

But I don't weigh that factor any worse for Biden than I do for Trump. If anything, Trump to me is in a steeper decline and takes care of himself less than Biden does.

Trump is definitely not in great shape either. Remember, doctors 'said' then (and just recently) that he is in 'excellent' physical shape.

I'm sure when an election is involved they'll say a lot.

I think you made a mistake here. It was Mexico and Egypt. And you weren’t speaking you were typing. Jesse Waters misspoke just yesterday after he got done lying about Biden’s mental capacity and said Noem was the governor of one of the Carolinas. This kind of misspeaking is meaningless when we are talking about senility or dementia.
    You're right, but not meaningful. I typed out the response in haste, and I realized that shortly after I posted, but I didn't bother to correct it. I had not carefully listened to Biden's press conference, but I knew he had mistaken the leader of Mexico with another leader, and since I knew he was talking about Gaza, I assumed he meant the Hamas leaders. My reporting what someone else said is far different from saying it yourself, plus I'm not asking anyone to vote for me. In any event, you can believe Biden's mis-speaking is meaningless, like my reporting, but when the point of the event is to display your acuity, it is meaningful. Trump mis-speaks frequently, but the reality is that it has very little impact on the perception of his acuity. People have baked in that Trump is an idiot, plus his supporters don't care. Biden's supporters do care, so it impacts him far more.

That’s not what the report said. That’s what liars are saying about it.
    As usual, SFL distorts the truth (aka lies). Biden is not getting prosecuted for the same reason that no other president has been prosecuted, because Reagan and others also brought home classified materials. No president that cooperates and doesn't obstruct justice would be prosecuted. Trump wouldn't have gotten prosecuted if he didn't lie and obstruct. He isn't being prosecuted for bringing home the classified material. He is being prosecuted for lying and obstructing justice, and a few other nefarious actions unrelated to the original act of illegal possession.

You're right, but not meaningful. I typed out the response in haste, and I realized that shortly after I posted, but I didn't bother to correct it. I had not carefully listened to Biden's press conference, but I knew he had mistaken the leader of Mexico with another leader, and since I knew he was talking about Gaza, I assumed he meant the Hamas leaders. My reporting what someone else said is far different from saying it yourself, plus I'm not asking anyone to vote for me. In any event, you can believe Biden's mis-speaking is meaningless, like my reporting, but when the point of the event is to display your acuity, it is meaningful. Trump mis-speaks frequently, but the reality is that it has very little impact on the perception of his acuity. People have baked in that Trump is an idiot, plus his supporters don't care. Biden's supporters do care, so it impacts him far more.
    It impacts him more because the press talks about it constantly, thus helping the GOP hold Biden to a standard they dare not apply to Trump.

It isn’t meaningful to mix up two names. People of all ages do it when speaking publicly. The Speaker of the House, 2nd in line to the presidency and decades younger than Biden, did it the other day - confusing two nations’ names. Jesse Waters did it right after excoriating Biden for doing it.

It has nothing to do with dementia or senility. It has nothing to do with Biden’s ability to perform his duties.

That Biden is president and has the mental capacity to carry out the duties of the job.

Even though I disagree with the premises that perception is reality, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Biden has an electoral problem because of his age. I also agree with the belief that it's not going to go away. It could very well cost him the presidency.

Of course perception is not necessarily reality, but when someone votes, they vote on their perceptions. The reality may be that Biden is very mentally acute, while Trump is very compromised, but the real world impact will be based on the perceptions, and that's not the widespread perception, even if that's what we wish were true. Very few people know the reality, as the vast majority of us are seeing a choreographed presentation of the candidates, so perception is going to win out. Perhaps if there were objective evidence that Biden is mentally acute, that would overcome the perception, but I don't see that on the horizon.

Didn't Pelosi check on something that would help remove from office a president that was not funcitioning before she retired? I can't remeber exactly but I think it had someting to do with the 25th?
    He won't be the nominee. No amount of cheating will bring that broken horse across this finish line.

I still think Obama or Newsome.

I'm making the claim that there's some variable level of cognitive decline based on many observations.

I think it's more than just forgetting things. Yesterday, for example, in taking questions after the special counsel report - Biden without hesitation referred to Egyptian president El-Sisi as the 'President of Mexico' when talking about the current Israel-Hamas conflict.

It's not proof - and again, I'm not claiming nor have I ever claimed the guy has dementia. But I don't feel confident in him being able to hold the presidency much longer. I think if he won the presidency it'd be a good idea if he let Harris or even Buttigieg take the role. I think it's reasonable for people to have expectations that their CIC is firing on all cylinders in the most important job in the country, maybe the world.

Trump is definitely not in great shape either. Remember, doctors 'said' then (and just recently) that he is in 'excellent' physical shape.

I'm sure when an election is involved they'll say a lot.

I'm not really trying to convince you to feel differently than what you do about Biden. I'm not saying it's illogical, it's just not any type of conclusive proof that people keep claiming it is.

When multiple anonymous reports about Biden declining mentally start coming out from his staff, maybe I'll start putting more stock into it. Until then it's mostly just a political attack/election narrative. None the less, it's one that can have a significant negative effect on the election for Biden. Especially since the reporting on it isn't equally as critical of Trump’s own mental acuity.

It impacts him more because the press talks about it constantly, thus helping the GOP hold Biden to a standard they dare not apply to Trump.

It isn’t meaningful to mix up two names. People of all ages do it when speaking publicly. The Speaker of the House, 2nd in line to the presidency and decades younger than Biden, did it the other day - confusing two nations’ names. Jesse Waters did it right after excoriating Biden for doing it.

It has nothing to do with dementia or senility. It has nothing to do with Biden’s ability to perform his duties.
    It's not just this one incident that is driving the perception. Biden has always made gaffs, but they seem to be more prevalent. He is being scrutinized more, but that's because he seems so much older than Trump. All I'm saying is that a large portion of the electorate has this perception. It may be a media creation, but I think that is only partially true.

I heard someone today say how Biden would've been far been far better off talking about the immigration and foreign aid bills, and brushing off the report. He should've just accepted that he was not going to be charged. He should just tell the press that he wants to talk about substantive things, not that nonsense, but instead he got defensive, and made more mistakes that made matters worse.

It's not just this one incident that is driving the perception. Biden has always made gaffs, but they seem to be more prevalent. He is being scrutinized more, but that's because he seems so much older than Trump. All I'm saying is that a large portion of the electorate has this perception. It may be a media creation, but I think that is only partially true.

I heard someone today say how Biden would've been far been far better off talking about the immigration and foreign aid bills, and brushing off the report. He should've just accepted that he was not going to be charged. He should just tell the press that he wants to talk about substantive things, not that nonsense, but instead he got defensive, and made more mistakes that made matters worse.
    One mistake. And he got angry because of the cheap shot about Beau’s death. I would’ve been angry too.

Of course perception is not necessarily reality, but when someone votes, they vote on their perceptions. The reality may be that Biden is very mentally acute, while Trump is very compromised, but the real world impact will be based on the perceptions, and that's not the widespread perception, even if that's what we wish were true. Very few people know the reality, as the vast majority of us are seeing a choreographed presentation of the candidates, so perception is going to win out. Perhaps if there were objective evidence that Biden is mentally acute, that would overcome the perception, but I don't see that on the horizon.

This back and forth has gotten circular. I'm not even sure where we're at any more.

Didn't Pelosi check on something that would help remove from office a president that was not funcitioning before she retired? I can't remeber exactly but I think it had someting to do with the 25th?
    He won't be the nominee. No amount of cheating will bring that broken horse across this finish line.

I still think Obama or Newsome.
    The 25th amendment could be used to force Biden out, but he is definitely not senile today. I think he is still capable, and doing a great job. I think the issue is that many believe he has declined and won't be capable for 4 more years. If he were to get re-elected, it wouldn't shock me to see it used, but then again, I'm pretty sure Reagan was actually senile in his 2nd term, yet the amendment didn't get invoked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom