What happens to the Republican Party now? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

I doubt it will matter they will find a way to cancel it or prevent it.

This is my greatest complaint about Democrats.
    Give Republicans an ounce of power, an inch of leverage and they'll move mountains to enact their agenda or stop the Dems.
    Give Dems a majority and somehow they can't do diddly.

From the article that tweet refers to is one of the reasons it's not wise to have arbitrary maximum age limits.

Monday, before the boxes were delivered to LaRose’s office, Citizens Not Politicians activists packed the Ohio Statehouse Atrium for a pep rally where the keynote speaker was former Ohio Supreme Court Justice Maureen O’Connor, their matron saint.

“Ladies and gentlemen, let me let you in on a little secret,” O’Connor told an enthusiastic crowd at the Statehouse Monday. “This amendment will pass. We will prevail.”
    O’Connor, a Republican and former lieutenant governor, jumped into the cause with both feet after going through a year of frustration in 2022, when she was chief justice of an Ohio Supreme Court majority that rejected six different maps adopted by the Ohio Redistricting Commission, an intensely partisan group made up these days of five Republicans and two Democrats.
    The chief justice sided with the three Democrats on the court, but the Republican majority, led by Senate President Matt Huffman, gamed the system long enough to get their way.

And O’Connor could not run for re-election that year because of Ohio’s judicial age limits law.

From the article that tweet refers to is one of the reasons it's not wise to have arbitrary maximum age limits.
    Normally I agree with you, but I have PTSD from Ginsburg refusing to retire during Obama’s TWO terms. She basically wiped out her legacy to me by that act of hubris. She had 8 years to retire while a democrat was in office, she knew the stakes. Her refusal to retire has done real damage to women.

This is just another example of GOP hypocrisy. The level of crap they spew is just astounding.

“Trump is the apotheosis of this moral degeneration of conservatism because he’s out there stealing with both hands and it’s right in your face.”

So said Joe Conason, veteran reporter and author of a lacerating new book, The Longest Con: How Grifters, Swindlers, and Frauds Hijacked American Conservatism.

He spoke on Monday, the same day the US supreme court ruled that presidents are immune from prosecution for official acts – even as Donald Trump, the former president and presumptive Republican nominee, faces 44 federal and 10 state criminal charges to go with 34 guilty verdicts handed down in New York.

“Nixon said, ‘I am not a crook.’ Could Trump really say ‘I’m not a crook’ and have anyone believe him? Nobody would believe that, including his own followers. They know that he’s out to scam money for himself, and they don’t seem to mind.

“Take the grifting around ‘stop the steal’, post-election, 2020-21. Led by Trump’s son in law [Jared Kushner], they knew they were going to do it before the election was even over. ‘We’re going to keep our fundraising operation intact.’ And they booked a quarter of a billion dollars in a couple of months. It was amazing. One of the biggest rip-offs ever.”

On the page, Conason charts 75 years of rightwing rip-off merchants attacking liberals and making money. Beginning with the supposedly anti-communist crusade of the lawyer Roy Cohn in the mid-1950s, proceeding through the rise of the Moral Majority, the attempt to bring down Bill Clinton and the brief age of the Tea Party, he ends with Cohn’s protege, Trump, poised to retake power.

To Conason, the key to the story is not how much money such grifters raise but where that money comes from: those grifters’ own supporters.…..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom