What happens to the Republican Party now? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

So if non-believers shouldn't look at it, then it's not for them essentially. Believers already know it and don't need to look at it, so it's not for them.

So, WHO exactly is this for???

IMO it's just another opportunity for the religious cult in the south to pat themselves on the back for accomplishing nothing in the name of God. If they want to win people over then why oh why do they continue to be so off-putting?
    They don't give a flying fart if you sincerely believe, so long as they can force you to act like you do.

Several Louisiana families backed by human rights groups have lodged a lawsuit in federal court seeking to block the state’s new law forcing public schools to display the Ten Commandments.

The suit was filed with the US district court in Baton Rouge on Monday at the start of what is expected to be an epic legal battle that could end up before the US supreme court. Christian nationalists have been itching for this fight, hoping to destroy the country’s longstanding separation of church and state.

The new law, HB71, was signed by Louisiana’s hard right governor Jeff Landry last week, making the state the first in the nation to order the Ten Commandments to be displayed in all public school classrooms. The law stipulates that the text must be shown exactly as written in the legislation in a frame that is at least 11in by 14 in, and in “large, easily readable font”.

Plaintiffs in Monday’s lawsuit, who include rabbis and pastors, argue that the law is blatantly unconstitutional. It violates both binding precedent from the supreme court that has stood for almost half a century and the establishment and free exercise clauses of the first amendment, they claim.

“It sends the harmful and religiously divisive message that students who do not subscribe to the Ten Commandments do not belong to their own school community,” the suit says.

The legal action points out that a central pillar of the new law – the claim that there is a long tradition linking the Ten Commandments to public education in the US – is based on a fabrication. HB71 quotes James Madison, the fourth president, as saying: “We have staked the whole future of our new nation … upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the 10 Commandments.”

That quote is fictitious; it is to be found in none of Madison’s writings or speeches. It appears to have been drawn from a conspiracy theory popularized by the late rightwing talk show host Rush Limbaugh.……

Several Louisiana families backed by human rights groups have lodged a lawsuit in federal court seeking to block the state’s new law forcing public schools to display the Ten Commandments.

The suit was filed with the US district court in Baton Rouge on Monday at the start of what is expected to be an epic legal battle that could end up before the US supreme court. Christian nationalists have been itching for this fight, hoping to destroy the country’s longstanding separation of church and state.

The new law, HB71, was signed by Louisiana’s hard right governor Jeff Landry last week, making the state the first in the nation to order the Ten Commandments to be displayed in all public school classrooms. The law stipulates that the text must be shown exactly as written in the legislation in a frame that is at least 11in by 14 in, and in “large, easily readable font”.

Plaintiffs in Monday’s lawsuit, who include rabbis and pastors, argue that the law is blatantly unconstitutional. It violates both binding precedent from the supreme court that has stood for almost half a century and the establishment and free exercise clauses of the first amendment, they claim.

“It sends the harmful and religiously divisive message that students who do not subscribe to the Ten Commandments do not belong to their own school community,” the suit says.

The legal action points out that a central pillar of the new law – the claim that there is a long tradition linking the Ten Commandments to public education in the US – is based on a fabrication. HB71 quotes James Madison, the fourth president, as saying: “We have staked the whole future of our new nation … upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the 10 Commandments.”

That quote is fictitious; it is to be found in none of Madison’s writings or speeches. It appears to have been drawn from a conspiracy theory popularized by the late rightwing talk show host Rush Limbaugh.……

Wow...this whole garbage is based on a fake quote originated by none other than Rush Limbaugh.

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — For most of North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum’s two terms in office, he approached the job like a CEO running a business.

The wealthy former software executive, now on a shortlist to be Donald Trump’s running mate, was laser-focused on priorities like strengthening the state’s economy and cutting taxes. He mostly steered clear of social issues that animated many fellow Republicans, and he sometimes pushed back on them.

In 2020, Burgum criticized an anti-LGBTQ resolution of the state GOP as “hurtful and divisive rhetoric.” He vetoed a 2021 measure to ban transgender girls from playing on girls’ teams in public schools, saying it “would unnecessarily inject the state into a local issue by creating a ban with myriad unforeseen consequences.” In 2023,Burgum vetoed a bill he said would make teachers into “pronoun police.”

But as Burgum prepared a bid for the presidency that spring, he also signed a sheaf of bills that imposed restrictions on transgender people — including two that were nearly identical to the sports ban he vetoed in 2021.

Another bill banned gender-affirming medical treatments for kids, and he signed a measure that had provisions nearly identical to parts of the pronoun bill he had vetoed earlier in 2023.

also signed a book ban bill,though he did veto a second, further-reaching one. Opponents decried both bills for targeting LGBTQ themes.

While conservatives cheered, others close to Burgum — who applaud what they call his independent streak and inclusivity as a leader — said the 2023 bill signings were disappointing and marked a shift as the governor entered the national stage.

Some saw Burgum’s willingness to support the measures as an attempt to gain traction among Republicans as he eyed a presidential campaign, or as a response to action in other GOP-led states……

smooth transition

I'm starting to think that Trump hasn't picked a VP yet, because it makes people like Burghum, Scott and Rubio keep saying all the extreme things that Trump wants them to say. The second Trump picks the one VP, all of the others desperately trying to claw their way to the top of the heap like crabs in a 15 gallon washtub are going to say such extreme things anymore. They'll still support Trump, but they'll tone down their rhetoric.

Trumps playing them and I think he's going to do it for as long as he can. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump doesn't pick a VP until the very last second before the deadline to get the VP's name on ballots. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump picks one of his sons or some other lifelong, obedient loyalist who has no political history at all. Trump's arrogance will tell him it doesn't matter who who he picks and he wants someone he knows will do any depraved and corrupt thing he tells them to do. I don't think he's going to trust anyone who has been a lifelong devotee, because I don't think he's going to take the chance on getting Mike Pence'ed again.

Last edited:
    I don’t remember who said this, but I read not that long ago that Trump never actually chose Mike Pence. He just stalled and dithered around and never picked anyone, so his team got together, picked Pence and brought him in and introduced him to Trump as “your running mate”. Trump doesn’t care about anything but himself, and just cannot be bothered.

I’m sure the constant brown nosing has his attention as well, like you said, but he’s just not capable of making a strategic decision here. He doesn’t care about it.

I don’t remember who said this, but I read not that long ago that Trump never actually chose Mike Pence. He just stalled and dithered around and never picked anyone, so his team got together, picked Pence and brought him in and introduced him to Trump as “your running mate”. Trump doesn’t care about anything but himself, and just cannot be bothered.

I’m sure the constant brown nosing has his attention as well, like you said, but he’s just not capable of making a strategic decision here. He doesn’t care about it.
    I think this time might be different, since in Trump's view Pence betrayed him. I don't think Trump is going to let his people do that again.

I think this time might be different, since in Trump's view Pence betrayed him. I don't think Trump is going to let his people do that again.
    I would not be flocking surprised if he picked Bannon or Stephen Miller.

I would not be flocking surprised if he picked Bannon or Stephen Miller.
    If he trusts them to never "betray" him, I think they'd be in the mix. I'm thinking it will be one of his sons. They've never once disobeyed him, even when it costed them personally.

I think Trump is too arrogant to think he needs to pick someone that would help him get votes. I think it's solely someone who he trusts would go on a suicide mission for him without hesitation.

I'm starting to think that Trump hasn't picked a VP yet, because it makes people like Burghum, Scott and Rubio keep saying all the extreme things that Trump wants them to say. The second Trump picks the one VP, all of the others desperately trying to claw their way to the top of the heap like crabs in a 15 gallon washtub are going to say such extreme things anymore. They'll still support Trump, but they'll tone down their rhetoric.

Trumps playing them and I think he's going to do it for as long as he can. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump doesn't pick a VP until the very last second before the deadline to get the VP's name on ballots. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Trump picks one of his sons or some other lifelong, obedient loyalist who has no political history at all. Trump's arrogance will tell him it doesn't matter who who he picks and he wants someone he knows will do any depraved and corrupt thing he tells them to do. I don't think he's going to trust anyone who has been a lifelong devotee, because I don't think he's going to take the chance on getting Mike Pence'ed again.

I've thought above all along, it's how he operates....I wouldn't be surprised if the VP pick is a total off the wall choice, one thing for certain, it will be a cult member willing to do anything for dear leader.....

I've thought above all along, it's how he operates....I wouldn't be surprised if the VP pick is a total off the wall choice, one thing for certain, it will be a cult member willing to do anything for dear leader.....
    Of people in the House or Senate I think J.D. Vance is probably most likely. Outside of that it could literally be anyone who has a pulse and worships Trump.

When Donald Trump embarked upon a lengthy complaint at a recent rally about how long it takes to wash his “beautiful luxuriant hair” due to his shower’s low water pressure, he highlighted the expanding assault he and Republicans are launching against even the most obscure environmental policies – a push that’s starting to influence voters.

In his bid to return to the White House, Trump has branded Joe Biden’s attempt to advance electric cars in the US “lunacy”, claiming such vehicles do not work in the cold and that their supporters should “rot in hell”. He’s called offshore wind turbines “horrible”, falsely linking them to the death of whales, while promising to scrap incentives for both wind and electric cars.

But the former US president and convicted felon, who has openly solicited donations from oil and gas executives in order to follow industry-friendly priorities if re-elected, has also spearheaded a much broader attack on a range of mundane rules and technologies that enable water and energy efficiency.

At a June rally in Philadelphia, Trump claimedAmericans are suffering from “no water in your faucets” when attempting to wash their hands or hair. “You turn on the water and it goes drip, drip,” he said. “You can’t get [the soap] off your hand. So you keep it running for about 10 times longer.” Trump complained it takes 45 minutes to wash his “beautiful luxuriant hair” and that dishwashers don’t work because “they don’t want you to have any water”.

Trump’s niche fixation is not new – while in office he complained about having to flush a toilet 10 times and that newer, energy-efficient lightbulbs made him look “orange”. His administration subsequently rolled back efficiency standards for toilets, showers and lightbulbs, rules that Biden subsequently restored.

But Republicans in Congress are now following Trump’s lead, introducing a flurry of recent bills in the House of Representatives targeting energy efficiency standards for home appliances. The bills – with names such as the “Liberty in Laundry Act”, “Refrigerator Freedom Act” and the ‘Clothes Dryers Reliability Act’ – follow a conservative furore over a confected, baseless claim the Biden administration was banning gas stoves, which prompted further GOP legislation.

“No government bureaucrat should ever scheme to take away Americans’ appliances in the name of a radical environmental agenda, yet that is exactly what we have seen under the Biden administration,” said Debbie Lasko, a Republican Congressman and sponsor of the ‘Hands Off Our Home Appliances Act’, which restricts new efficiency rules on appliances and passed the House in May. These bills have no chance of agreement in the Democratic-held senate.

“We are seeing a lot of these advances, like clean cars and more efficient appliances, being swept up into the culture wars,” said Ed Maibach, an expert in public health and climate communication at George Mason University.

“Most Americans’ instincts are that these are good things to have, but it’s clear that Donald Trump and others think there’s political gain in persuading people this isn’t the case. These voters are being fed a story by people they shouldn’t really trust.”…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom