Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Not good. Luckily, no plot against Biden was found, but these indivduals shouldn't be a part of the service anymore if those ties are still active ones...

and yet
========================

Texas Governor Greg Abbott on Tuesday slammed the FBI’s vetting of National Guard members, including those from his state, who are being called to Washington, D.C. to provide security for President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration on Wednesday.

“This is the most offensive thing I’ve ever heard. No one should ever question the loyalty or professionalism of the Texas National Guard,” Abbott wrote in a tweet.

The Republican governor said he has authorized more than 1,000 Texas National Guard members to be deployed to the nation’s capital.

“I’ll never do it again if they are disrespected like this,” Abbott said.................

Texas Governor Slams FBI Vetting of National Guard: ‘The Most Offensive Thing I’ve Ever Heard’ (msn.com)

This is ridiculous. That said, wait a bit and make the request again after the new administration gets up and running. Shouldn't be a problem then.
I’m by no means excusing Trump but weren’t the VA cops/guardsmen already working that day? If yes I don’t see how you have extra expense beyond maybe some fuel costs to get them to DC. Now if you are calling up extra personnel who currently aren’t on the payroll to activate and send them I’d see where the additional cost comes into play, but if these are cops already working for the state of Virginia I don’t know why they aren’t already paid by VA with existing funds.

So is he going to vote to impeach, or is this his "but we still need unity!" preface?
I'm holding on to this idea that Mitch McConnell is smart enough to realize that they'll be better off by going ahead now and dealing with the pain of finalizing their divorce from Trump.

If McConnell and Co. don't finish this, their party as a whole will continue to cower to this cult of personality that they're almost all culpable in helping to create.

I'm holding on to this idea that Mitch McConnell is smart enough to realize that they'll be better off by going ahead now and dealing with the pain of finalizing their divorce from Trump.

If McConnell and Co. don't finish this, their party as a whole will continue to cower to this cult of personality that they're almost all culpable in helping to create.

Absolutely. And, they're trying to play both sides by continuing to slant messaging to Trumpers. I feel like the danger to them isn't Trump, but rather, Trumpers. They're afraid of losing that voting bloc if they can't keep them in the fold. It's ultimately not going to work. Independents will not buy into a party driven by those on the far right. And Independents are a growing segment of the voting population.

Republicans have to cut out the cancer. It's gonna hurt, and may even kill the party in the short term. But it's better for Americans long term to have a party not driven by those who adhere to Trump's world views.

I’m by no means excusing Trump but weren’t the VA cops/guardsmen already working that day? If yes I don’t see how you have extra expense beyond maybe some fuel costs to get them to DC. Now if you are calling up extra personnel who currently aren’t on the payroll to activate and send them I’d see where the additional cost comes into play, but if these are cops already working for the state of Virginia I don’t know why they aren’t already paid by VA with existing funds.

yes working for VA. Not DC.

So whomever you sent to DC had to be replaced in VA by off-duty/reserve ( or off-duty/reserve sent ) - either way you incurred a large, unexpected expense.

yes working for VA. Not DC.

So whomever you sent to DC had to be replaced in VA by off-duty/reserve ( or off-duty/reserve sent ) - either way you incurred a large, unexpected expense.

Pretty much. Any personnel you send has to have someone else replace them. Because of the added man power, you also will have people earning overtime who otherwise normally wouldn't. That's a substantial added on expense.

Another note.

I think the people who pick the images for an article, especially for headlines, are often brilliant. Always subtle (or not so subtle) emotions being conveyed.

1611083579850.png

The first conspiracy charge has been filed by authorities investigating the Capitol riots, against an apparent leader of the paramilitary group the Oath Keepers.

Thomas Edward Caldwell, 65, from Clarke County, Va., faces four federal charges, including conspiracy to commit an offense and obstruction of an official proceeding at the Capitol, according to court documents signed by a judge on Sunday.

The charges related to Caldwell's alleged involvement in the Capitol riots on Jan. 6 and his suggestion to do the same at state capitols.

and yet
========================

Texas Governor Greg Abbott on Tuesday slammed the FBI’s vetting of National Guard members, including those from his state, who are being called to Washington, D.C. to provide security for President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration on Wednesday.

“This is the most offensive thing I’ve ever heard. No one should ever question the loyalty or professionalism of the Texas National Guard,” Abbott wrote in a tweet.

The Republican governor said he has authorized more than 1,000 Texas National Guard members to be deployed to the nation’s capital.

“I’ll never do it again if they are disrespected like this,” Abbott said.................

Texas Governor Slams FBI Vetting of National Guard: ‘The Most Offensive Thing I’ve Ever Heard’ (msn.com)

If he thinks this is offensive, wait until he hears about Ken Paxton's lawsuit.

In retrospect probably not the brightest of ideas
==================================

A New York man has now been charged with participating in the Jan. 6 insurrection in D.C. after allegedly texting a picture and video of himself in the Capitol to his girlfriend’s brother – a special agent with the U.S. Diplomatic Security Service.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the agent – who is a federal officer employed by the U.S. Department of State – reported the photo and video to the Diplomatic Security Service, which then passed it along to the Joint Terrorism Task Force.

The agent reportedly saw a post from his sister on Facebook that her boyfriend, Thomas Fee, of Freeport, New York, was in D.C. “at the rally” on Jan. 6. The agent subsequently texted Fee, who allegedly confirmed his presence and sent him a “selfie” of him in the Capitol Rotunda, along with a video and a text saying he was “at the tip of the spear.”..............

Capitol rioter arrested after sending 'selfie' to girlfriend's brother – a federal agent (msn.com)

capitol siege.jpg

In retrospect probably not the brightest of ideas
==================================

A New York man has now been charged with participating in the Jan. 6 insurrection in D.C. after allegedly texting a picture and video of himself in the Capitol to his girlfriend’s brother – a special agent with the U.S. Diplomatic Security Service.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the agent – who is a federal officer employed by the U.S. Department of State – reported the photo and video to the Diplomatic Security Service, which then passed it along to the Joint Terrorism Task Force.

The agent reportedly saw a post from his sister on Facebook that her boyfriend, Thomas Fee, of Freeport, New York, was in D.C. “at the rally” on Jan. 6. The agent subsequently texted Fee, who allegedly confirmed his presence and sent him a “selfie” of him in the Capitol Rotunda, along with a video and a text saying he was “at the tip of the spear.”..............

Capitol rioter arrested after sending 'selfie' to girlfriend's brother – a federal agent (msn.com)

capitol siege.jpg

Stupid games, stupid prizes, lol.

Stupid games, stupid prizes, lol.

its pretty comical at this point.

all these wannabe cosplay "infiltrators" are as dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to operational security.

Stick to your hours spent on Medal of Honor games on Xbox or PS5.

its pretty comical at this point.

all these wannabe cosplay "infiltrators" are as dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to operational security.

Stick to your hours spent on Medal of Honor games on Xbox or PS5.
I'd rather them stick to their practice sessions in the woods. More chance of a tannerite accident.

These people who keep saying stuff like "i didn't damage or mess with anything, i was just there, i didn't think that was illegal" crack me up.
A few years ago, i was coming to work, at the plant there is an office that is nothing but vending machines. I usually get me a coke zero most mornings. When I looked at the Candy/Chip machine I noticed the glass was broken (all the glass had fell down into the bottom of the machine) and all the stuff was just staring there saying, FREE HONEY BUNS. I thought about it for a micro second, but then got my coke zero and went on about my way. Well, later on that day i went back out there and the security guy was in there with a picture asking if anyone knew this guy. Yep, he was on camera. His candy got stuck, so he started rocking the machine and eventually, his hands went right through the glass. That may not have gotten him fired. What got him fired was he decided to go ahead and take a handful of stuff. To make things worse, 4 of his co workers were in there and they al took stuff. all got fired (contractors). I saw their supervisor a few days later and he was like, i lost my whole crew over some dam chips. he said the other guys tried to talk their way out of it saying they didn't do anything wrong, they'll pay for the chips..lol. Thats what i think about when i hear i didn't do anything wrong. My know better kept me from getting fired that day.

Number of guard members removed from inauguration duty is up to 12 now.

Top Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said the group of 10 other individuals were flagged during the FBI vetting process “for a number of different reasons unrelated to the events here.”

“These are vetting efforts that identify any questionable behavior in the past or any potential link to questionable behavior not just related to extremism,” Hoffman said alongside Hokanson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom