House Select Committee Hearings on Jan. 6 (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Trump die hards dismiss, deny no matter what
    ===================

One by one, several of Donald Trump’s former top advisers have told a special House committee investigating his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection that they didn’t believe his lies about the 2020 election, and that the former president knew he lost to Joe Biden.

But instead of convincing Trump’s most stalwart supporters, testimony from former attorney general Bill Barr and Trump’s daughter Ivanka about the election and the attack on the U.S. Capitol is prompting many of them to simply reassert their views that the former president was correct in his false claim of victory.

Barr’s testimony that Trump was repeatedly told there was no election fraud? He was paid off by a voting machine company, according to one false claim that went viral this week. Ivanka Trump saying she didn’t believe Trump either? It’s all part of Trump’s grand plan to confuse his enemies and save America.

The claims again demonstrate how deeply rooted Trump’s false narrative about the election has become.

“It’s cognitive dissonance,” said Jennifer Stromer-Galley, a Syracuse University professor who has studied how Trump used social media and advertising to mobilize his base. “If you believe what Trump says, and now Bill Barr and Trump’s own daughter are saying these other things, it creates a crack, and people have to fill it.”…..

Following his testimony, many Trump supporters using sites like Reddit, GETTR and Telegram blasted Barr as a turncoat and noted that he’s disputed Trump’s election claims before.

But many others began grasping for alternative explanations for this testimony.

“I’m still hoping Barr is playing a role,” one poster said on a Telegram channel popular with Trump supporters.

One post that spread widely this week suggested Barr was paid by Dominion Voting Systems, a company targeted by Trump and his supporters with baseless claims of vote rigging.

“From 2009 to 2018, DOMINION PAID BARR $1.2 million in cash and granted him another $1.1 million in stock awards, according to SEC filings. (No wonder Barr can’t find any voter fraud!),” the post read.

Wrong Dominion. Barr was paid by Dominion Energy, a publicly traded company headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, that provides power and heat to customers in several mid-Atlantic states.

Unlike Barr, Ivanka Trump has remained intensely popular with many Trump supporters and is seen by many as her father’s potential successor.

That may be why so many had to find an an alternative explanation for why she told Congress she didn’t accept her father’s claims.

Jordan Sather, a leading proponent of the QAnon theory, claims both Barr and Ivanka Trump lied during their testimony on Trump’s orders, part of an elaborate scheme to defeat Trump’s enemies by confusing Congress and the American public.

“I can just imagine Donald Trump telling Ivanka: ’Hey, go to this hearing, say these things. Screw with their heads,‘” Sather said last week on his online show…….

I think this is an overly negative view- sure the cult members won‘t be convinced. There simply aren’t enough of the true believers to elect him again. Let‘s just continue to support the hearings and talk with people about them reasonably. Most people will be convinced.

There simply aren’t enough of the true believers to elect him again. Let‘s just continue to support the hearings and talk with people about them reasonably. Most people will be convinced.
    I want to believe this is true. I really do. Just like the last two times, I fear that there are more people out there that will vote for trump if he is able to run again and they just won't say openly that they will.

I think this is an overly negative view- sure the cult members won‘t be convinced. There simply aren’t enough of the true believers to elect him again. Let‘s just continue to support the hearings and talk with people about them reasonably. Most people will be convinced.
    Won’t matter if he’s not prevented from running again. He’ll either win outright, or he’ll lose and declare victory, and have enough cronies in positions that matter to make it stick this time.

I'm assuming most of the commanders realized Trump was a nut job at that point so didn't think questioning the chain-of-command was worthwhile.

I'm assuming most of the commanders realized Trump was a nut job at that point so didn't think questioning the chain-of-command was worthwhile.
    I seem to recall testimony (or a statement) by someone up at the top of the military (perhaps SecDef), that Trump had given them the authority to deploy the National Guard at their discretion.

This may have been it, it's from a Vanity Fair interview with acting SecDef Christopher Miller:

"The president, Miller recalled, asked how many troops the Pentagon planned to turn out the following day. "We’re like, ‘We’re going to provide any National Guard support that the District requests,’" Miller responded. "And (Trump) goes, ‘You’re going to need 10,000 people.’ No, I’m not talking bullshirt. He said that. And we’re like, ‘Maybe. But you know, someone’s going to have to ask for it.’" At that point Miller remembered the president telling him, "‘You do what you need to do. You do what you need to do.’ He said, ‘You’re going to need 10,000.’ That’s what he said. Swear to God."

He may have been referring to Trump's statement "You do what you need to do" as saying "Call in the National Guard if you want to," and used that as authorization.

"GOP member of Jan. 6 committee warns that more violence is coming
    Rosalind S. Helderman

imrs.php.jpeg

Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois is one of two Republicans serving on the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack. (Demetrius Freeman/The Washington Post)

One of two Republican members of the House committee investigating the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, starkly warned Sunday that his own party’s lies could feed additional violence.

There is violence in the future, I’m going to tell you,” Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) said on ABC’s “This Week” program. “And until we get a grip on telling people the truth, we can’t expect any differently.”

Kinzinger, who defied party leadership by serving on the Democratic-led committee, described an alarming message he received at home in the mail several days ago threatening to execute him, his wife and their 5-month-old baby.

“I’d never seen or had anything like that. It was sent from the local area,” he said."

Last edited:
    What part of cali??

Mariposa County, the Mother of all counties in California. It's 60% to 40%, majority Republican.

This is the court house:

mariposa-county-courthouse.jpg

It was built in 1854. The town has become smaller, not larger, so it's still big enough, and is still in use today. It was the first court house built west of the Mississippi River, that's why the county is called the mother of counties. It was the very first county established in California.

It was built out of clear Sugar Pine, inside the walls are covered by 1 x 12 planks. They are sanded smooth and are white washed, not painted. Here's the main courtroom:

mariposa-county-courthouse.jpg

Those are oil lanterns hanging from the ceiling that have been retrofitted to have electric light bulbs. They still use the wood stove in winter to heat the room and to keep coffee hot. On the wall behind the bench that photo is the original Abraham Lincoln Presidential portrait. Not shown are the bench seating that rises up behind that wood stove like a lecture hall. They are like church pews.

One day when I was there for jury duty, I arrived early and slid my arse along every inch of every row of those bench seat so that my arse was in contact with every inch of those seats. Then I sat in every jury chair in the jury box and all of the prosecution and defense table chairs as well. Then I went over to the far side and slid my arse along the old prisoner bench that they no longer use.

My purpose in doing that was so I could say I've sat where Samuel Langhorne Clemens sat when he was a court reporter there.

I don't know where he sat, so I had to sit in every place that he could have sat. I sat everywhere anyone could have sat in that court room, so I know I know for sure that I sat down where he sat.

:D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom