Explain how Trump has so much support (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bayouboy

Reaction score
    I would like some layman answers to the question "How does Trump have so much support, right now"? The final two word are important context.

I somewhat understand how he became a "force" prior to the 2016 election. There were many factors that allowed him to gain steam. Anti-establishment and not being a true politician was a big turn on to some voters on the right at the time. He talked a good game and somehow found a way to the Presidency despite acting "unpresidential". Trump's time in office had some victories for the Republicans and the economy was humming prior to COVID.....but the shirt show that happened on a daily basis with him firing executive staff (that didn't agree with him) and the overall chaos that was the White House certainly should've had an effect on his supporters. This was all BEFORE losing the 2020 election and what ensued. What happened after the 2020 election is well documented and, in my opinion, should have buried him as a candidate for office for eternity.

With ALL of what happened since the 2020 election, how can he still have half of the country (give or take) as supporters? Had all the election denying, countless gaffs, and the attempt to circumvent the Constitution had not occurred and had he regrouped and formed a strategy to compete in 2024, I could see a lot of his supporters continuing to follow him and his message. But I can't get how so many Americans can overlook what happened in front of their own eyes. I am truly bewildered.

I realize this is a mostly left leaning community, so maybe you folks do not have a clue either but would like to hear opinions. Especially, if you still support Trump through all of the mess.

My bigger concern are the politicians that are bending over backwards to kiss Trump's butt. People who have been in Congress long enough to understand the long game and the reality. Their BEST POSSIBLE outcome right now is Trump gets elected and is president for 4 years, then he's gone...forever, and they will be stuck with whatever happens. Why they would lay down for him, instead of all banding together to get behind a legitimate republican candidate who could be president for 8 years is beyond me.
    YES!!!! YES!!!!

Especially with the "election was stolen" bullshirt. I understand supporting him right after the election if folks were unsure if there was enough impropriety to swing the election. But after due process and 61 out of 62 court cases dismissed, there is no evidence of fraud. How do you still go along with the "election was stolen" premise with literally no proof? It does not compute.

This will make for FACINATING study many years from now. How one man carried so much weight with so little merit.

Despite boycotting three Republican primary debates and taking multiple setbacks in criminal and civil court proceedings against him, Donald Trump continues to enjoy a commanding lead in the polls. Even as he stokes the flames of hate and violence on the campaign trail, the former president is supported by an astounding 60-70 percent of Republican voters and narrowly beats President Biden in a hypothetical 2024 faceoff.

Why do people continue to vote for a person with such bigoted views and obvious character flaws, whose selfish self-interest takes precedence over the needs of others and the good of the nation?

Psychologists are at the forefront of studying bias and discrimination in various forms; we have long known that people are not necessarily “rational” beings but “rationalizing” ones. Many voters acknowledge Trump’s immoral and unethical nature, but when asked why they back him, they rationalize their actions as support of conservative judges, anti-abortion legislation, overturning unfair trade agreements, tax benefits, or protecting the Second Amendment.

Although these are legitimate issues to consider, the reasons may mask a deeper and more frightening explanation: the bigoted beliefs, attitudes and behaviors of Donald Trump do not represent an isolated case or an “outlier,” but may reflect the unconscious values of a large segment of the population.

For many years, I have been concerned about the phenomenon of “bias contagion,” in which the overt expression of racism by our leaders and those in power sanction hate speech, bigotry and violence toward those who differ from them in terms of race, ethnicity and culture. It provides permission for people to unashamedly and overtly act out deep-seated biases without fear of social disapproval or retribution. “Trumpism” has seemingly tapped into an underlying groundswell of anger, resentment, grievance and even fury at our institutions, the news media, medical science and policies that seem to intrude upon individual freedom.

What lies beneath this rage?.............

I like this @Optimus Prime post.
    I'll add that I recently asked a "pastor's son"...he's 26 or 27 years old....I asked him about his and my potential vote in Nov. 2024.
    He said: "Obviously we want to vote for whatever candidate most closely lines up with Biblical Scripture values/principles/teachings....so we eliminate Biden. Additionally I know that you Steve and some others want to vote for a 3rd party candidate because Trump has done some immoral stuff....and I totally respect you and others for that.....but as for ME....I want a candidate who can WIN...not a 3rd party candidate.....and Trump put judges on the Supreme Court who struck down Roe v Wade and those Trump appointed Supreme Court judges will continue to rule in the future while they are keeping in mind the sanctity of life.....so I am gonna vote for Trump".
    So I think this 26 or 27 year old pastor's son's answer reinforces some of the points on the post I complimented.
    I hope this has been helpful to the OP @Bayouboy

I'll add that I recently asked a "pastor's son"...he's 26 or 27 years old....I asked him about his and my potential vote in Nov. 2024.
    He said: "Obviously we want to vote for whatever candidate most closely lines up with Biblical Scripture values/principles/teachings....so we eliminate Biden. Additionally I know that you Steve and some others want to vote for a 3rd party candidate because Trump has done some immoral stuff....and I totally respect you and others for that.....but as for ME....I want a candidate who can WIN...not a 3rd party candidate.....and Trump put judges on the Supreme Court who struck down Roe v Wade and those Trump appointed Supreme Court judges will continue to rule in the future while they are keeping in mind the sanctity of life.....so I am gonna vote for Trump".
    So I think this 26 or 27 year old pastor's son's answer reinforces some of the points on the post I complimented.

So in other words, "I will vote for someone who's whole life explicitly goes against biblical scripture, values, principles and teachings as long as I get what I want"

I would love to hear his reasoning that Biden, a devout Catholic, goes against Scripture. What has he done that goes against Scripture? While I can show you a myriad of things Trump has said and done, how he lives his entire life, that goes against scripture. Actual policies. That young man has corrupted his faith, IMO.

Abortion isn’t in the scripture, and Biden himself isn’t terribly comfortable with it.

I would love to hear his reasoning that Biden, a devout Catholic, goes against Scripture. What has he done that goes against Scripture? While I can show you a myriad of things Trump has said and done, how he lives his entire life, that goes against scripture. Actual policies. That young man has corrupted his faith, IMO.

Abortion isn’t in the scripture, and Biden himself isn’t terribly comfortable with it.
    exactly all the things they are willing to go against scripture on you could write book about it. but something that has nothing to do with them Abortion is only a personal thing) they just freak about.

Typical christian nationalist response, I'd be willing to bet, if pressed, he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state either.....young wackjob.....

I posted that true story to be a help to the OP. Like the OP, I've been wondering why many "evangelicals" are supporting Trump.
    I think that 26 year old's answer is the reason.
    I don't agree with him...but I listened and passed it along to the OP ( and all of you ).
    If the OP has a question or a comment I will gladly respond.

I posted that true story to be a help to the OP. Like the OP, I've been wondering why many "evangelicals" are supporting Trump.
    I think that 26 year old's answer is the reason.
    I don't agree with him...but I listened and passed it along to the OP ( and all of you ).
    If the OP has a question or a comment I will gladly respond.

Did you push back at all and question his hypocrisy?

Did you push back at all and question his hypocrisy?
    I just undid my "ignore" of you.
    So to answer your question:
    He spoke softly and without arrogance. He constantly stated he respected my decision not to vote for Trump and the decision of hypothetical others who felt the same as me.
    There was no need to "push back" because he was quietly and humbly just answering my question....just stating what he will do and not trying to impose his views on me or anyone else. If I had not asked him a direct question, the Trump vs 3rd Party topic never would have come up.

I just undid my "ignore" of you.
    So to answer your question:
    He spoke softly and without arrogance. He constantly stated he respected my decision not to vote for Trump and the decision of hypothetical others who felt the same as me.
    There was no need to "push back" because he was quietly and humbly just answering my question....just stating what he will do and not trying to impose his views on me or anyone else. If I had not asked him a direct question, the Trump vs 3rd Party topic never would have come up.
    The hypocritical part was when he said he wants someone with biblical values and principles and he was voting Trump

And the hypocrisy works for both possibilities

1. He somehow thinks that Trump is indeed a man of faith, principles and a godly man (and millions believe exactly that) despite all obvious evidence to the contrary

2. Knows full well how immoral, offensive and Trump is but is willing to overlook it to get something out of it, which I’m guessing invalidates a good numbers of sermons he’s given

“I know he sells drugs to school children but he donates so much money to the church”

The hypocritical part was when he said he wants someone with biblical values and principles and he was voting Trump

And the hypocrisy works for both possibilities

1. He somehow thinks that Trump is indeed a man of faith and principles (and millions believe exactly that)

2. Knows full well how immoral, offensive and Trump is but is willing to overlook it to get something out of it, which I’m guessing invalidates a good numbers of sermons he’s given

“I know he sells drugs to school children but he donates so much money to the church”
    No. I know this young man.
    He does not like Trump and does not feel Trump is a man of faith.
    This 26 or 27 year old just told me that he feels as a citizen he HAS to vote for SOMEONE. It would be wrong to just stay home. He will vote for Trump because of his stance on "The Sanctity of Life" and the Supreme Court appointments. This young man is NOT an admirer of Trump and he really wishes his options were not Biden and Trump.

No. I know this young man.
    He does not like Trump and does not feel Trump is a man of faith.
    This 26 or 27 year old just told me that he feels as a citizen he HAS to vote for SOMEONE. It would be wrong to just stay home. He will vote for Trump because of his stance on "The Sanctity of Life" and the Supreme Court appointments. This young man is NOT an admirer of Trump and he really wishes his options were not Biden and Trump.
    That sounds like option 2 to me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom