Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

I'd probably agree, and it it was not just limited to Social Media. Our BBC was VERY anti-Brexit, with over 75% of the pundits they interviewed being anti-Brexit. The tabloid newspapers stirred the brew by publishing all MANNER of scare stories, both pro and con ! People lost faith in the 'established' or 'mainstream' media, pushing them into the arms of Social Media !!

Growing vegetables CAN be time consuming. However, if you limit yourself, and just have a relatively small quantity in pots and troughs, I find it emminently manageable. Hence these days I don't go for Brassicas, just a couple of chilli plants, some onions, tomatoes, and - of course - the runner beans.

Oh.. and a couple of pots of courgettes.

Ummm.. all of which is getting somewhat off-topic :D

The impact of social media and being able to target your exact audience can not be taken lightly.

Now back off topic I grow in the earth I get plenty of veggies when I have the time to work the earth.

Tilling up a plot is a bunch of work the older I get. The available help is exactly zero help in my household so we are at a standstill.

It makes it not fun when she gives all my stuff away to friends and the only help is picking stuff to give away.

But like I said that is another story all together.

we'll see if there is more of this to come and on a national level
    ===========================================

RICHMOND —The Virginia Senate took action Tuesday to sanction a Republican member who praised the U.S. Capitol rioters as "patriots," while two GOP members of the House of Delegates complained that their punishment for seeking to "nullify" the state's slate of presidential electors amounted to stifling free speech.

Just a day before President-elect Joe Biden was to take office in Washington, the impact of President Trump's attempt to hold onto power and his followers' attack on the U.S. Capitol this month continued to reverberate two hours down the road in Richmond.

In the state Senate, Democrats have sought to censure Sen. Amanda F. Chase (R-Chesterfield), who gave an inflammatory speech at the Jan. 6 Trump rally in Washington and later praised the rioters who attacked the U.S. Capitol.

On Tuesday, the censure proposal cleared a committee vote, and the full Senate also voted to strip Chase of her lone committee assignment. Last year, Chase was removed from three other committee posts after her decision in late 2019 to quit the Senate Republican Caucus to protest the reelection of caucus leaders who had criticized her after a string of controversies, including cursing at a Capitol Police officer over a parking spot.

Chase objected strenuously to Tuesday’s move, threatening legal action and calling it an effort to undermine her bid for this year’s GOP gubernatorial nomination.................

Virginia GOP senator who praised rioters stripped of her committee as lawmakers wrestle with fallout from Trump (msn.com)

Schoolteachers now
    ========================
    A teacher at Fred Lynn Middle School in Woodbridge has been placed on leave after appearing to tell his students during a Zoom class last week that he was present at the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

A student in the class took a video of the teacher, Benjamin Plummer, talking about his experience during the incident and shared the video on social media. The principal of the school then sent a letter to parents on Friday, Jan. 15, saying that Plummer had been placed on leave.

Prince William County Schools spokeswoman Diana Gulotta said Monday that the school system is aware of social media posts “connecting employee(s) to the protests and riots at the Capitol Building” and will investigate the allegations. She added that employees who engage in criminal activity could be fired.

“Prince William County Public Schools recognizes that employees have a right to engage in political activity on their personal time. However, employees may not engage in political activities during worktime, on school property, or using school resources. Employees who engage in criminal activity which calls into question their fitness as a role model for students may no longer qualify for employment with PWCS,” Gulotta said.

The video began making the rounds on social media on Monday. In it, Plummer can be heard telling students about his experience at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

“I was there. That's what I witnessed. That's what I saw. And I heard the media just blamed Trump supporters the whole time, and I knew that it was a setup,” Plummer told the students.

Plummer went on to tell them that the actions of Trump supporters who took part in the rally and riot were “incredibly peaceful” compared to the Black Lives Matter protests and riots that occurred over the summer, and that they did not “damage or hurt things.”

“We listened to three months in the summer of organizations destroying cities, burning cities, looting cities. What did the media say about these people? Oh, they're peaceful protesters,” Plummer said. “Now, you have Trump supporters that are incredibly peaceful. They all believe. They're all Christians. They believe in God. You know, they're not there to damage or hurt things.”.................

Prince William middle school teacher placed on leave after telling students he attended U.S. Capitol protest | News | princewilliamtimes.com

Shively reached out to local police and confessed that he was at the Capitol and that he wanted to self-surrender. In an interview with the FBI in Pennsylvania, he admitted that he "got caught up in the moment," when he grabbed a police officer by his coat, CNN reported.

Federal prosecutors also provided a video of Shively allegedly shoving a police officer. Assistant US Attorney Scott Ford said that was not the only instance of Shively assaulting an officer.

"His charges are different than the majority of the people that were down in DC. He didn't just enter the Capitol unlawfully, he actually laid hands on police officers on three separate occasions," said Ford, according to CNN.

As we'd say up north...

Ope.

I'm not sure how Mitch is counting "peaceful" but a mob of insurrectionists trying to stop the transfer of power in a day that costs five Americans their lives and puts the top three American officials in the line of succession within minutes of potentially being captured and/or harmed, doesn't become "peaceful" just because they fail.

the video of this was terrible to watch
    ================================
    WASHINGTON (WJLA) — A Connecticut man is facing assaulting charges after the U.S. Department of Justice says he was caught on video shoving a D.C. police officer against a U.S. Capitol door during the January 6 riot.

Patrick McCaughey III, of Ridgefield, Connecticut, was arrested Tuesday and charged with:

• Assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers or employees;
    • Civil Disorder;
    • Restricted Building or Grounds; and
    • Violent Entry or Disorderly Conduct.
    According to the affidavit, the incident happened just after 3 p.m. when McCaughey is reportedly seen on U.S. Capitol Police security video with a clear police riot shield. The document says McCaughey pushed himself to the front of the crowd, coming face-to-face with law enforcement.

Authorities say this is when McCaughey pushed the riot shield against Officer Daniel Hodges, saying, "Don't try and use that stick on me, boy." During this time, the officer was holding a police baton...................

'Don't try and use that stick on me, boy': Man charged with crushing DC officer in riot (msn.com)

this is a fairly long read

I guess I'll also post this too

ex-Republican pollster Frank Luntz held a focus group evenly split between Biden and Trump voters to see what connected.

The Zoom session was swiftly derailed by shouting, crosstalk, disputes over basic facts and even deeply personal attacks, such as one panelist mocking another for sharing his mother's death from COVID-19.

"Saying it's tough is an understatement," Luntz said on Fox News Wednesday night before anchor Bret Baier showed clips from the raucous focus group. "I reached a point where I don't want to do this anymore."

this is a fairly long read

I guess I'll also post this too

ex-Republican pollster Frank Luntz held a focus group evenly split between Biden and Trump voters to see what connected.

The Zoom session was swiftly derailed by shouting, crosstalk, disputes over basic facts and even deeply personal attacks, such as one panelist mocking another for sharing his mother's death from COVID-19.

"Saying it's tough is an understatement," Luntz said on Fox News Wednesday night before anchor Bret Baier showed clips from the raucous focus group. "I reached a point where I don't want to do this anymore."

I listened to the 26 minutes posted by Luntz on YouTube of his focus group, and it wasn't that bad. Granted, I think he left off some of the undiscernible portions of people speaking over each other, so maybe the rest was terrible. There were a few crazies on there talking about the election being stolen and how Democrats will never allow another fair election, but most were much more reasonable.

Rudy G hit with a $1.3 Billion lawsuit from Dominion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom