Would Joe Manchin for President attract Moderates / Independents? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    If the Nov. 2024 ballot was DNC President Biden and GOP Donald Trump, I would certainly avoid both of them and look for another candidate.
    I just came across an online article that Senator Joe Manchin is CONSIDERING becoming a 3rd Party candidate.
    Naturally his fellow Democrats would not like that.
    #1 West Virginia would possibly elect a Republican to be their next Senator
    #2 Manchin wouldn't win the presidency and he'd pull more votes from Biden than he would from Trump.
    I'd CONSIDER voting for Manchin. IF he ran...AND the media gave him any "air time", then I think he'd make things interesting. :sneaky:
    Historically, Most 3rd Party Candidates were names that MOST "regular folks" never heard of. Ross Perrot was an exception.
    But again, my point is that most 3rd party candidates have received such a small number of votes because no one knew them and everyone knew they had no chance.
    Senator Joe Manchin DOES have name recognition going for him.
    When Biden's term began, I think there was some publication that called Joe Manchin: "The Most Powerful Man In Washington". An exaggeration of course, but he often "held the keys" to IF a Biden backed bill passed or it didn't.
    Anyway, what say you about anything I've posted here?

Last edited:
    I seriously doubt Manchin would pull very many Dem voters. He’s not well liked by the voters IMO. The outfit that is recruiting him is trying to get Trump re-elected, and I don’t think he’s stupid enough to fall for it. (at least I hope not). I know these guys all have huge egos, so anything is possible.

I seriously doubt Manchin would pull very many Dem voters. He’s not well liked by the voters IMO. The outfit that is recruiting him is trying to get Trump re-elected, and I don’t think he’s stupid enough to fall for it. (at least I hope not). I know these guys all have huge egos, so anything is possible.
    His constituency lies within the borders of W. Virginia. IMO, he is what a moderate Republican used to look like.

Yes. The Republican Party would welcome him. He isn't interested.

Numbers wise, they would for him to flip, but he would never be elected as a Republican because he doesn't meet the needs of the current Republican Party voters.

Numbers wise, they would for him to flip, but he would never be elected as a Republican because he doesn't meet the needs of the current Republican Party voters.
    Maybe. He's done a lot for his state. He would possibly be re elected as a Senator from W Virginia even if he ran as a Republican. He won't change to the GOP so ...whatever.

I think a Manchin/Cheney ticket could win the general election.

I have no idea how they could make it to the general election though.

I think a Manchin/Cheney ticket could win the general election.

I have no idea how they could make it to the general election though.
    These are unusual times.
    Anything is possible.
    Yet CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and others are in the tank for the DNC.
    I agree that it would be very difficult for the HYPOTHETICAL Machin/Cheney ticket to get a fair shake.

If the Nov. 2024 ballot was DNC President Biden and GOP Donald Trump, I would certainly avoid both of them and look for another candidate.
    I just came across an online article that Senator Joe Manchin is CONSIDERING becoming a 3rd Party candidate.
    Naturally his fellow Democrats would not like that.
    #1 West Virginia would possibly elect a Republican to be their next Senator
    #2 Manchin wouldn't win the presidency and he'd pull more votes from Biden than he would from Trump.
    I'd CONSIDER voting for Manchin. IF he ran...AND the media gave him any "air time", then I think he'd make things interesting. :sneaky:
    Historically, Most 3rd Party Candidates were names that MOST "regular folks" never heard of. Ross Perrot was an exception.
    But again, my point is that most 3rd party candidates have received such a small number of votes because no one knew them and everyone knew they had no chance.
    Senator Joe Manchin DOES have name recognition going for him.
    When Biden's term began, I think there was some publication that called Joe Manchin: "The Most Powerful Man In Washington". An exaggeration of course, but he often "held the keys" to IF a Biden backed bill passed or it didn't.
    Anyway, what say you about anything I've posted here?
    What I always consider is how many more years of the GOP disaster can the country suffer and then make my choices based on that. Biden was never my first choice, but today, the GOP is an absolute NO choice. So to choose Biden again is easy, and in a match up between Manchin and any Trump or DeSantis GOP type, Manchin would be an easy choice. But as a spoiler, he‘d be a disaster for the Dems. In a 3 way race, with him as an independent, I’m not prepared to say how many Republicans or Independents he might pull.

Last edited:
    What I always consider is how many more years of the GOP disaster can the country suffer and then make my choices based on that. Biden was never my first choice, but today, the GOP is an absolute NO choice. So to choose Biden again is easy, and in a in a match up between Manchin and any Trump or DeSantis GOP type, Manchin would be an easy choice. But as a spoiler, he‘d be a disaster for the Dems. In a 3 way race, with him as an independent, I’m not prepared to say how many Republicans or Independents he might pull.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

These are unusual times.
    Anything is possible.
    Yet CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and others are in the tank for the DNC.
    I agree that it would be very difficult for the HYPOTHETICAL Machin/Cheney ticket to get a fair shake.

The three letter media organizations are irrelevant.

They can't be the boogeyman anymore. During election season, they just read social media posts on the air. It's just a way for boomers to consume social media.

Yes. The Republican Party would welcome him. He isn't interested.
    The Republican Party is a mess. The Democratic Party is still closer to his positions. With that said, Manchin would definitely throw the election to Trump, because of the 25% of Republicans that wouldn’t vote for Trump, many would vote for Biden, but if Manchin were on the ballot, many would vote for him. There are very few Democrats that prefer Manchin over Biden’s positions, But Biden’s age may siphon off a few. Most independents won’t vote for Trump, but would vote for Manchin. Suffice to say that a Manchin run would practically guarantee a Trump win. On the other hand, if DeSantis or another far right Republican were to win the nomination, then I think Trump will run 3rd party, and the Democrat would practically be guaranteed a win.

This is why we need to get rid of first to post voting! We need ranked choice! If we had it, then we would probably have a run-off between Biden and Manchin, which I would would like.

@LThe Republican Party is a mess. The Democratic Party is still closer to his positions. With that said, Manchin would definitely throw the election to Trump, because of the 25% of Republicans that wouldn’t vote for Trump, many would vote for Biden, but if Manchin were on the ballot, many would vote for him. There are very few Democrats that prefer Manchin over Biden’s positions, But Biden’s age may siphon off a few. Most independents won’t vote for Trump, but would vote for Manchin. Suffice to say that a Manchin run would practically guarantee a Trump win. On the other hand, if DeSantis or another far right Republican were to win the nomination, then I think Trump will run 3rd party, and the Democrat would practically be guaranteed a win.

This is why we need to get rid of first to post voting! We need ranked choice! If we had it, then we would probably have a run-off between Biden and Manchin, which I would would like.
    Kindly expand upon the end of your post where you mention "first to post voting".
    Do you mean this?....
    First PAST the post voting? :unsure:
    The meaning seems to be....ONE VOTE (for ONE candidate of an office) per voter.
    The winner takes all.
    @Lapaz you want to get rid of that? Replace it with what?

Kindly expand upon the end of your post where you mention "first to post voting".
    Do you mean this?....
    First PAST the post voting? :unsure:
    The meaning seems to be....ONE VOTE (for ONE candidate of an office) per voter.
    The winner takes all.
    @Lapaz you want to get rid of that? Replace it with what?
    Yes, I meant first past the post. I want to replace it with Ranked Choice. It’s being used in a few places already, but we desperately need it to expand, especially for president.

Yes, I meant first past the post. I want to replace it with Ranked Choice. It’s being used in a few places already, but we desperately need it to expand, especially for president.
    Ok. I'll post this....then I'll watch immediately....then others can join me (if they wish) as we all learn together.

Very cool! Based on this one minute explanation it sounds good.
    This a is pie in the sky dream for you because Nov. 2024 is RELATIVELY too close to institute the Ranked Choice system.
    It WOULD help but it's seemingly not part of the national conversation if I'm only learning about it today thanks to you.

They use this in Alaska, IIRC. It worked very successfully to keep Palin from winning even though she only had the support of the MAGAs.

If the GOP primary had used ranked choice voting in 2016, Trump would probably have lost the nomination. He won because more traditional Rs split the votes, and allowed him to win states with a plurality rather than a majority.

I want to get rid of party run primaries.

I like the way Louisiana does primaries for state election, i think we should do that for President.

Ranked choice is also good, we should do that AND get rid of party primaries.

Party primaries have become contests over who can please the extremists on both sides. It has created a feedback loop pushing us towards extremism, and it's getting to a point where we need to do something about it.

Ok. I'll post this....then I'll watch immediately....then others can join me (if they wish) as we all learn together...
    It WOULD help but it's seemingly not part of the national conversation if I'm only learning about it today thanks to you.
    Weird.

The drum for rank choice voting has been beating loudly in this country since the early 00's, it's equally telling and weird that you are just learning about this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom