What happens to the Republican Party now? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Former attorney general William P. Barr effectively endorsed former president Donald Trump on Wednesday, despite having previously criticized Trump’s conduct while in office and once comparing him to a “defiant, 9-year-old kid.”

Asked Wednesday whether he would vote for Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, in November, Barr told Fox News’s “America’s Newsroom” that he would vote for the Republican ticket.

“I’ve said all along, given two bad choices, I think it’s my duty to pick the person I think would do the least harm to the country, and in my mind, that’s — I will vote the Republican ticket,” said Barr, who remains a Republican. “I’ll support the Republican ticket.”

His remarks were a shift from his previous refusal to endorse Trump during the GOP presidential primary, when he was one of many former Trump aides who said they would prefer not to see Trump on the ballot in November.

Many of those people, including former vice president Mike Pence, have demurred when asked whether they would vote for Trump if he is the Republican nominee.

Others, like former national security adviser John Bolton, have outright stated that they would vote for neither Trump nor President Biden……

Many of those people, including former vice president Mike Pence, have demurred when asked whether they would vote for Trump if he is the Republican nominee.

Others, like former national security adviser John Bolton, have outright stated that they would vote for neither Trump nor President Biden……

I guess he wants that garden he may need.

Good read:

was there ever any doubt?

As we get closer to election day I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mike Pence, John Bolton and Nikki Haley follow suit and go the same way Sununu and Bill Barr has (I would be surprised if Liz Cheney or Adam Kinzinger do though)

As Barr said

“I’ve said all along, given two bad choices, I think it’s my duty to pick the person I think would do the least harm to the country, and in my mind, that’s — I will vote the Republican ticket,” said Barr, who remains a Republican. “I’ll support the Republican ticket.”

AKA "the worst Republican is better than the best Democrat"

Last edited:
    ........Sununu spent months talking about how Trump should not be his party’s nominee for president. Last summer he wrote that he himself would not be running for president because “beating Trump is more important.” In January, when he was stumping for Nikki Haley, he said that Trump “can barely keep a cogent thought” without a teleprompter. At an event in February, he explained his belief that Trump wouldn’t be the party’s standard-bearer forever by saying that “a--holes come and go.”

As he said all this, he added a caveat: He’d support the eventual GOP nominee, even if it was Trump.

And now, at the Gridiron, Sununu was accepting the inevitable, because it’s happening.

“My focus isn’t about Trump. Trump’s gonna live or die on his own. No one can help him, no one can hurt him. He’s his own entity,” he says. And Sununu, for his part, would like to see that entity in the White House.

A sight to behold: the slow parade of Trump-averse Republicans as they trudge toward supporting the nominee.

Don’t call it a walk of shame. At least, don’t try to tell them that’s what it is.

“It should come as no surprise that, as nominee, he will have my support,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who has given Trump the cold shoulder for three years, during which the former president has taunted his wife (former Trump Cabinet member Elaine Chao) with the racist nickname “Coco Chow,” and said McConnell has a “DEATH WISH” for dealing with Democrats to avert a government shutdown.

“He’d be better than Joe Biden,” Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, whom Trump called a “fool” and a “clown” as the former president challenged his 2020 loss in Georgia, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution last month. When we asked this week whether Kemp would be voting for Trump in November, his spokesman referred us to Kemp’s “multiple previous statements that he supports the Republican nominee.”

“Voting for Biden is outright national suicide,” former Trump attorney general William P. Barr reportedly said in February. He has called Trump a “consummate narcissist” and likened him to “a defiant 9-year-old kid who’s always pushing the glass toward the edge of the table”; nevertheless, he told Fox News on Wednesday that he would “vote the Republican ticket.”............

Good read:

Op Ed written by one Chris Sununu

The one thing Trump loves more than the people who have been his Ride or Dies since day one, are the Never Trumpers who come crawling back (and may be all for naught - kissing the ring didn't help Kevin McCarthy out one bit)
    ====================================

I will not be seeking the Republican nomination for president in 2024.

Our party is on a collision course toward electoral irrelevance without significant corrective action. The stakes are too high for a crowded field to hand the nomination to a candidate who earns just 35 percent of the vote, and I will help ensure this does not happen.......

Since 2017, the national Republican Party has lost up and down the ballot, in red states and in blue states, and in elections spanning the House, Senate and presidency. That will happen again unless we Republicans undergo a course correction.

Current polls indicate Trump is the leading Republican candidate in 2024. He did not deliver on his promises to drain the swamp, secure the border and instill fiscal responsibility while in office — and added $8 trillion to our national debt — yet now he wants four more years. He is facing numerous investigations and continues to peddle the conspiracy theory that he won the 2020 election, repelling independents.

If he is the nominee, Republicans will lose again. Just as we did in 2018, 2020 and 2022. This is indisputable, and I am not willing to let it happen without a fight........

about to be a battle over this
    ====================

The devil is in the details after Florida Satanic Temple members announced plans to take advantage of a bill signed by Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday that would allow volunteer chaplains to provide support services for public K-12 students.

"We're not playing those games in Florida," DeSantis said at a press conference at a high school in Kissimmee. "[Satanism] is not a religion. That is not qualifying to be able to participate in this."

If such a restriction occurs, it's likely to result in a First Amendment fight in the courts. The Satanic Temple, which the IRS recognizes as a tax-exempt church, told the USA TODAY NETWORK-Florida earlier in the year that it would put school chaplains in Florida if the bill became law.

"Despite DeSantis's contempt for religious liberty, the Constitution guarantees our equal treatment under the law, and DeSantis is not at liberty to amend the Constitution by fiat, at whim," said Lucien Greaves, co-founder of the Satanic Temple. "He just invited Satanic chaplains into public schools, whether he likes it or not,"

DeSantis' comments contradict those of the bill's sponsor, Sen. Erin Grall, R-Fort Pierce, who said that because of the First Amendment’s religious freedom protections, the school chaplain bill wasn’t limiting.

Grall, though, was concerned about satanic chaplains: "I think that as soon as we get in the middle of defining what is religion and what is not, and whether or not someone can be available and be on a list, we start to run (into) constitutional problems,” she said before the legislation passed...........

a

Grall, though, was concerned about satanic chaplains: "I think that as soon as we get in the middle of defining what is religion and what is not, and whether or not someone can be available and be on a list, we start to run (into) constitutional problems,” she said before the legislation passed...........
    yep sorrydeathsantos there is more then one religion besides white christian male religion/. so lets hope he restricts it it will only help the cause.

First-term state Rep. Roger Wilder, R-Denham Springs, who sponsored the child labor measure and owns Smoothie King franchises across the Deep South, said he filed the bill in part because children want to work without having to take lunch breaks.

A Fulton county commissioner in Georgia has been operating a private Telegram channel for years, propagating debunked claims about the 2020 election, and spreading accusations of crimes by county employees, including Ruby Freeman, an election worker defamed by Rudy Giuliani in the wake of Donald Trump’s 2020 loss.

Bridget Thorne, a Republican representing the relatively conservative cities of Fulton county north of Atlanta, indirectly identifies herself as the creator and administrator of the Fulton County Elections channel on Telegram, a mobile messaging platform, in multiple posts to its page. The channel uses the official logo of the Fulton county board of registration and elections.

The channel, created in May 2021, had 133 subscribers as of Tuesday night. The Guardian learned of its existence from Marisa Pyle, an Atlanta-based political organizer.

In a post from 14 February, the administrator of the page accused Freeman, a former Fulton county elections worker, of misconduct, despite a Georgia elections board finding that all of the conspiracy theories about her were “false and unsubstantiated”.

“We clearly see her double scanning ballots,” the channel administrator wrote about Freeman, a regular target of attention on the Telegram page. “We see her incriminating Facebook posts. Yet, she is made to be a victim and given hero awards.”…….

First-term state Rep. Roger Wilder, R-Denham Springs, who sponsored the child labor measure and owns Smoothie King franchises across the Deep South, said he filed the bill in part because children want to work without having to take lunch breaks.

More GOP cartoon supervillainy

It would be funny if it wasn’t so infuriating

Former attorney general William P. Barr effectively endorsed former president Donald Trump on Wednesday, despite having previously criticized Trump’s conduct while in office and once comparing him to a “defiant, 9-year-old kid.”

Asked Wednesday whether he would vote for Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, in November, Barr told Fox News’s “America’s Newsroom” that he would vote for the Republican ticket.

His remarks were a shift from his previous refusal to endorse Trump during the GOP presidential primary, when he was one of many former Trump aides who said they would prefer not to see Trump on the ballot in November.

the irony
    (desantis) “No one’s being forced to do anything, but to exclude religious groups from campus, that is discrimination,”

(oh? says the satanic temple)
    An organization called the Satanic Temple issued a recent statement that said its ministers “look forward” to joining chaplains of other religions in schools. The Temple states its mission is to use Satanic imagery to “oppose injustice,” including applying for equal representation when religious imagery and “proselytizing” are allowed in public schools.

DeSantis contended that the organization would not be allowed to participate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom