Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Looting as in not taking TVs. Mostly vandalism, selfies posing, stupidity!

No, looting is definitely steeling stuff as the primary purpose of entering a place during a riot.

What you're describing is ransacking. Ransacking was was a part of this mob's actions, but not the only part. There where multiple motivations among that mob.

If a moron attempts murder, but is unsuccessful due to incompetence, isn't it still a crime that should be taken seriously?
    This is seriously one of the main arguments the right is running with on this and it's forking laughably ridiculous.

"You took that serious? Look how stupid all those Trump supporters look out there."

Like, that's not an argument man.

This is seriously one of the main arguments the right is running with on this and it's forking laughably ridiculous.

"You took that serious? Look how stupid all those Trump supporters look out there."

You mean a political movement and party which has completely abandoned any policy and discussion of issues to "own the libs" and endless culture wars depicting historically-oppressed people and minorities as the enemy of "America" lacks a clear, logical, evidence-based argument?

In fact, I'm a Jack's complete lack of surprise at this development.

You mean a political movement and party which has completely abandoned any policy and discussion of issues to "own the libs" and endless culture wars depicting historically-oppressed people and minorities as the enemy of "America" lacks a clear, logical, evidence-based argument?

In fact, I'm a Jack's complete lack of surprise at this development.
    Development, huh?

However, as with anything let’s see how many would actually do it. How many would actually commit murder/kill someone for that idea? Also, how would a rational person think that them and their AR-15 is going to stand against a predator? It’s a great talking point, but in reality highly doubtful.
    I think a civil war talk is dumb but this line is tired. There are more instances than not when a people gain their freedom from technologically superior enemies, this great nation is a prime example. For a more modern example, if you listen, you can hear heavy breathing and laughter from the Irish, Afghan and the Viet Cong

It rates right up there with Powell and Tucker's lawyers "no reasonable person would believe" BS....I believe there are more unreasonable folks than anyone reasonable should be alarmed by....

For a "moderate" someone sure trumpets what Fox news and those other idiots on the "radical right" are preaching....

sad news today

This one is on those who keep talking about "tourist" and "peacefull demonstrators"

Imagine going through that hell on jan 6th and then half the people who you protected with your life pretends that it never happened!

This most recent suicide had me thinking, what could have happened now, so long after the event to cause this? It’s very worrisome that out of how many, several hundred officers? we have had 4 suicides in such a short time. It seems to be a lot.

Then I remembered how the officers who testified about the horrors of that day recently were subjected to public ridicule on Fox and in other right wing media, and remembered that most police officers tend to run conservative in their views. It must seem like a huge betrayal to them. Their own media, and the people they identify with the most, are calling them despicable names and making fun of their trauma. As if the attacks on that day weren’t enough.

This most recent suicide had me thinking, what could have happened now, so long after the event to cause this? It’s very worrisome that out of how many, several hundred officers? we have had 4 suicides in such a short time. It seems to be a lot.

Then I remembered how the officers who testified about the horrors of that day recently were subjected to public ridicule on Fox and in other right wing media, and remembered that most police officers tend to run conservative in their views. It must seem like a huge betrayal to them. Their own media, and the people they identify with the most, are calling them despicable names and making fun of their trauma. As if the attacks on that day weren’t enough.
    I suspect that some of these officers sympathized with the insurrectionists, that is probably a hard weight to carry on your mental health.

from Robert Reich
    ===================

We’ve become so inured to Donald Trump’s proto-fascism that we barely blink an eye when we learn that he tried to manipulate the 2020 election. Yet the most recent revelation should frighten every American to their core.

On Friday, the House oversight committee released notes of a 27 December telephone call from Trump to then acting attorney general Jeffrey Rosen, in which Trump told Rosen: “Just say the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R congressmen.” The notes were taken by Richard Donoghue, Rosen’s deputy, who was also on the call.

The release of these notes has barely made a stir. The weekend news was filled with more immediate things – infrastructure! The Delta strain! Inflation! Wildfires! In light of everything else going on, Trump’s bizarre efforts in the last weeks of his presidency seem wearily irrelevant. Didn’t we already know how desperate he was?

In a word, no. This revelation is hugely important.

Rosen obviously rejected Trump’s request. But what if Rosen had obeyed Trump and said to the American public that the election was corrupt – and then “left the rest” to Trump and the Republican congressmen? What would Trump’s and the Republicans’ next moves have been? And which Republican congressmen were in cahoots with Trump in this attempted coup d’état?

Make no mistake: this was an attempted coup.

Trump knew it. Just weeks earlier, then attorney general William Barr said the justice department had found no evidence of widespread fraud that could have overturned the results.

And a few days after Trump’s call to Rosen – on 2 January – Trump told Brad Raffensperger, Georgia’s secretary of state, to “find” votes to change the election outcome. He berated Raffensperger for not doing more to overturn the election.............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom