Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Do tell

and he wanted to go to the Capitol, he was itching to go, but 'they' wouldn't let him
    ======================

Former President Donald Trump claims that he would have stopped his supporters from breaching the Capitol on January 6 if he'd been on the grounds with them.

Trump told Washington Examiner senior political correspondent David Drucker that he wanted to march to the Capitol with his supporters but that the Secret Service refused to greenlight his proposal.

"I wanted to go down with the crowd," Trump told Drucker in an interview for Drucker's book, "In Trump's Shadow: The Battle for 2024 and the Future of the GOP," which was published on Tuesday.

"I said I was going to go down with the crowd. But they wouldn't let me go. I think if I did go down there, I would have stopped the people from doing anything bad," Trump added.

Former White House aides told CNN in February that Trump enjoyed watching the frenzied mob storm the Capitol............

ABC News' Jonathan Karl also reports in his forthcoming book that Trump boasted about the size of the crowd that stormed the Capitol and had to record multiple takes of the video because he kept forgetting to call of the mob.

"Trump had to tape the message several times before they thought he got it right," an aide who was present for the recording told Karl..........

Sure, that was the intention, but the idea that they could have success does not exist in this universe. I do not see America as a banana republic that can be taken over by a bunch of mentally mentally challenged people. If this was a coup, it was the worst coup in world history. They were not armed and a single cop was able to contain hundreds of invaders and prevent them from getting to Pence. In a real coup the cop is shot instantly. However, it6 is possible that within the low IQ minds of then invaders they thought they had a chance. Most criminals are not that smart.
    Depends how you define success. The reality is they were mere minutes away from actually capturing (and potentially killing) lawmakers and could have gotten their hands on the sealed electoral votes. What then?

As I believe I've said before, that quote from Chernobyl (no idea if Gorby actually said it) applies here: If power comes from the perception of power than the idea of democracy comes from the perception that it works. There is no magical force that keeps democracy in place other than people's willingness to abide by it. Russia and China exist. There are functioning super powers out there where people go about their daily lives living under sham governments. If you don't think the January 6 attacks (and the political fallout afterwards) have dealt a huge blow to the underpinning of democracy then you are not paying attention.

If we did happen to find out that there were federal law enforcement employees in plain clothes participating in the insurrection, I’m going to need to see something that proves they were part of an official undercover operation before I accept they weren’t just there to support the cause.

There are plenty of people in the federal government who are just as Trumpy as a drunk uncle from Alabama.

Trump was President at the time (and nominally in control of these federal agents) so I don't even understand the conspiracy theory that feds were fomenting the riot so that the Democrats could later use that alleged False Flag operation to impeach Trump a second time? So Trump was working against himself?

Depends how you define success. The reality is they were mere minutes away from actually capturing (and potentially killing) lawmakers and could have gotten their hands on the sealed electoral votes. What then?

As I believe I've said before, that quote from Chernobyl (no idea if Gorby actually said it) applies here: If power comes from the perception of power than the idea of democracy comes from the perception that it works. There is no magical force that keeps democracy in place other than people's willingness to abide by it. Russia and China exist. There are functioning super powers out there where people go about their daily lives living under sham governments. If you don't think the January 6 attacks (and the political fallout afterwards) have dealt a huge blow to the underpinning of democracy then you are not paying attention.

I can say that them getting their hands on the sealed electoral votes wouldn't have done anything. Even if they destroyed them...everyone knew what the results of each state were, and to date, no state has given any indication that those results were wrong. So, the states would have simply reissued the slate of electors and the process would have competed.

I can say that them getting their hands on the sealed electoral votes wouldn't have done anything. Even if they destroyed them...everyone knew what the results of each state were, and to date, no state has given any indication that those results were wrong. So, the states would have simply reissued the slate of electors and the process would have competed.
    Probably yes. But it would have stalled things where -- at the time -- you had certain state legislatures (with Republican majorities) looking for any loophole they could find to intervene.

No one's accusing them of having a well thought out plan. But they wanted to screw it all up regardless.

Trump was President at the time (and nominally in control of these federal agents) so I don't even understand the conspiracy theory that feds were fomenting the riot so that the Democrats could later use that alleged False Flag operation to impeach Trump a second time? So Trump was working against himself?
    Deep State, duh, lol. All the baby eaters are against Trump.

If true, throw the whole lot of those traitors in jail...

Captain Obvious is not surprised!!!!! If they find any evidence that these idiots helped plan or coordinate in any way there better be some serious jail time involved....

When you look at it through the reporting in the Bernstein book, it actually seems like a semi-coherent plan. They (Trump and lackeys) tried to use the courts, they put a ton of pressure on states to change the counting of the votes, they also pressured states to do recounts and wanted them to “find” more Trump votes, they then started pressuring DOJ to open investigations into the votes, and finally they pressured Pence to lie and say there were alternate slates of electors when there were none. This is where the Eastman memo comes in.

I read that at least one state had some Trumpy representatives trying to meet just on their own and select Trump electors even though the actual electors selected by the votes were the Biden electors. That may have been Arizona, I can’t recall. It wasn’t an official session of the legislature, though, and nothing came of it.

When all of this failed, Trump called Bannon and the group in the hotel “war room”. During the insurrection Trump and Rudy were both calling Republicans MOC while they were in hiding and telling them they just needed to delay the certification for a day or two so they could get state legislatures to change their certification to the Trump electors.

I think we came much closer to a serious Constitutional crisis than we thought at the time. There needs to be serious consequences.

The capitol incident on January 6 was the redneck version of BLM looters.

Except BLM looters weren't trying to overthrow an election and they weren't trying to kill the Vice President of the U.S. and the Speaker of the House.

BLM looters also didn't have Democratic members of Congress helping them incite a riot, like several Republican traitors in Congress helped plan the Jan 6 insurrection.

Other than those glaring omissions, you almost had something.

There really weren’t any BLM looters, don’t let the radical right frame it in that way.

There were looters but absolutely no proof that they were associated with BLM chapters.

In my town, the BLM protest was totally peaceful for hours and hours. As it disbanded in the evening another group of people came in and caused the vandalism. This info is from a member of local law enforcement who was present and saw it. You could literally see the people who had been there all afternoon walking back to their cars at the same time the other group was walking into where the protest had been.

I would imagine that was commonly how it went most places.

There really weren’t any BLM looters, don’t let the radical right frame it in that way.

There were looters but absolutely no proof that they were associated with BLM chapters.

In my town, the BLM protest was totally peaceful for hours and hours. As it disbanded in the evening another group of people came in and caused the vandalism. This info is from a member of local law enforcement who was present and saw it. You could literally see the people who had been there all afternoon walking back to their cars at the same time the other group was walking into where the protest had been.

They made BLM look really bad.

Here is a BLM leader justifying looting as reparations for slavery.

W
    They made BLM look really bad.

Here is a BLM leader justifying looting as reparations for slavery.

What's you point? In the grand scheme of things, how does this remotely compare to what the Republican white supremacist traitors did on Jan 6?

I don't care how they "frame it". Regardless of whether or not any BLM protestors were "looting", it's nothing compared to what the Republican traitors did on Jan 6.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom