/* */

Would Joe Manchin for President attract Moderates / Independents? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    If the Nov. 2024 ballot was DNC President Biden and GOP Donald Trump, I would certainly avoid both of them and look for another candidate.
    I just came across an online article that Senator Joe Manchin is CONSIDERING becoming a 3rd Party candidate.
    Naturally his fellow Democrats would not like that.
    #1 West Virginia would possibly elect a Republican to be their next Senator
    #2 Manchin wouldn't win the presidency and he'd pull more votes from Biden than he would from Trump.
    I'd CONSIDER voting for Manchin. IF he ran...AND the media gave him any "air time", then I think he'd make things interesting. :sneaky:
    Historically, Most 3rd Party Candidates were names that MOST "regular folks" never heard of. Ross Perrot was an exception.
    But again, my point is that most 3rd party candidates have received such a small number of votes because no one knew them and everyone knew they had no chance.
    Senator Joe Manchin DOES have name recognition going for him.
    When Biden's term began, I think there was some publication that called Joe Manchin: "The Most Powerful Man In Washington". An exaggeration of course, but he often "held the keys" to IF a Biden backed bill passed or it didn't.
    Anyway, what say you about anything I've posted here?

Last edited:
    Manchin, Kennedy, Trump, and Biden all running would be an electoral college nightmare.

Kennedy doesn't have much hope at winning any electoral votes. Manchin could, especially in a 4 way race.

Manchin would win WV for sure, and might could get a few others with the vote diluted so much.

We don't need congress choosing the winner.

If Manchin were to run and win electoral votes from WV, I'm okay with that. That would only be taking electoral college votes from Trump.

Manchin may peel some votes away from Biden, but I think he's just as likely to peel just as many from Trump. Democrats aren't the least bit enamored with Manchin, so overall I think his effect will balance itself out. Kennedy would peel votes away mostly from Trump.

Overall, I don't think it's as big an effect on the election as most people seem to be fretting, but we will see how it plays out.

If Manchin were to run and win electoral votes from WV, I'm okay with that. That would only be taking electoral college votes from Trump.

Manchin may peel some votes away from Biden, but I think he's just as likely to peel just as many from Trump. Democrats aren't the least bit enamored with Manchin, so overall I think his effect will balance itself out. Kennedy would peel votes away mostly from Trump.

Overall, I don't think it's as big an effect on the election as most people seem to be fretting, but we will see how it plays out.

In a four way race, Manchin would win more than just WV though. He could win states with 30% of the vote if it is split 4 ways.

If no one gets 270 electoral votes, it will be a nightmare.

In a four way race, Manchin would win more than just WV though. He could win states with 30% of the vote if it is split 4 ways.

I don't really see that happening, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well for this to happen, and become material, 3rd (and 4th now) party candidates would have outperform the best 3rd party showing ever (Perot) by over 4x in every swing state to drag Biden below 270.

It ain't happening.

Manchin COULD win WV. Other states? No. It is all or nothing.

If he runs, he is greatly overestimating his appeal outside of the most backwards state in America.

He won't cross 10 electoral votes and they would be from red states

Kennedy won't win a single state- he has no shot a single one. He'll be lucky to crack 2% in any state; and any antivax leftists will be ones from states that don't matter. Like mine. Kennedy might beat Trump here but he isn't going to be within 30 points of Biden.

Can they cause issue and draw votes from Biden? I guess we'll have to see but I don't fear these as much as I did the Bernie Bros sitting out

Well for this to happen, and become material, 3rd (and 4th now) party candidates would have outperform the best 3rd party showing ever (Perot) by over 4x in every swing state to drag Biden below 270.

It ain't happening.

If he runs, he is greatly overestimating his appeal outside of the most backwards state in America.

Kennedy won't win a single state- he has no shot a single one. He'll be lucky to crack 2% in any state; and any antivax leftists will be ones from states that don't matter. Like mine. Kennedy might beat Trump here but he isn't going to be within 30 points of Biden.

Can they cause issue and draw votes from Biden? I guess we'll have to see but I don't fear these as much as I did the Bernie Bros sitting out

We will see i guess.

Kennedy was already going to get close to Perot numbers. I know people are having a hard time believing that, but they are overestimating the electorate.

We will see i guess.

Kennedy was already going to get close to Perot numbers. I know people are having a hard time believing that, but they are overestimating the electorate.

He will draw some disenfranchised voters in, many of them, people who weren't going to vote, otherwise. I'm not sure who else observers see him appealing to.

I'm much more worried about temperamental left-wing ideologues who are going to hold Biden to impractical standards and are ready to cut ties over any disagreement. And the ones who don't vote because of strict political purity or indifference.

He will draw some disenfranchised voters in, many of them, people who weren't going to vote, otherwise. I'm not sure who else observers see him appealing to.

I'm much more worried about temperamental left-wing ideologues who are going to hold Biden to impractical standards and are ready to cut ties over any disagreement. And the ones who don't vote because of strict political purity or indifference.
    If they do, half of them (the women) will have no one to blame but themselves when The Handmaid's Tale becomes reality.

It ain't happening.

I see most of Manchin’s appeal stripping red votes, not appealing to Independent and blue voters. As far as his political motivations in West Virginia, I’ve regarded him as a red mole for years. It’s frankly inconceivable that people who work in labor could view anything reeking of red as good for their livelihoods, until racial prejudice and white privaledge is introduced, then some gears fall into place. 🤔

To launch his campaign for US Senate, Zach Shrewsbury chose the site of one of America’s most famous hangings.

Charles Town, West Virginia, was where state authorities executed the abolitionist John Brown after he led an attack on a federal armory a few miles down the road in Harpers Ferry, a pivotal moment in the lead-up to the civil war. One hundred and sixty four years later, Shrewsbury – who decided against attempting to get a permit for the event at the site of the insurrection, which is now a national park – stood on the courthouse grounds where Brown’s hanging took place to announce that he would be the only “real Democrat” running to represent West Virginia in the Senate next year.

“We need leaders that are cut from the working-class cloth. We need representation that will go toe to toe with corporate parasites and their bought politicians. We need a leader who will not waver in the face of these powers that keep the boot on our neck,” Shrewsbury said to applause from the small group of supporters gathered behind him.

“So, as John Brown said, ‘These men are all talk. What we need is action.’ I’m taking action right now to stand up to these bought bureaucrats.”

The remarks were a swipe at Joe Manchin, the Democratic senator who for the past 13 years had managed to represent what has become one of the most Republican states in the nation. In recent years he has used his power as a swing vote in Congress to stop several of Joe Biden’s legislative priorities – attracting the ire of progressives and prompting Shrewsbury to mount a primary challenge.

A few weeks after Shrewsbury began campaigning, he was showing a friend around an abandoned mining town when his phone rang with news: Manchin had decided not to seek re-election, leaving Shrewsbury as the only Democrat in the race.

By all indications, Shrewsbury, a 32-year-old Marine Corps veteran and community organizer, faces a difficult, if not impossible, road to victory. West Virginia gave Donald Trump his second-biggest margin of support of any state in the nation three years ago, and Manchin is the last Democrat holding a statewide office. Political analysts do not expect voters to elect the Democratic candidate – whoever that turns out to be – and predict Manchin will be replaced by either Governor Jim Justice or Congressman Alex Mooney, the two leading Republicans in the Senate race.

Shrewsbury’s message to them is: not so fast.

“People were really sold on the fact that Joe Manchin could be the only Democrat that could win in West Virginia, and I very much disagree,” Shrewsbury told the Guardian a week after the senator made his announcement.……

If Manchin runs, he most likely would have to run as an independent. He'd pull more Republicans than Democrats anyway.

Wouldn’t it be something if both Manchin and RFK Jr run and pull mostly Republican votes?
    As a former Republican and as an Independent who votes mostly Republican....WHY would I or anyone similar minded to me vote for RFK? I certainly wouldn't vote for RFK....but I like Manchin.

As a former Republican and as an Independent who votes mostly Republican....WHY would I or anyone similar minded to me vote for RFK? I certainly wouldn't vote for RFK....but I like Manchin.
    A lot of Trump supporters like RFK, Jr. So polling seems to show he would pull more from Republicans than from Democrats.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom