Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

She effed around and found out. She was a traitor and that cop supported and defended the Constitution from a domestic enemy. It cracks me up how the GQP is always frothing at the mouth yelling 'BaCk ThE bLuE!' and it's been crickets with this....
    If everything were the same in this shooting except Aslii Babbitt was a black BLM supporter doing the same, more cops would have shot her and conservatives would have donated millions to GoFundMe for the officers involved.

If everything were the same in this shooting except Aslii Babbitt was a black BLM supporter doing the same, more cops would have shot her and conservatives would have donated millions to GoFundMe for the officers involved.
    Actually, as racist and evil as these cops are too black people, they would have used a rocket launcher, flame thrower and called in air support. We have seen how the police have really cracked down on BLM rioters in the last year. The blood shed and all.

And, if it was a BLM rioters shot, the officer's information would have been released and a transparent investigation would be under way, although the results wouldn't be accepted and then we would have have more violence and unnecessary riots.

And, if it was a BLM rioters shot, the officer's information would have been released and a transparent investigation would be under way, although the results wouldn't be accepted and then we would have have more violence and unnecessary riots.
    For someone concerned about unnecessary riots and violence, you seem to be cool with Trump stirring up people to storm the capitol.

Actually, as racist and evil as these cops are too black people, they would have used a rocket launcher, flame thrower and called in air support. We have seen how the police have really cracked down on BLM rioters in the last year. The blood shed and all.

I know you think you're being hyperbolic to prove the opposite, but yeah, lots of bloodshed last year. Reporters being blinded, old people shoved down and bloodied, protesters clubbed and beaten, cars driven into crowds by the pigs, citizens taken for 'questioning' by unmarked paramilitary secret police. Short of straight-up opening fire, a lot of otherwise peaceful BLM protests have been marred by police violence since last May.

I don't know if this has been asked to you directly. Do you think the cop that killed Ashley Babbit was wrong for doing so. And if he didn't shoot her, what do you think her and the others intentions were if they got through the door? was it to peacefully greet them?

I don't know if this has been asked to you directly. Do you think the cop that killed Ashley Babbit was wrong for doing so. And if he didn't shoot her, what do you think her and the others intentions were if they got through the door? was it to peacefully greet them?
    I don't know. I honestly have no idea what happened. I would like to know and I would like to think the cop was in the right, as I do with most of these.
    If and this is an 'if' she was given vocal commands and presented a threat to the officer or someone else, then the shoot is justified.
    I think it is strange that this whole thing as been one big moving of the goal post/strawman events. We were told and many still believe that 5 to 7 died during the 'bloody 6th'. Turns out, only 1 and she was shot by the police and with no transparency.

I don't know. I honestly have no idea what happened. I would like to know and I would like to think the cop was in the right, as I do with most of these.
    If and this is an 'if' she was given vocal commands and presented a threat to the officer or someone else, then the shoot is justified.
    I think it is strange that this whole thing as been one big moving of the goal post/strawman events. We were told and many still believe that 5 to 7 died during the 'bloody 6th'. Turns out, only 1 and she was shot by the police and with no transparency.

Convenient that you ignore the USCP officer who was injured and later died of cardiac failure. It's not a leap to think that if the attack on the Capitol doesn't happen. Also, iirc, 3 other people died, 2 of apparent heart disease and one of what seems to be a drug overdose. They were all on the Capitol grounds and died that day. I guess you might say that had nothing to do with their deaths, but again, maybe the stress from the riot led to their deaths. So, to be accurate, I would say 5 people died during the riot.

One lady was crushed to death by the mob. I guess that doesn’t count either.

Two police officers committed suicide in the next few days. Pretty safe bet the trauma of that day had quite a bit to do with that.

One lady was crushed to death by the mob. I guess that doesn’t count either.

Two police officers committed suicide in the next few days. Pretty safe bet the trauma of that day had quite a bit to do with that.

Apparently, the lady supposedly crushed to death actually died of a drug overdose. She might have been trampled, but that's not the cause of death ruled by the coroner.

But yeah, hard to willfully ignore that the riot ended their life sooner than if it had not happened.

And the several dozen people injured during that awful day doesn't get much attention as well.

4 people did die in the Capitol Riot. 3 more died in the following days. And that doesn't count the hospitalizations and lost eye suffered by Capitol police. 17 are still not back from medical leave due to injuries suffered on January 6th. I don't think anyone can really characterize what happened around the Capitol as peaceful, right?

As far as Ashli Babbit goes, my stance is the same for all police shootings. It would be good to review to see if something could have been done better. There was clearly a failure in Capitol Police/whoever had responsibility in controlling the situation before it got to this point, and once it got to this point, my preference is for police to evacuate rather than confront rioters unless there was human life at risk.

However, I need to challenge you for a bit. She was already part of a violent mob, not all Congress members had been evacuated at that point, and she was clearly jumping through a locked door with officers clearly pointing weapons at the opening. There is no legal obligation for cops to retreat inside the Capitol building that they have a charge to protect. So the cop was well within his rights to stay and not retreat. There's very little chance that this is not a justified application of lethal force within the confines of the law.

I get the feeling that people who are taking the position you are, are doing so out of some sort of weird attempt to reverse the situation against a perceived opponent who might have been against other police shootings. Which is normal, but also probably less useful then just merely asking the question - why is this shooting justified, and X person's is not?

We have seen how the police have really cracked down on BLM rioters in the last year. The blood shed and all.
    There were more BLM supporters injured by law enforcement than law enforcement injured by BLM supporters during all of last year.

Unlike during the Jan 6 insurrection... Far more law enforcement were injured by insurrectionists than vice versa. Something like a 3-4 to one ratio (and that's *general* injuries for the insurrectionists, not injuries caused by LE). There wasn't even one BLM protest/demonstration with that kind of LE to protestor injured ratio.

I still think most of the terrorists/insurrectionists were stunned they had to fight the Capitol Police to get to lawmakers.

The terrorists/insurrectionists thought Capitol Police would naturally be on their/Trump's side and roll over and let them on through. And when that didn't happen they beat the shirt out of the officers.

And so, if that's how you treat the people who, just prior, were perceived to be your allies... it becomes pretty apparent to me that they weren't attempting to reach the lawmakers for an honest game of tiddlywinks.. ..we'd be dealing with the murders of Congressional Democrats and anti-Trump "Rinos" like Romney.

Thankfully, it didn't play out that way.. but because it didn't it's been even easier for the worst of those on the right to create and craft this alternate reality and carry the message to their head-up-Trump's-arse constituents that people like Babbitt weren't terrorists but in fact their honorable freedom fighters, and that maybe Babbitt and Co. were actually the true victims of that day.

After all, wouldn't you be a victim if you were killed just taking a "stroll" through the Capitol?

forking anti-American garbage right there.

Last edited:
    So, did they say 5 to 7 people died or did they say 5 to 7 people were murdered? If they said 5 to7 people died, i think that is a fair statement.
    Two civilians who died during the violent Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol died of natural causes, and a third succumbed to amphetamine intoxication, according to the D.C. medical examiner’s office.

A fourth person, 35-year-old Ashli Babbitt, who was fatally shot by a Capitol police officer inside the Capitol, was struck by a bullet to her front left shoulder, the medical examiner said in a statement.
    The cause of death for a fifth person, Capitol Police Officer Brian D. Sicknick, who collapsed after confronting rioters and died Jan. 7, remains pending. Two people have been charged with assaulting Sicknick by spraying him with a chemical irritant.
    The video is pretty clear. they were visibly breaking the windows trying to force their way through.
    Its clear Babbitt was climbing through the broken window..
    I'll say it: she WAS a patriot, but died a traitor and her death should be treated as such...
    If this was the white house, would you feel any different?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom