What happens to the Republican Party now? (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

prepare to see more replacement theory rhetoric, and a more intense response/backlash when the white population percentage decreases even faster than previously thought

Last edited:
    Lol I tease some of my TN friends who calls me Woke by saying thank you and yes I am awake to the realities around me, and ask them when they are planning to wake up instead of sleepwalking in a fantasy world without recognizing the real world they actually live in

Lol I tease some of my TN friends who calls me Woke by saying thank you and yes I am awake to the realities around me, and ask them when they are planning to wake up instead of sleepwalking in a fantasy world without recognizing the real world they actually live in

That's funny because it was the actual meaning of "woke" before Republicans turned it into a crusade.

And what do they say to that?

A Pennsylvania principal drew criticism last week after telling a Bucks County school librarian to take down posters with a famous quote by Elie Wiesel, the Nobel Peace Prize winning human rights activist, professor, and Holocaust survivor, just days before Holocaust Remembrance Day. The Central Bucks School District reportedly has ties to an organization that appears on the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of anti-LGBTQ hate groups.

Despite being under investigation by the U.S. Dept. of Education’s Office of Civil Rights after an ACLU complaint, the Central Bucks School District earlier this month voted 6-3 to pass “a contentious policy that bans teachers from engaging in ‘advocacy activities’ and displaying inclusive symbols like Pride flags in their classrooms,” WHYY reported earlier this month.

Citing that new rule, known as Policy 321, the school principal told Central Bucks High School South librarian Matt Pecic to take down four posters that displayed Wiesel’s famous quote from his 1986 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, WHYY reports.

“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented,” Wiesel said.

The principal reportedly told Pecic if he did not comply human resources would have to get involved. Pecic, who has worked for the school district for three decades, met with the principal accompanied by his union representative.

“If I didn’t take it down, I knew there would be consequences that could impact me,” Pecic said. “It’s a horrible feeling. And you feel like you have to do something that you don’t agree with.”..............

Its easy to understand how the quote "“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented,” would offend Republicans.

Its easy to understand how the quote "“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented,” would offend Republicans.

Only the self-aware ones.

Considering their psychotic victim complex, a lot would think that quote applies to them...as the oppressed.

The Florida House, not content with creating an election police force, banning books in schools or regulating women’s bodies when it comes to pregnancy, has apparently taken on yet another enforcement role: fashion police. Women, say goodbye to your sleeveless tops “when members are in the building.” The sight of your upper arms is too much for the hallowed halls of the Legislature to bear, it seems. And short skirts? We can’t believe you even asked.

A flyer circulating in the Capitol shows, complete with helpful photographs, what a person can and cannot wear. Some items are labeled as “NEVER work appropriate.” No “dress or skirt more than one inch above the knee.” No “low cut blouses or dresses.” No shoes without socks — that one, refreshingly, is aimed at men.

There are different (extra conservative) rules for days when House members are present. Suits are required for both men and women on the House floor. All right. Sure. It’s important to preserve the dignity of this storied institution. Serious business going on here, folks! (Remember that the next time they are debating whether Key Lime pie or strawberry shortcake should be the official state dessert.)

Seriously, though, socks are key to good legislating. Everyone knows that. At least Florida House members are allowing women to wear pant suits. Please, no one remind them of Hillary Clinton or we’re sunk. It’s not just Florida. They’re doing the same thing in Missouri, where the House of Representatives revised its dress code this month to require that women legislators and staff members wear jackets. Something else both places have in common: Florida and Missouri’s legislatures are controlled by Republicans.

Enforcement of the rules here in Florida could prove problematic. How low is “low cut?” Who will measure the inch above the knee? Who will decide if you’re wearing leggings or just tight pants or, God forbid, jeggings? Perhaps there will be volunteers from the House to figure it out. Walk around the Capitol on any day during session, and we’re pretty sure you’ll see a lot of members deeply interested in how short skirts are and the depth of V-necked blouses.

Remember, this is where Matt Gaetz got his start in politics before going to Congress. Where Sen. Jack Latvala resigned in 2018 amid sexual-harassment claims from a half-dozen women. Where a “Mad Men” atmosphere prevailed not that long ago. And, of course, women’s clothing was to blame. To be fair, some of the restrictions are genderless. No T-shirts with writing. No jeans “with holes.” And there are restrictions on men. One photo under the “NEVER appropriate” category shows a man in a patterned suit. Hard to say if that applies to any pattern or just those that the House finds aesthetically displeasing.............

A Pennsylvania principal drew criticism last week after telling a Bucks County school librarian to take down posters with a famous quote by Elie Wiesel, the Nobel Peace Prize winning human rights activist, professor, and Holocaust survivor, just days before Holocaust Remembrance Day. The Central Bucks School District reportedly has ties to an organization that appears on the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of anti-LGBTQ hate groups.

Despite being under investigation by the U.S. Dept. of Education’s Office of Civil Rights after an ACLU complaint, the Central Bucks School District earlier this month voted 6-3 to pass “a contentious policy that bans teachers from engaging in ‘advocacy activities’ and displaying inclusive symbols like Pride flags in their classrooms,” WHYY reported earlier this month.

Citing that new rule, known as Policy 321, the school principal told Central Bucks High School South librarian Matt Pecic to take down four posters that displayed Wiesel’s famous quote from his 1986 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, WHYY reports.

“I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented,” Wiesel said.

The principal reportedly told Pecic if he did not comply human resources would have to get involved. Pecic, who has worked for the school district for three decades, met with the principal accompanied by his union representative.

“If I didn’t take it down, I knew there would be consequences that could impact me,” Pecic said. “It’s a horrible feeling. And you feel like you have to do something that you don’t agree with.”..............

school backtracked, but we're going to see a lot of this
    ===================================

...........The school changed course the following day after students and community members pushed back.

“The district apologizes for any hurt or concerns this has caused, particularly for those in the Jewish community,” school officials said in a statement.

The controversy is the latest within the district and other nearby schools concerning the scope of how much officials should be able to regulate the content of books and other materials on social issues found within classrooms and libraries.

Earlier this month, the Central Bucks Board of School Directors voted on a policy banning educators from “advocacy activities” and “partisan, political, or social policy matters,” inspiring students to protest.

The policy prevents the display of any “flag, banner, poster, sign, sticker, pin, button, insignia, paraphernalia, photograph, or other similar material that advocates concerning any partisan, political, or social policy issue.”

A draft of the measure singled out “gender identity” and “sexual orientation” as specifically verboten categories............

may be a day when we see some of these statues go back up
    =========================================

Bradenton this week narrowly escaped becoming the first city in the United States to restore a fallen Confederate monument.

The monument in question, a concrete obelisk engraved with the names of Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Jefferson Davis, was taken down from its place in front of the downtown Bradenton courthouse in the summer of 2017 after backlash from local protests that proclaimed it celebrated a shameful period of American history. The space has stood empty ever since.

However, last month, the Manatee County Commission decided to take a vote on whether to take the monument out of storage and put it back in front of the courthouse—a plan that was estimated to cost taxpayers $40,000. The vote was scheduled to take place this Tuesday, but, last week, with no explanation, the item was taken off the commission’s agenda.

That didn’t stop citizens from showing up to the Tuesday meeting to voice their outrage. During the public comment portion of the meeting, a dozen different people took to the microphone to castigate the commission for even considering putting the monument back up.

Many were concerned that the agenda item would be resurrected at a later date. Others were angry that the item was taken off the schedule, because they had planned to take off work for that morning to speak about the topic. Another reminded the commission of the insult of holding such a vote the day before Black History Month began.

“I know that your immediate needs are met,” said Ruth Beltran. “You probably live in nice houses and drive nice cars. But that’s not the reality for this community. Me being here is a waste of our time. We already removed that monument back in 2017. When 2,000 children are houseless in your community, this is the best use of time and money that you can think of? That’s shameful.”

Another speaker asked for the resignation of Commissioner Vanessa Baugh, who supported voting on the restoration of the monument. She is also the only commissioner still on the board from when the monument was taken down, an action she voted against. (Baugh was not present at Tuesday’s meeting and did not respond to requests for an interview.)

After public comment concluded, Commissioner George Kruse addressed the issue. “I’m hoping that was just people coming to a realization that 99.9999 percent of the comments were negative against it,” he said. Kruse said he voted against entertaining the agenda item and would vote against restoring the monument.................

She didn’t hold back, and I admire her, but she is wrong about the reason. Republicans are not going after her due to her color, at least not solely. Maybe a bit due to religion, but again not solely, because they are also going after white Christian men. They also went after Schiff and others.

Republicans are lying about their reasons. Omar’s comments are mostly true, but definitely not pro-Israeli. She stepped in one of the rails, but she says things that are largely true. That is also not the reason, because there are Republicans that have said worse. It’s just retribution for the democrats kicking some off that actually deserved to be kicked off. They are going down a bad road. When democrats get back in power, they’ll kick off Republicans for false reasons as well. That just hurts the country as smart dissent is left out of committee debates and inquiries.

When democrats get back in power, they’ll kick off Republicans for false reasons as well.
    I don't believe this at all. As you mentioned earlier in your post, Republicans are doing it for retribution. Democrats did it for legit reasons the first time. There is nothing to inidcate or suggest that Democrats will do the same thing for "false reasons". If Republicans are targeted, it will be because they supported insurrection against this country and their supporters decided to ignore that and reelect them to office. What Republicans are doing and have done hurts the country as you mentioned. Democrats with the help of a handfull of Republicans, have been doing what they can to actually protect democracy in this country.

It's perfectly fine to point out what Republicans are doing without stooping to whataboutism when nothing shows that to be the case.

I don't believe this at all. As you mentioned earlier in your post, Republicans are doing it for retribution. Democrats did it for legit reasons the first time. There is nothing to inidcate or suggest that Democrats will do the same thing for "false reasons". If Republicans are targeted, it will be because they supported insurrection against this country and their supporters decided to ignore that and reelect them to office. What Republicans are doing and have done hurts the country as you mentioned. Democrats with the help of a handfull of Republicans, have been doing what they can to actually protect democracy in this country.

It's perfectly fine to point out what Republicans are doing without stooping to whataboutism when nothing shows that to be the case.
    I hope you're right, but there is no way to know for sure whether Democrats will also take retribution. Democrats have been much less likely to behave inappropriately, so maybe you'll be right, but often people eventually end up fighting fire with fire, and everything gets burned to the ground.

I hope you're right, but there is no way to know for sure whether Democrats will also take retribution.
    I think the next time Democrats take steps to remove a Republican from a committee for legitimate reasons (i.e. being a participant in insurrection) it will be grossly misrepresented by Republicans and republican supporters as "retribution".

A fair number of Republicans are basically in a cult.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom