Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

I am particularly worried that if he does run, the GOP will have done enough damage in key states that he just might win. Or come close enough that they can use their new laws to sway the election his way. As chuck said, these state Republicans are bat shirt crazy.
    No doubt. I follow my local rep and both senators on FB. 90% of the posts come from from people that say "what are you going to do to overcome the rigged election" I gave up debating these types months ago. They are bat shirt crazy. In the words of Jack Nicholson, they can't handle the truth.

I can't believe that there might not be a real investigation into the 6th and everything that lead up to it
    ==============================================

The White House on Thursday batted down the prospect of President Biden appointing his own commission to investigate the events of Jan. 6, saying it is Congress's duty to look into the riots at the Capitol that day.

"As the President has said, the events of January 6th were an unprecedented assault on our democracy - and he believes they deserve a full, and independent, investigation to determine what transpired and ensure it can never happen again," press secretary Jen Psaki said in a statement.

"Congress was attacked on that day, and President Biden firmly agrees with Speaker Pelosi that Congress itself has a unique role and ability to carry out that investigation. Because of that, the President doesn't plan to appoint his own commission," she added.

"Members of Congress swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the President believes they can, and must, do that by putting politics aside and supporting a full and transparent investigation into January 6th.".............

Trump is finished politically. Republicans would be stupid to nominate him again. They are, but that's another topic. If and that's a big if, they nominate a moderate who's willing to reach across the aisle and work with Democrats, they can still win the presidency in 2024.

I want to agree with you, I really do...but i have my doubts....there are way too many in that party that are still worshipping Trump and if they think that is their best ticket to re-election he will continue to have a hold on the party....

Former Indiana Gov. and Trump VP Pence might end up being the GOP's best presidential shot in 2024. He's more of a W-clone, except he's more conservative then he was and his personality doesn't make him for him being as decisive as Trump was,simply because Pence probably would obey the law and follow the Constitution more often then not.

Hard disagree, most of Trump's base has already turned on Pence, I doubt he would even get the VP ticket if Trump does run. And I can't imaging someone in office that actually places Trump before their own family....

I think a lot of 'Trumpers' miss the policies of Trump but not the actual man. I don't know of one 'conservative' that missed Trump the man and wants him to run again in 2024. They miss the American first policies. I think the best thing is for Trump to behind the scenes but you know with his ego, there is 0% chance of that happening.

DeSantis 2024 is what the Dems should be really worried about and they are. You can tell they are getting worried because of the weird hit pieces the media has been doing lately.

I think a lot of 'Trumpers' miss the policies of Trump but not the actual man. I don't know of one 'conservative' that missed Trump the man and wants him to run again in 2024. They miss the American first policies. I think the best thing is for Trump to behind the scenes but you know with his ego, there is 0% chance of that happening.

DeSantis 2024 is what the Dems should be really worried about and they are. You can tell they are getting worried because of the weird hit pieces the media has been doing lately.

DeSantis is Trump-lite imo. Not a fan. I'd rather someone like Romney or Kasich. I know moderates are sort of in no man's land right now, but that's where I am.

I think a lot of 'Trumpers' miss the policies of Trump but not the actual man. I don't know of one 'conservative' that missed Trump the man and wants him to run again in 2024. They miss the American first policies.
    Nah. They miss the pandering.

This is true. The right wing religious zealots known as evangelicals have started to anoint him for the next election.

Trump is finished politically. Republicans would be stupid to nominate him again. They are, but that's another topic. If and that's a big if, they nominate a moderate who's willing to reach across the aisle and work with Democrats, they can still win the presidency in 2024.
    Maryland's Gov Larry Hogan is getting mentioned as a candidate as well
    I hate to be so blunt but.. there's no forking way man. There's no kind of broad appetite in the GOP for Hogan or another moderate.

I think Desantis makes a lot of sense for where the party is and current climate and all, honestly..

DeSantis is Trump-lite imo. Not a fan. I'd rather someone like Romney or Kasich. I know moderates are sort of in no man's land right now, but that's where I am.
    DeSantis is Trump-lite, that is exactly the reason the he will more than not be the candidate. He is Trump as far as punching back and America first without the abrasive cult of personality.

DeSantis is Trump-lite, that is exactly the reason the he will more than not be the candidate. He is Trump as far as punching back and America first without the abrasive cult of personality.

Maybe, but, I fully expect him to take on that cult of personality, even embrace it, if it endears him to the Trumper voters. I really don't want that. I've had enough of Trump and his rabid followers.

Maybe, but, I fully expect him to take on that cult of personality, even embrace it, if it endears him to the Trumper voters. I really don't want that. I've had enough of Trump and his rabid followers.
    DeSantis doesn't have the charisma to pull off anything like what we've seen with Trump.. I'm pretty confident the cult of personality absolute craziness we've seen is unique to Trump and non-transferable.

DeSantis doesn't have the charisma to pull off anything like what we've seen with Trump.. I'm pretty confident the cult of personality absolute craziness we've seen is unique to Trump and non-transferable.

I hope you're right. Time will tell.

And really, regarding Trump, he's who he's always been. So his Presidency really wasn't at all surprising.

DeSantis would have to pretend to be Trump, so it wouldn't be the same. But I do worry that he'll take a Trumpian approach to his opponents when running for the WH.

I’m not afraid of DeSantis, he doesn’t strike me as canny enough or charismatic enough to pull off what Trump did. There are plenty of times he looks like a complete fool. So does Trump, but as noted DeSantis doesn’t have the animal cunning or charisma of Trump. I cannot see a personality cult forming around DeSantis. 🤞🏻

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom