Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Just days after the U.S. Capitol was stormed by a mob of pro-Trump rioters, Stewart Rhodes, leader of the right-wing militia the Oath Keepers, attempted to send a message to former President Donald Trump, in which he urged the president to invoke the Insurrection Act and be a “savior” of the republic.

Jason Alpers, a military veteran and software company founder based in Dallas, testified Wednesday during a criminal trial of several Oath Keepers members, including Rhodes, that he met with Rhodes and other Oath Keepers late one evening days after the Capitol riot in a parking lot.

Alpers told the jury that the meeting's intent was to get a message from Rhodes to Trump, to whom Alpers said he "indirectly" had access. To ensure the message he planned to pass along was accurate, he brought a recording device disguised as a thumb drive, he said.

Rhodes, Alpers and other members of the group, including Oath Keepers lawyer Kellye Sorelle, briefly discussed the Insurrection Act, a 19th Century statute that gives the president authority to call on military and National Guard forces to suppress an insurrection if a state requests it or if the insurrection makes it impossible to enforce federal law, according to the recording of the meeting, which was presented as evidence.............

Where's my shocked face...?

I'm not a fan of Clarence Thomas, but there's nothing here that ties him to anything. The Trump attorneys posited that Thomas was the way to get SCOTUS to somehow delay everything and they admitted in the same emails that their plan was very unlikely to work. When you get marching orders from the President, you can't tell him no. Well, you could and he'd just fire you.

I thought Thomas should have recused himself, but he concurred with the court in those cases related to the elections, so it's sort of moot at this point.

I don't think this will affect Thomas, but it is going to be relevant when presenting facts for a related case.

Why did they zero in on Thomas is the question that needs to be answered. Especially in light of his wife’s deep involvement in the fake elector scheme and her text to Meadows that hints that she discussed it with her husband.

Why did they zero in on Thomas is the question that needs to be answered. Especially in light of his wife’s deep involvement in the fake elector scheme and her text to Meadows that hints that she discussed it with her husband.
I think that's fairly easy to answer. His wife has been politically active for more than a minute and Thomas is arguably the most conservative and controversial in a lot of respects, justices on the bench, so it stands to reason he's the easy choice to go after.

That said, it was probably always a long shot to get him on board with what they were trying to do, and they recognized that according to the emails. I imagine the team understood at the time it wouldn't work, but they weren't gonna go back to Trump without trying.

It wasn't an attempted coup no matter how many times anyone says it. There wasn't any kind of support for a coup inside the government. Even the joke of the January 6th committee showed that. Pence was giving the military orders and they followed them. If you don't have the support of the military, police or some other coercive arms of the government then its not a coup.

Trump was so delusional that he actually thought he could get the election results overturned despite what his advisors told him. He had zero support to execute a coup.

The Democrats financially supporting Republican election deniers shows you they don't even believe their own Democracy is at risk shtick.

That it was poorly executed and stupid has no bearing on the fact that it was an earnest attempt.
If I give it my all trying to punch out a rhinoceros, the fact that it's a hopeless and doomed endeavor doesn't mean I didn't try and will hold no water with the game warden.
"You're an idiot and you're lucky to be alive, but you're still under arrest."

Last edited:
That it was poorly executed and stupid has no bearing on the fact that it was an earnest attempt.
If I give it my all trying to punch out a rhinoceros, the fact that it's a hopeless and doomed endeavor doesn't mean I didn't try and will hold no water with the game warden.
"You're an idiot and you're lucky to be alive, but you're still under arrest."

Indeed. I just don't get why he's making excuses for it. Anything to protect the party I guess.

The election lies and disinformation are just legion. I heard an interview today with an elderly man in MI who has signed up to be a “poll watcher”. His “training session” informed him that in MI in 2020 there were a million more mail-in ballots returned than were sent out. This obviously cannot be true, if you know anything at all about vote by mail. He seemed earnest and convinced that these kinds of lies actually happened. One can only hope that he will learn about the process by doing his poll watching and realize he’s been lied to.

Meanwhile, R crooks and grifters continue to fan these flames:

Guess this can go here
==================
Rusty Bowers, the former top Republican in Arizona’s house of representatives who stood up to Donald Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 presidential election and was punished for it by being unseated by his own party, is to receive America’s second-highest civilian honor on Friday.

Bowers will be among 12 people who will be awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal by Joe Biden at the White House at a ceremony to mark the second anniversary of the 6 January 2021 insurrection at the US Capitol. It will be the first time that the president has presented the honor, which is reserved for those who have “performed exemplary deeds of service for their country or their fellow citizens”.

All 12 took exceptional personal risks to protect US democracy against Trump’s onslaught. Many are law enforcement officers who confronted the Capitol rioters, others are election workers and officials in key battleground states who refused to be bullied into subverting the outcome of the presidential race…….

You are probably familiar with the term “mob lawyer.” It might now be time to inaugurate another, similar term: “coup lawyer.”

John Eastman and Rudy Giuliani were instrumental to the plotting and execution of President Donald Trump’s attempt to overthrow his reelection loss, and they corruptly abused their knowledge of the law to that end. Will they ever face real accountability?

Eastman and Giuliani are facing disciplinary proceedings and might even get disbarred. But if they are disciplined on overly narrow grounds — say, for making false statements — it would be a highly insufficient outcome.

They should also face professional discipline that declares in some way that their efforts to undermine our constitutional order were central features of their unscrupulous professional misconduct.

Yet good-government advocates are beginning to fear that opportunity will be squandered.
Right now, the state bar in California — where Eastman is licensed — is investigating whether he violated ethics rules governing attorneys. And the bars in New York and D.C. — where Giuliani is licensed — are currently weighing the former New York City mayor’s fate.

In Giuliani’s case, a New York court temporarily suspended him from practicing law for making false statements in court — his lies about the 2020 election — and the D.C. bar appears focused on that charge as well. In Eastman’s case, it is unclear what misconduct the California bar is weighing.

But the option exists for disbarment on a broader basis, according to advocates urging this course of action. In California, New York and D.C., ethics rules provide for sanctions on the grounds of fundamental unfitness for the legal profession and deep contempt for the rule of law.

Disbarment decisions should cite both lawyers’ efforts to help Trump subvert democracy as the basis for those violations…….

California attorney regulators said on Thursday they will seek to disbar attorney John Eastman over his involvement in former US president Donald Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election.

The state bar of California charged Eastman, a former personal lawyer to Trump, with 11 counts of ethics violations, including misleading courts and making false public statements about voter fraud in the 2020 election.

Eastman participated in a strategy “unsupported by facts or law” to obstruct the count of presidential electors in Congress following Democrat Joe Biden’s election victory, the bar’s complaint said…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom