Trump Indictment ( includes NY AG and Fed documents case ) (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Former President D. Trump has been indicted by a New York Grand Jury. There will be much to talk about on this topic because this is just the first step in a lengthy process.
    Possibly it is worthy of its own thread here rather than posting about Trump's indictment in already existing threads? :unsure:
    This 3/31/23 story might get the ball rolling....

I’m not the only one who thinks Cannon should be impeached:

The problem with impeachment her is I would imagine they would have to start the whole case over again, making it near impossible to complete prior to the election. No win situation at this point.

Former president Donald Trump’s lawyers say they may use evidence suggesting that Trump had a high-level security clearance as recently as last year to bolster their defense that the former president was acting in “good-faith and non-criminal states of mind” when he took sensitive documents from the White House to his Florida residence after leaving office.

The revelation came in a legal filing late Tuesday night in which Trump’s attorneys urged Judge Aileen M. Cannon — who is overseeing Trump’s federal trial in Florida for allegedly mishandling classified documents — to force prosecutors to produce more information about the evidence they have about the former president. A “motion to compel discovery” is a standard part of pre-trial legal proceedings.

In the 65-page filing, Trump’s lawyers disclosed some of the defenses they plan to use in the case, one of four criminal trials Trump is facing. They asked for communication between prosecutors and the Biden administration, which they said could show that the indictment against Trump is politically motivated, and they argued that prosecutors must show more evidence that Trump damaged national security by possessing the documents.

Among the more specific possible defenses: Lawyers for Trump say he had an active security clearance years after leaving the White House, based on a government document from June 2023 that still listed him with a “Q” clearance from the Department of Energy. The document was dated a few weeks after prosecutors indicted Trump in the case. He faces 40 counts related to willful retention of national defense information; obstruction, withholding or altering of documents; and making false statements, and has pleaded not guilty.

Trump attorney Todd Blanche first publicly referred to the "Q" clearance at a November court hearing in Florida, saying he had learned Trump “continued to have an active clearance” when prosecutors turned over the Department of Energy documentation as part of what is known as Brady material — evidence that prosecutors must share with defense lawyers that could be helpful to the defense.

In the latest filing, Trump’s attorneys suggested they still do not know the entirety of what the Department of Energy filing entails and asked the judge to force prosecutors to provide more information about the “Q” clearance. The term refers to a type of security clearance handled by the agency, whose classified information focuses largely on nuclear secrets. It became popular in right-wing conspiracy circles because of the movement known as QAnon, which originated during Trump’s presidency and centers on made-up claims circulated by a person known as “Q”, who supporters claimed had that level of clearance.

Trump’s attorneys did not suggest that they believed the clearance would allow Trump to store highly classified material at Mar-a-Lago, his Florida home and private club. Rather, they said it speaks to his state of mind and shows that he was acting in good faith when he stored the materials at his personal residence...........

any opinions on this opinion piece? apparently one of the authors of the article is a former federal prosecutor and the other is Harvard legal scholar

"Cannon's move is part of an existing pattern of her "laying the groundwork for delaying Trump’s trial—until it’s too late for a jury to be empaneled and the case tried to verdict before the election."

any opinions on this opinion piece? apparently one of the authors of the article is a former federal prosecutor and the other is Harvard legal scholar

"Cannon's move is part of an existing pattern of her "laying the groundwork for delaying Trump’s trial—until it’s too late for a jury to be empaneled and the case tried to verdict before the election."
    I think a lot of legal experts believe this is happening. She’s not being very subtle about it.

hmm but I wonder if it is for deliberate, nefarious reasons...
    Today's order seems pretty clear to me. She literally (as I understand it) told the Special Prosecutor's office to stop providing discovery evidence to the defense.

Today's order seems pretty clear to me. She literally (as I understand it) told the Special Prosecutor's office to stop providing discovery evidence to the defense.

That was Judge Chutken in the DC case. The order was issued because the case is on hold pending appeal.

They were discussing Judge Cannon in the documents case in Florida.

I suppose she can’t get in trouble for this - but at least can she be spreading Covid among the Trump party? (kidding, I don’t want anyone to get it, really).

You know who else was at the Trump “victory” party? lol.

Judge Arthur Engoron — who is overseeing proceedings in former President Donald Trump's civil fraud trial in New York — may be considering a harsher-than-expected penalty for Trump as he prepares to issue a final ruling in the bench trial.

The Daily Beast recently reported that Engoron was alarmed by a New York Times article from earlier this month about Allen Weisselberg, who was the former chief financial officer for the Trump Organization, planning to plead guilty to perjury for allegedly lying on the stand.

"As the presiding magistrate, the trier of fact, and the judge of credibility, I of course want to know whether Mr. Weisselberg is now changing his tune, and whether he is admitting he lied under oath in my courtroom at this trial," Engoron wrote in an email on Monday. "I do not want to ignore anything in a case of this magnitude."

Engoron added that he may use Weisselberg's alleged perjury as "a basis to invoke falsus in uno," in reference to the term "falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus," which is Latin for "false in one thing, false in everything." This suggests that Engoron may disregard Weisselberg's entire testimony during the civil fraud trial as untruthful and use that to inform his final judgment.

New York Attorney General Letitia James is seeking up to $370 million in "disgorgement" penalties related to Trump allegedly inflating the value of his real estate assets to obtain preferential tax and insurance rates. She also is aiming to have Trump and his adult children banned from serving as officers in any New York-based company for at last five years. A massive penalty is a near-certainty, as Engoron already ruled that Trump committed "widespread fraud" in financial filings submitted to the state. That decision was later upheld by a New York appeals court.............

Cannon has made another dangerous ruling. I think it’s time for Smith to appeal to the 11th Circuit and ask for her removal.

Cannon has made another dangerous ruling. I think it’s time for Smith to appeal to the 11th Circuit and ask for her removal.

Cannon is obviously corrupt. Let's hope Smith isn't a coward, which he hasn't appeared to be so far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom