/* */

All Things LGBTQ+ (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

Not dating someone is not the same as actively hating someone.
    It's a glaringly false analogy. To work, the comparison would have to be that not flying the pride flag is like not dating a trans person. But not flying something is very different to burning it.

Would this count under those new laws that say students must be called by the names on their birth certificates?

PS - I never knew that Will wasn’t his given name

PS 2 - John? I thought it was going be something like Mortimer or Hawthorne. What’s wrong with John?

PS 3 - Who replaces a boring everyday name with another boring everyday name 'I hate my birth name Kevin so I changed it to Steve
    ======================================================================

Will Ferrell has recalled feeling “so embarrassed” by his legal name during his childhood.

The actor, 56, appeared on former co-star Christina Applegate’s MeSsy podcast on July 9 in honor of the 20th anniversary of their classic comedy film, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. While speaking with podcast co-hosts Applegate and Jamie-Lynn Sigler, the Saturday Night Live alum revealed that he felt embarrassed when he was addressed by his real name, John, growing up.

“This is a minor thing in terms of – it’s not really even trauma – but I remember feeling so embarrassed because my real name is John, John William Ferrell. So, first day of school, I’d be John,” the Elf star explained. “The teacher would be like, ‘John Ferrell?’ and it was so embarrassing to me to have to say, ‘Here, but I go by Will, I don’t go by John.’”………

Last edited:
    :confused2:

Sure, sure. You can give them that benefit of the doubt if you want. I won't.

Regardless, it doesn't mean I think they should be arrested or anything. But I'm not going to deny the obvious.

It isn't obvious. You just see every act that doesn't align with LGBTQ+ as hate.

It's a glaringly false analogy. To work, the comparison would have to be that not flying the pride flag is like not dating a trans person. But not flying something is very different to burning it.
    It's the same mentality.
    If I don't date trans, I hate trans.
    If I burn a flag, I hate.

Anything less than 100% agreement/compliance is hate.

Last edited:
    The LGBTQA+ community thinks it is hatred.
    All of them?

The SCOTUS decisions, much like Trump’s encouraging racism and misogyny, have encouraged hatred toward LGBTQA+ people. Thomas openly suggested that gay marriage should be revisited.
    That has nothing to do with what I am talking about. As I specified before, I am simply talking about the act of burning a symbol.
    The burning a piece of cloth is a meaningless comment because it lacks context. Burning a gay pride flag is hatred to the LGBTQA+ community.
    No, it is not necessarily hatred. Again, does burning a U.S. flag signify hatred for all Americans?

Read the Project 2025 thread.
    Why?
    Yet again, I am talking about burning a symbol, nothing more, nothing else.

All of them?

That has nothing to do with what I am talking about. As I specified before, I am simply talking about the act of burning a symbol.

No, it is not necessarily hatred. Again, does burning a U.S. flag signify hatred for all Americans?

Why?
    Yet again, I am talking about burning a symbol, nothing more, nothing else.
    Pointless

It isn't obvious. You just see every act that doesn't align with LGBTQ+ as hate.

And you apparently love to wear blinders, but whatever.

I doubt that you've noticed, but LGBTQ+ people and community receive a lot of hate just for existing. It's gotten much worse in the last 8 years. I wonder if you've ever personally felt that type of hate in your life. If you had, you probably wouldn't be trying justify pride flag burning as possibility something other than the obvious hate it represents 99.9% of the time.

It's hard for me not to associate flag burning with hate
    Agree. Every time I’ve seen it done performatively, it denotes contempt at the very least. I don’t know why someone would burn a flag out of respect, unless it’s during the proper disposal of used and tattered flags, but that only applies to the US flag, I think?

Wouldn't that be an argument against gay pride too?
    according to the Bible yes. , so whats your answer about National Pride? yes or no.
    (just to be clear, i don't use the Bible as my moral compass like the ones who are anti LGBTQ+ claim to)

I always felt like Pride is reserved for something that is accomplished. how is LGBTQ+ something acomplished you asked? just read through this thread ans see how much hate and anger there is towards it. how many laws are being passed to supress their rights that everone else has, 99% citig the bible as the reason for it.
    LGBTQ+ pride isn't just about being gay, trans, etc, its about being accepted and not being denied the same things as everyone else.
    National Pride, If you are born an American, you didn't accomplish being an American. You accomplished nothing...

Last edited:
    Cool.

Fact is, the burning of a particular symbol is a hate act because you want it to be a hate act. In your view, there is no room for sentiments like disapproval or dislike, and probably you equate disapproval or dislike to hate. And you view everyone who doesn't agree with your ideology as a monolith of hate.

according to the Bible yes. , so whats your answer about National Pride? yes or no.
    (just to be clear, i don't use the Bible as my moral compass like the ones who are anti LGBTQ+ claim to)
    I hoped that, by now, people around here would know my thoughts on the Bible. But if someone doesn't know:

I always felt like Pride is reserved for something that is accomplished. how is LGBTQ+ something acomplished you asked?
    I asked nothing of the sort. I made it very clear that I was discussing the burning of a symbol, nothing more, nothing less.
    just read through this thread ans see how much hate and anger there is towards it. how many laws are being passed to supress their rights that everone else has, 99% citig the bible as the reason for it.
    LGBTQ+ pride isn't just about being gay, trans, etc, its about being accepted and not being denied the same things as everyone else.
    National Pride, If you are born an American, you didn't accomplish being an American. You accomplished nothing...

Cool... but I was just referring to pride itself.

It's hard for me not to associate flag burning with hate

PS - Burning the American flag can be more complicated

If you burn the American flag it may not mean you are "Death to America!" hating America, but America has clearly done something to royally piss you off

That's a double standard. "Royally piss you off", that's also an abstract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom