Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

This isn’t the “gotcha” SFL seems to think it is.

What we don’t know is whether any of the protest organizers or planners were privy to Trump’s and Bannon’s plan to point these terrorists at the Capitol and turn them loose. Hopefully, and I have read this is happening, those planners will cooperate with the committee and tell them what they knew.

I don’t see any conflation. Both tweets are clear, in that they say IF the planners knew of the planned violence, they should be held accountable.

I was just thinking that I hadn't seen Tucker in the news lately
    ==========================================

Fox News host Tucker Carlson trailed a documentary about the January 6 riot at the Capitol, falsely suggesting it was a "false flag" plot heralding the state persecution of conservatives.

He urged viewers of his Wednesday night show to watch "Patriot Purge," the first in a three-part series produced for his line "Tucker Carlson Originals."

In the trailer, text flashing across the screen bills it as "the true story behind 1/6, the war on terror 2.0, and the plot against the people."

The broad thesis of the documentary appears to be that President Joe Biden is waging war on conservatives in an ideological purge, and that January 6 was plotted to undermine his targets.

Fox News did not immediately respond to Insider's query about what evidence the documentary presents for its claims.

The trailer opens with a militant drumroll and footage of helicopters over the Capitol, while an interviewee says: "The domestic war on terror is here, it's coming after half of the country."

Carlson says: "The helicopters have left Afghanistan and now they've landed here at home."

In one interview clip, a woman says: "False flags have happened in this country, one of which may have been January 6."

Images of men - one in a Blue Lives Matter shirt - firing rifles underscores the claim as a voiceover says "we are dealing with an insurgency in the United States."

One interviewee also makes the bizarre claim - alongside disturbing footage of waterboarding - that conservatives are being "left to rot" in Guantanamo Bay.............

I was just thinking that I hadn't seen Tucker in the news lately
    ==========================================

Fox News host Tucker Carlson trailed a documentary about the January 6 riot at the Capitol, falsely suggesting it was a "false flag" plot heralding the state persecution of conservatives.

He urged viewers of his Wednesday night show to watch "Patriot Purge," the first in a three-part series produced for his line "Tucker Carlson Originals."

In the trailer, text flashing across the screen bills it as "the true story behind 1/6, the war on terror 2.0, and the plot against the people."

The broad thesis of the documentary appears to be that President Joe Biden is waging war on conservatives in an ideological purge, and that January 6 was plotted to undermine his targets.

Fox News did not immediately respond to Insider's query about what evidence the documentary presents for its claims.

The trailer opens with a militant drumroll and footage of helicopters over the Capitol, while an interviewee says: "The domestic war on terror is here, it's coming after half of the country."

Carlson says: "The helicopters have left Afghanistan and now they've landed here at home."

In one interview clip, a woman says: "False flags have happened in this country, one of which may have been January 6."

Images of men - one in a Blue Lives Matter shirt - firing rifles underscores the claim as a voiceover says "we are dealing with an insurgency in the United States."

One interviewee also makes the bizarre claim - alongside disturbing footage of waterboarding - that conservatives are being "left to rot" in Guantanamo Bay.............

Does Tucker Carlson still have any sponsors? I can't believe any self-respecting corporation would want to be associated with this white supremacist fascist bullshirt.

At least there has been some backlash at Fox News about this. Geraldo Rivera had strong words about the documentary and he is usually a pathetic Trumpster lap dog.

Yes, I see that hiring a lawyer who works within the legal framework of our nation is considered some sort of transgression, but spouting complete lies about election fraud and falsely accusing one’s political opponent of a crime is just fine.

These people’s priorities are completely forked up. And people like SFL just nod and go along with the crazy.

This site sure is cool.

In his book, The Righteous Mind, Jonathan Haidt describes an odd dynamic that occurs when humans think about new evidence:

“… When we want to believe something, we ask ourselves, “Can I believe it?” Then (as Kuhn and Perkins found), we search for supporting evidence, and if we find even a single piece of pseudo-evidence, we can stop thinking. We now have permission to believe. We have a justification, in case anyone asks. In contrast, when we don’t want to believe something, we ask ourselves, “Must I believe it?” Then we search for contrary evidence, and if we find a single reason to doubt the claim, we can dismiss it.”
    This happens all the time. You’ve done it, I’ve done it, everyone does it. It’s just how our minds work. But the world has changed faster than our minds can evolve, so sometimes this tendency leads us astray.

In his book, The Righteous Mind, Jonathan Haidt describes an odd dynamic that occurs when humans think about new evidence:

This happens all the time. You’ve done it, I’ve done it, everyone does it. It’s just how our minds work. But the world has changed faster than our minds can evolve, so sometimes this tendency leads us astray.

You quoted my post that is nothing but a link to people charged in what went down on 1/6 with this for what reason exactly?

I didn’t watch this documentary, but these are good quotes from Anthony Gonzales and Liz Cheney:

"January 6 was an unconstitutional attempt led by the President of the United States to overturn an American election and reinstall himself in power illegitimately. That's fallen nation territory, that's third world country territory. My family left Cuba to avoid that fate. I will not let it happen here," Gonzalez said.

"I think it's all pushing towards one of two outcomes: He either wins legitimately, which he may do, or if he loses again, you just try to steal it," he added.

Gonzalez was one of numerous Republicans targeted by Trump in the year since the 2020 election after they stood up to his attempts to subvert his election loss to Joe Biden. Many of the GOP officials who took the brunt of Trump's wrath spoke to CNN for "Trumping Democracy: An American Coup," warning about the danger Trump still poses to American democracy as he keeps spreading the lie that the election was stolen from him.

"I'm afraid that the kind of political violence, the kind of abandonment of the rule of law, the kind of abandonment of the constitution that we watched, does threaten the foundations of democracy, the foundations of our system," said Rep. Liz Cheney, the Wyoming Republican who was kicked out of House GOP leadership over her criticism of Trump.

"And the fact that so many in my party are willing to be silent, are complicit, are enabling it, adds very much to the peril," added Cheney, one of two Republicans serving on the House select committee investigating January 6.

"I have real concerns about the future of this democracy," said Bill Gates, a Republican supervisor in Arizona's Maricopa County who pushed back on claims that there was fraud in the 2020 election result. "I didn't think we had this sort of pull towards authoritarianism in our in our democracy."

A lot more here:

I didn’t watch this documentary, but these are good quotes from Anthony Gonzales and Liz Cheney:

"January 6 was an unconstitutional attempt led by the President of the United States to overturn an American election and reinstall himself in power illegitimately. That's fallen nation territory, that's third world country territory. My family left Cuba to avoid that fate. I will not let it happen here," Gonzalez said.

"I think it's all pushing towards one of two outcomes: He either wins legitimately, which he may do, or if he loses again, you just try to steal it," he added.

Gonzalez was one of numerous Republicans targeted by Trump in the year since the 2020 election after they stood up to his attempts to subvert his election loss to Joe Biden. Many of the GOP officials who took the brunt of Trump's wrath spoke to CNN for "Trumping Democracy: An American Coup," warning about the danger Trump still poses to American democracy as he keeps spreading the lie that the election was stolen from him.

"I'm afraid that the kind of political violence, the kind of abandonment of the rule of law, the kind of abandonment of the constitution that we watched, does threaten the foundations of democracy, the foundations of our system," said Rep. Liz Cheney, the Wyoming Republican who was kicked out of House GOP leadership over her criticism of Trump.

"And the fact that so many in my party are willing to be silent, are complicit, are enabling it, adds very much to the peril," added Cheney, one of two Republicans serving on the House select committee investigating January 6.

"I have real concerns about the future of this democracy," said Bill Gates, a Republican supervisor in Arizona's Maricopa County who pushed back on claims that there was fraud in the 2020 election result. "I didn't think we had this sort of pull towards authoritarianism in our in our democracy."

A lot more here:

The problem is that it's always "retiring Republican" or "retired Republican," never "Republican still in office and seeking reelection."

There are more seeking re-election than retiring of the House GOP members who voted for impeachment.

There are more seeking re-election than retiring of the House GOP members who voted for impeachment.
    There have been tons of retired/retiring that spoke out against Trump. There are still far too few of the current crop willing to do the same.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom