What happens to the Republican Party now? (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

A powerful, rightwing lobbying group is promoting a hard-right policy agenda and cementing ties between the Republican party and the far right at at least 21 events involving senators, members of Congress, and both junior and senior political aides, documents obtained by the Guardian show.

The documents offer previously unreported details of Conservative Partnership Institute (CPI) trainings and “bootcamps” for congressional staff at CPI’s sprawling Maryland ranch, and lavish, star-studded retreats for members of Congress – mostly members of the far-right Freedom caucus – at a string of Florida resorts.

They also show how CPI, widely described as the “nerve center of the Maga movement”, enlisted its own network of affiliated organizations along with like-minded far-right organizations – some classified as hate groups by experts – as well as individual extremists to promote anti-immigrant, anti-LGBTQ+ and anti-vaccine policies, along with others premised on the false claim that the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump.

The revelations raise further questions about the powerful influence exercised on Capitol Hill staffers by the well-heeled NGO, and the extent of its successes in moving Republican elected officials even further to the right.

Heidi Beirich, co-founder and chief strategy officer at the Global Project against Hate and Extremism, said speakers featured at CPI events included some “seriously extreme people”, and indicated “how far right the Maga movement has become”.…….

A new South Dakota policy to stop the use of gender pronouns by public university faculty and staff in official correspondence is also keeping Native American employees from listing their tribal affiliations in a state with a long and violent history of conflict with tribes.

Two University of South Dakota faculty members, Megan Red Shirt-Shaw and her husband, John Little, have long included their gender pronouns and tribal affiliations in their work email signature blocks. But both received written warnings from the university in March that doing so violated a policy adopted in December by the South Dakota Board of Regents.

“I was told that I had 5 days to remove my tribal affiliation and pronouns,” Little said in an email to The Associated Press. “I believe the exact wording was that I had ‘5 days to correct the behavior.’ If my tribal affiliation and pronouns were not removed after the 5 days, then administrators would meet and make a decision whether I would be suspended (with or without pay) and/or immediately terminated.”

The policy is billed by the board as a simple branding and communications policy. It came only months after Republican Gov. Kristi Noem sent a letter to the regents that railed against “liberal ideologies” on college campuses and called for the board to ban drag shows on campus and “remove all references to preferred pronouns in school materials,” among other things.

All nine voting members of the board were appointed by Noem, whose remarks in March accusing tribal leaders of benefitting from illegal drug cartels and not properly caring for children has prompted most South Dakota tribes to ban her from their land.

South Dakota’s change comes in the midst of a conservative quest to limit diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives gaining momentum in state capitals and college governing boards around the country, with about one-third of the states taking some sort of action against it.……

A GOP candidate has come under fire in Texasafter he posted a video of him wielding an assault rifle and joking about the Irish Republican Army (IRA).

The 2023 video unearthed by The Daily Beast is by Brandon Herrera, a YouTuber-turned-politician running against incumbent GOP representative Tony Gonzales in this week’s primary runoff election. Mr Gonzales represents Texas’ 23rd district – home to Uvalde, the site of a 2022 elementary school shooting that left 19 students and two staff members dead.

Mr Gonzales was censured by his party last year after voting in favor of gun control legislation introduced following the shooting. Mr Herrera, meanwhile, has run on a platform centering on unrestricted access to firearms.

In the video titled “The AR-180: The IRA’s Lucky Charm”, Mr Herrera wears a balaclava and wields the AR-180 while making jokes about the IRA and the British…….

on brand for republicans

Abbott said in a statement announcing the proclamation that absolved Perry. “Texas has one of the strongest ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws of self-defense that cannot be nullified by a jury or a progressive District Attorney.”

Abbott approved the board’s recommendation, which included restoration of Perry’s firearm rights.

on brand for republicans

Abbott said in a statement announcing the proclamation that absolved Perry. “Texas has one of the strongest ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws of self-defense that cannot be nullified by a jury or a progressive District Attorney.”

Abbott approved the board’s recommendation, which included restoration of Perry’s firearm rights.
    lets not forget he appointed that board. Just shows you how little the law matters if it gets in the way of a republican want. .

could have gone in the voting thread also
    ===========================
    ARepublican member of the election board in Georgia's Fulton County is refusing to certify May 21 primary election results, demanding that she first be given unusual access to “essential election materials and processes."

According to the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the official, Julie Adams, wants "lists of all qualified county electors showing those who signed in at polling locations as well as those who returned absentee ballots, the numbers of votes cast on particular machines and during advance voting, information on provisional and “drop box” ballots, digital images of ballots as they were cast, and all absentee ballot applications and envelopes, among other data."

The rogue board member was a former director of the conservative Tea Party Patriots and one of two people nominated to the five-person board by the Fulton County Republican Party. Though her move to abstain and file a lawsuit did not stop the board from voting to certify last week's election, Adams has caused alarm as former President Donald Trump and members of the Republican Party routinely threaten to overturn elections that do not go their way...........

Royce White, a George Floyd protest leader and former college basketball star-turned-right-wing Senate candidate in Minnesota, was ordered to catch up after he fell behind on court-mandated child support payments at least a half-dozen times from 2020 to 2023, court filings in two cases show.

White, a father of four, was twice found in contempt of court over the findings, one of them in a Minnesota county where he remains in “constructive contempt,” facing the ongoing threat of a 180-day jail sentence should he again fail to keep up with the payments. The next hearing in that case is set for Oct. 21, two weeks before the election.

White’s candidacy has generated new attention after the Minnesota Republican Party endorsed him this month at its state convention, where he won the support of two-thirds of the voting delegates. He previously lost a GOP primary in a 2022 effort to unseat Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar and has raised a paltry sum for his Senate campaign, according to campaign finance records. But he has caught fire with conservatives by delivering rousing speeches and aiming incendiary, vulgar commentary at critics and opponents online.

White still must survive a contested GOP primary, but the state party has elevated him as former President Donald Trump and his campaign make noise about flipping Minnesota red at the presidential level this fall for the first time since 1972. It has been more than 20 years since a Republican won a Senate seat in the state. And a number of GOP strategists do not think White gets them any closer to beating Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar in November.

Speaking with reporters last week, Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont., chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the Senate GOP’s campaign arm, said the campaign committee is looking for “candidates that can win both primaries and generals.” Of White, Daines said, “I think he’d have difficulty winning a general election.”

Asked whether the campaign committee would endorse White if he is the nominee, Daines responded, “I don’t think he could win a general election.” Daines’ committee had warmer things to say this month about Joe Fraser, a retired Navy commander and business executive who is a first-time candidate, whom an NRSC spokesperson called “a political outsider and American hero.” Trump himself has not made an endorsement in the race.

In recent years, as Trump’s MAGA movement has become the dominant force in the GOP, he and allied Republicans have boosted a number of statewide candidates with blemishes in their backgrounds that caught the attention of voters in battleground states. Such candidates underperformed in the 2022 election in particular...............

Yikes, this woman seems completely out of step with modern times.

I don’t know about that - she appears to me to have the fervid aspect of a “true believer”, which makes her scarier than a hypocrite.
    yes but they tend to preach what they dont practice. remember they not want women to work and look where she is at. there are plenty of stories of people on anti abortion lines getting abortions at the same clinics they protest.

I don’t know about that - she appears to me to have the fervid aspect of a “true believer”, which makes her scarier than a hypocrite.
    Much more often than not, those who crusade against something are psychologically projecting an internal conflict.

Many of the women who staunchly crusade against abortion have had abortions, even though it goes against their beliefs of right and wrong. Rather than resolve that inner conflict internally, they try to resolve it by forcing their beliefs of right and wrong on others to ease their own feelings of guilt and conflict. The problem is it doesn't ease their feelings of guilt and conflict, so they either have to turn inward or escalate their externalization. They usually choose to escalate their externalization.

The same is true on the issue of demonizing male homosexuality and demonizing others religious beliefs.

Show me someone who crusades for anything in a way that categorically judges and demonizes others, and I'll show you someone that is suffering from internal conflict and/or extreme insecurity about their beliefs.

When we are mostly secure and at peace with ourselves, we don't feel a need to try to control others. When we feel out of control and don't own it, that's when we start trying to control others due to psychological dynamic of projection.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom