General Election 2024 Biden vs Trump (9 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    As we head toward the summer and the National Party Conventions, it might be handy to have a thread focused on the upcoming matchup of current President Biden vs Former President Trump.
    As of April 28,2024 , CNN's poll shows Trump leading. Yet polls are not always accurate and they are constantly changing.
    Feel free to use this thread for all things relating to Biden vs Trump.

I also like the way Tom Nichols frames it. Preserving some illusion of moral superiority by disdaining both options is the ultimate selfish act. It is saying that you value the ability to think of yourself in a certain way over the actual well-being of your fellow citizens.

I fully admit to being this guy for a few years when I first became old enough to vote. This is the exact conclusion I came to and so I started voting because I'm not a selfish asshat.

If you vote your own self interest over those of the country you are spitting on every grave of every veteran who died to allow you to be so selfish.

I also like the way Tom Nichols frames it. Preserving some illusion of moral superiority by disdaining both options is the ultimate selfish act. It is saying that you value the ability to think of yourself in a certain way over the actual well-being of your fellow citizens.
    If you vote your own self interest over those of the country you are spitting on every grave of every veteran who died to allow you to be so selfish.

A while back in one of these threads, someone who served in the military and whose father (if I remember correctly) also served said their father taught them that you don't vote for your self-interest, you vote for what's in the best interest of everyone. They said their father taught them it was selfish to vote on self-interest. I wish I could remember the poster who wrote that or what to search for to find it so I could give them credit.

Thanks for the tweets from Tom Nichols, @MT15 . We should all vote like our vote is the deciding vote, because we never truly know that it won't be. I'm in CA, so the odds are extremely low that if I don't vote that Trump would win this state. I don't know that will happen, because we don't and can't ever no the future. What if millions of people decide, "there's I don't like about Biden, but Trump can't win here, so screw it, I'm not voting?"

Trump won in 2016, because just enough people decided, "I don't like Hillary and Trump can't win, so screw it, I'm not voting." Look at how that worked out.

A while back in one of these threads, someone who served in the military and whose father (if I remember correctly) also served said their father taught them that you don't vote for your self-interest, you vote for what's in the best interest of everyone. They said their father taught them it was selfish to vote on self-interest. I wish I could remember the poster who wrote that or what to search for to find it so I could give them credit.

Thanks for the tweets from Tom Nichols, @MT15 . We should all vote like our vote is the deciding vote, because we never truly know that it won't be. I'm in CA, so the odds are extremely low that if I don't vote that Trump would win this state. I don't know that will happen, because we don't and can't ever no the future. What if millions of people decide, "there's I don't like about Biden, but Trump can't win here, so screw it, I'm not voting?"

Trump won in 2016, because just enough people decided, "I don't like Hillary and Trump can't win, so screw it, I'm not voting." Look at how that worked out.
    That was me.

My father graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1969 and flew KC-135's and was the first to refuel the B-1 bomber over the ocean before their existence was acknowledged.

My brother commissioned as a Naval officer.

Both my grand fathers served in WW2, including my captain grandfather who earned the bronze star and Purple Heart at the Battle of the Buldge.

But my family isn't special. There are millions that have the same story.

Every person who died fighting for this country made the ultimate sacrifice at the altar of freedom did so to ensure this country would remain free.

Even in wars we shouldn't have been involved in, the soldiers did their jobs and protected freedom.

The idea that you go into that booth and pull the lever for someone because they will cut your taxes on the backs of others or because he hates the same people you hate is deplorable and is anti-American.

That was me.

My father graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1969 and flew KC-135's and was the first to refuel the B-1 bomber over the ocean before their existence was acknowledged.

My brother commissioned as a Naval officer.

Both my grand fathers served in WW2, including my captain grandfather who earned the bronze star and Purple Heart at the Battle of the Buldge.

But my family isn't special. There are millions that have the same story.

Every person who died fighting for this country made the ultimate sacrifice at the altar of freedom did so to ensure this country would remain free.

Even in wars we shouldn't have been involved in, the soldiers did their jobs and protected freedom.

The idea that you go into that booth and pull the lever for someone because they will cut your taxes on the backs of others or because he hates the same people you hate is deplorable and is anti-American.

I vaguely remember you sharing this. Not sure if I commented at the time or not, but my Dad was flying KC-135s around that time. Ended up stationed in Okinawa. Possibly flying a different aircraft at some point back then, too. I’m fuzzy on details of those early years and he didn’t talk much about his Vietnam service. He went on to fly F-111s.

Not to take away from your more important points.

It seems that MAGA is all outraged that Biden spoke about Trump in his speech in Normandy today. He spoke about the threats of fascism at a memorial service for soldiers who died during WWII, which was to …. defeat fascism? And they are saying he was talking about Trump, lol.

Donald Trump is vowing to wrest key spending powers from Congress if elected this November, promising to assert more control over the federal budget than any president in U.S. history.

The Constitution gives control over spending to Congress, but Trump and his aides maintain that the president should have much more discretion — including the authority to cease programs altogether, even if lawmakers fund them.

Depending on the response from the Supreme Court and Congress, Trump’s plans could upend the balance of power between the three branches of the federal government.

During his first term, Trump was impeached after refusing to spend money for Ukraine approved by Congress, as he pushed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to provide incriminating evidence about the Biden family.

At the time, Trump’s aides defended his actions as legal but largely did not dispute that the president is bound to adhere to budgetary law.

Since then, however, Trump and his advisers have prepared an attack on the limits on presidential spending authority.

On his campaign website, Trump has said he will push Congress to repeal parts of the 1974 law that restricts the president’s authority to spend federal dollars without congressional approval.

Trump has also said he will unilaterally challenge that law by cutting off funding for certain programs, promising on his first day in office to order every agency to identify “large chunks” of their budgets that would be halted by presidential edict…….

A battle-tested D.C. bureaucrat and self-described Christian nationalist is drawing up detailed plans for a sweeping expansion of presidential power in a second Trump administration.

Russ Vought, who served as the former president’s budget chief, calls his political strategy for razing long-standing guardrails “radical constitutionalism.”

He has helped craft proposals for Donald Trump to deploy the military to quash civil unrest, seize more control over the Justice Department and assert the power to withhold congressional appropriations — and that’s just on Trump’s first day back in office.

Vought, 48, is poised to steer this agenda from an influential perch in the White House, potentially as Trump’s chief of staff, according to some people involved in discussions about a second term who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations.

Since Trump left office, Vought has led the Center for Renewing America, part of a network of conservative advocacy groups staffed by former and potentially future Trump administration officials.

Vought’s rise is a reminder that if Trump is reelected, he has said he will surround himself with loyalists eager to carry out his wishes, even if they violate traditional norms against executive overreach.

“We are living in a post-Constitutional time,” Vought wrote in a seminal 2022 essay, which argued that the left has corrupted the nation’s laws and institutions.

Last week, after a jury convicted Trump of falsifying business records, Vought tweeted: “Do not tell me that we are living under the Constitution.”

Vought aims to harness what he calls the “woke and weaponized” bureaucracy that stymied the former president by stocking federal agencies with hardcore disciples who would wage culture wars on abortion and immigration.

The proposals championed by Vought and other Trump allies to fundamentally reset the balance of power would represent a historic shift — one they see as a needed corrective……..

Anyone who isn't a billionare and follows this should watch John Stewart eviscerate a former Treasury Secretary on why we balance these books always and solely on the backs of us little guys:

Well played by Jon Stewart. The guy he was interviewing basically was cool with corporations price gouging. I wish more of this was out there. How the deck is firmly stacked against the "little guys".

This is quite old ...from 2016. In Denmark.

I need this bus. Lol

768eaf0c-320b-436c-924d-bc8b8436fcd3_text.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom