Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Liz Cheney isn't retiring. I'm very curious to see what happens in her House race in Wyoming next year.
    I'm not saying there aren't a few that opposed Trump/January 6. We know about Romney, Cheney, Kinzinger, Gonzales, and a precious few others. I'm saying that it's far too few relative to the offenses.

And we'll see how many of them get primaried in the next couple of cycles.

I'm not saying there aren't a few that opposed Trump/January 6. We know about Romney, Cheney, Kinzinger, Gonzales, and a precious few others. I'm saying that it's far too few relative to the offenses.

And we'll see how many of them get primaried in the next couple of cycles.

No argument there. It's shameful that there are not more Republican members of Congress willing to stand up to Trump. It truly disgusts me.

Especially Mitch McConnell. He gave a 10 minute speech after the second impeachment trial in February, complaining about how reckless Trump has been with his election lies and causing the Jan 6 insurrection. Yet that spineless coward still couldn't vote to convict Trump and continues to bend the knee for that fascist.

And Kevin McCarthy....oh my god. God help us if that sinister, hypocritical fork is ever Speaker of the House.

There’s been so much in the news lately I forgot about this nugget of information about the GA investigation into Trump. The screen shot is from a bipartisan analysis done by Brookings Institute. You can find that here:

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-conten...nvestigation_Brookings-Report_October2021.pdf

F89D5C03-9ACD-4178-BDC5-883B2A7A8163.png

Tell me you're guilty of committing crimes on 1/6 w/o telling me that you're guilty of committing crimes on 1/6...

He told the state-controlled Belarus 1 news channel on Nov. 7 that his lawyer had advised him to flee to Europe. He called the charges against him “unfounded” and claimed they amount to “political persecution.”

Tell me you're guilty of committing crimes on 1/6 w/o telling me that you're guilty of committing crimes on 1/6...

Aren't they angry about asylum seekers crossing the U.S. border? How is this any different?

Hey, they told him he has until Friday to appeal so I'm sure we'll see some masterful lawyering that'll instantly change the court's mind.

:idunno:

Good.
    I hope he rots in a real penitentiary. Either a DOC facility or a Federal facility that isn't basically a minimum security halfway house where the "inmates" have basically the same privileges as free people, just while confined to their facility. Of course, I'd prefer he gets Federal time since you serve, at a minimum, 80% of your sentence before there is even talk of parole. Most Federal inmates never get paroled and serve their entire term. State time is weak. A year is basically 4 months. So if he were to get 20 years, he'd only have to serve about 7 before getting released. Wish he'd have to remain locked up while waiting to go to trial too since he has the resources and contacts to hop on a jet to Russia (the most likely destination with no extradition treaty) or anyplace else where the arm of the legal system can't reach him. Having him turn in his passport would be useless. I'd bet dollars to donuts that he has many or could get one made for him by any number of his foreign contacts with some power in their respective governments.

SDNY just revealed an indictment of two Iranian nationals who tried various means to interfere in the 2020 presidential election. They were basically just trying to sow doubt in election integrity and they chose to target Rs and Trump voters. They claimed to be Proud boys in a social media campaign showing “proof” of how the democrats had ways to alter votes on a massive scale. They also sent these emails directly to R elected officials and members of the Trump campaign. They did successfully breach one state’s voter rolls, collecting thousands of voters’ data and used this data to construct a video of “proof” that votes were being altered by democrats. link to indictment:

SDNY just revealed an indictment of two Iranian nationals who tried various means to interfere in the 2020 presidential election. They were basically just trying to sow doubt in election integrity and they chose to target Rs and Trump voters. They claimed to be Proud boys in a social media campaign showing “proof” of how the democrats had ways to alter votes on a massive scale. They also sent these emails directly to R elected officials and members of the Trump campaign. They did successfully breach one state’s voter rolls, collecting thousands of voters’ data and used this data to construct a video of “proof” that votes were being altered by democrats. link to indictment:

Trumpers will just say this is proof that left wing operatives infiltrated their peaceful group on Jan 6.

Everyone knows Muslims from Iran are as left wing as it gets.

it's really just proof they are so stupid that they will fall for anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom