What happens to the Republican Party now? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Okay this is pretty funny. But it also shows something. Hammer them, absolutely hammer them on abortion.

That azzhat is running in my state. New Ohio state motto: passing Florida with our sights set on Mississippi.

Rep. Glenn Grothman (R-WI) on Thursday accused “the angry feminist movement” of emasculating men and said the U.S. should “work our way back” to 1960 if former President Donald Trump wins in November.

In a House floor speech that could have been lifted from Margaret Atwood’s dystopian novel The Handmaid’s Tale, Grothman went after supporters of government-funded childcare programs and said President Lyndon Johnson’s War on Poverty “took the purpose out of the man’s life, because now you have a basket of goodies for the mom.” He added, “They’ve taken away the purpose of the man to be part of a family. And if we want to get America back to, say, 1960, where this was almost unheard of, we have to fundamentally change these programs.”

Grothman said “the breakdown of the family” was caused by the U.S. government in the 1960s and “people like Angela Davis, well-known communist, people like the feminists who were so important in the 1960s.”

“So I hope the press corps picks up on this, and I hope Republican and Democrat leadership put together some sort of plan for January, in which we work our way back to where America was in the 1960s,” he added.

Grothman, a fervent supporter of Trump, hailed the overturning of Roe v. Wade in June 2022, saying after the decision: “Over the years, millions of children have had their dreams stolen before seeing the light of the day. But today marks a brighter future for the hearts and minds of unborn children, women, and families.

“I commend the six justices who voted to overturn Roe for having the courage to base their decision on sound legal principles rather than a fashionable line of thinking that rules academia, Hollywood, and the mainstream media.”.................

Sound legal principles? Bullschlitz. It was their personal opinions based upon religion.

……,A new food program would have kicked in this summer, had Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt not turned down $48 million from a $2.5 billion initiative that the Biden administration calls “a giant step forward” in ending childhood hunger in the country.

Though Oklahoma is one of the most food-insecure states, with surveys finding that more than 200,000 children are hungry at some point during a year, Stitt suggested the administration was “trying to push certain agenda items on kids.”

He joined 12 fellow Republican governors who ultimately refused the money, part of the bipartisan budget agreement Congress reached in 2022.

Some said they were reluctant because the country is mired in debt and the government already spends heavily on child nutrition programs — more than $25 billion in fiscal 2023. Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves called the new program an attempt “to expand the welfare state.”……

……,A new food program would have kicked in this summer, had Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt not turned down $48 million from a $2.5 billion initiative that the Biden administration calls “a giant step forward” in ending childhood hunger in the country.

Though Oklahoma is one of the most food-insecure states, with surveys finding that more than 200,000 children are hungry at some point during a year, Stitt suggested the administration was “trying to push certain agenda items on kids.”

He joined 12 fellow Republican governors who ultimately refused the money, part of the bipartisan budget agreement Congress reached in 2022.

Some said they were reluctant because the country is mired in debt and the government already spends heavily on child nutrition programs — more than $25 billion in fiscal 2023. Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves called the new program an attempt “to expand the welfare state.”……

From the same people who have the audacity to think they are followers of Jesus Christ. It’s disgusting.

Thread Title: What happens to the Republican Party Now?
    This title can be so relevant by viewing it in light of the recent Trump Rally shooting.
    Melania Trump sets a good example and presents an admirable statement...

lol, the “unity” convention is going well so far. Mike Johnson (after 2 weeks ago claiming that Biden couldn’t speak if he didn’t have a teleprompter) had a teleprompter failure and had to leave the stage because he couldn’t finish his thoughts.

And now this:

Don't try to tell us our eyes don't see what they see. He doesn't just have his eyes closed he's obviously asleep.

It goes something like that, right?
    I was watching the convention. I remember that exact moment. Look at the prayerfully folded hands of the woman wearing white seated behind Trump . I am telling you as a Christian who took notice of the moment when the convention had the entire room get quiet...a clergyman led the hushed room in a prayer. The image you mock WAS THAT moment of group prayer. I saw it. I am sure of it.

Last edited:
    I was watching the convention. I remember that exact moment. Look at the prayerfully folded hands of the woman wearing white seated behind Trump . I am telling you as a Christian who took notice of when the convention had the entire room get quiet...a clergyman led the hushed room in a prayer. The image you mock WAS THAT moment. I saw it. I am sure of it.
    @SamAndreas and @LA - L.A. This YouTube video I just successfully searched for includes that moment of prayer from which the image you saw was taken. The duration of the video is 2 minutes and 35 seconds. Yet you can jump ahead to timestamp 1 minute and 20 seconds and from that point on, you will see Trump appropriately leaning forward with his eyes closed as he participates with everyone else in the prayer that is being led. Watch as you hear the audio of the clergyman continuing to lead the convention in prayer. Stick with it if you wish and eventually the video shows others in the room during this prayer as well.

Oh and btw....prior to beginning his prayer, the clergyman attempted to do an impression of Trump's speaking voice.

Last edited:
    If after seeing the video from last night with your own eyes you come to the realization that Trump joined everyone else in bowing his head and closing his eyes in the usual posture during group prayer...if the video helped you to realize that, then I'm glad.
    Yet I want to say with all seriousness that when I told you that information you should have believed me. I said I watched it. I said as a Christian I took notice of that moment. That should have settled it.
    If on Mad About Politics ....if I've ever said something and presented it as a fact....then I was proven to be in error I admitted my mistake or apologized or both.
    Like everyone here, I often share my point of view.
    THIS was NOT like that. Not an opinion.
    I stated that I watched the Convention. I stated that the image/photo that two of you made fun of meant something to me. The photo was the result of the photographer zooming in on Trump praying while others around him were praying also.
    I told you the truth as I witnessed it with my own eyes.
    I am sincerely disappointed that that wasn't enough for 2 of you and I had to begin my day by searching for a YouTube video that included Trump joining others in prayer.

Last edited:
    Good morning Steve. I appreciate your response. Here is my reply:

This is the actual clip of Trump falling asleep, or more accurately nodding off and desperately trying to stay awake during the convention. It wasn’t part of the prayer, although some pictures online did mistakenly use pictures from the time of the prayer.

Newsweek actually did a short piece about it.

It should also be pointed out that Trump has made a big deal about calling Biden “sleepy Joe” and then has fallen asleep nearly every day he spent in court, and now at his own convention. I feel any criticism of him for falling asleep is therefore warranted.

Good morning Steve. I appreciate your response. Here is my reply:

This is the actual clip of Trump falling asleep, or more accurately nodding off and desperately trying to stay awake during the convention. It wasn’t part of the prayer, although some pictures online did mistakenly use pictures from the time of the prayer.

Newsweek actually did a short piece about it.

It should also be pointed out that Trump has made a big deal about calling Biden “sleepy Joe” and then has fallen asleep nearly every day he spent in court, and now at his own convention. I feel any criticism of him for falling asleep is therefore warranted.

I clearly wasn't aware of what you shared. Thanks for sharing it. Much of the short 57 second video you shared does not have the camera on Trump. When it does focus on him, I DO see the couple of times he closes his eyes for 3 or 4 seconds and then opens them again.
    Thanks for your post.
    I'm back having watched the video you shared a 2nd time.
    After the video's opening 32 seconds the video then cuts away from Trump and then we only hear the commentators talking from that point on until the video ends after 57 seconds.
    Trump was not asleep but he WAS seemingly "sleepy".
    Since he calls President Biden "Sleepy Joe Biden" this then opens Trump up to this kind of video.
    Yet he is a human who has been thru something recently, and if the speaker at the podium wasn't exactly compelling, it is not a big deal if twice he closed his eyes for 4 seconds.
    .....again, thanks for your post.

Last edited:
    Yet he is a human who has been thru something recently, and if the speaker at the podium wasn't exactly compelling, it is not a big deal if twice he closed his eyes for 4 seconds.
    Mostly agree. But you are making excuses for someone who would never give such grace to anyone else. And I am not inclined to give Trump any grace at all because of his childish behavior and dangerous rhetoric.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom