Trump Election Interference / Falsification of Business Records Criminal Trial (Trump guilty on all 34 Counts) (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

What will happen now that former President Donald Trump was found guilty (in 34 counts) by the jury?
    Speculation on the judge relating to sentencing?
    Appeals?
    Political Damage?

So it appears that the jury is now satisfied with their requests from yesterday afternoon and have returned to the deliberation room. Clock starts again - we were at 4:30 when they adjourned yesterday, I believe.

So of the 34 counts of FALSIFYING BUSINESS RECORDS IN THE FIRST DEGREE, can they find him guilty of some and not all? and which counts are the more severe, or do they all carry the same weight? sorry for the lack of understanding, i've never been good at understanding legal stuff like this..lol

So of the 34 counts of FALSIFYING BUSINESS RECORDS IN THE FIRST DEGREE, can they find him guilty of some and not all? and which counts are the more severe, or do they all carry the same weight? sorry for the lack of understanding, i've never been good at understanding legal stuff like this..lol

They are asked to reach a verdict on each count, and any verdict they do reach must be unanimous as to that count. So for the jury to have a verdict on any one of the 34 counts, they must be unanimous either as to guilt or non-guilt. But at the same time, they don't have to reach verdicts on every count. So it could be an entirely mixed bag: for example they can find him guilty as to 9 of the counts, non-guilty as to 15 of the counts, and they can be deadlocked on the remaining 10 counts.

That would mean Trump is convicted and to be sentenced on 9 counts of falsifying business records in the first degree. And that he is aquitted on 15 of those counts. The remaining 10 counts are subject to re-trial should the prosecution desire it (they probably would not).

They are asked to reach a verdict on each count, and any verdict they do reach must be unanimous as to that count. So for the jury to have a verdict on any one of the 34 counts, they must be unanimous either as to guilt or non-guilt. But at the same time, they don't have to reach verdicts on every count. So it could be an entirely mixed bag: for example they can find him guilty as to 9 of the counts, non-guilty as to 15 of the counts, and they can be deadlocked on the remaining 10 counts.

That would mean Trump is convicted and to be sentenced on 9 counts of falsifying business records in the first degree. And that he is aquitted on 15 of those counts. The remaining 10 counts are subject to re-trial should the prosecution desire it (they probably would not).

I should add that if Trump is convicted, he will seek to remain on bond while his appeal is pending. What's interesting about that is that per some research, the vast majority of defendants are not permitted avoid detention while their appeal is pending - as criminal appeals are very common and no one would ever go to prison if they were simply allowed to remain on bond. Of course Trump is a unique defendant/convict with very important considerations to be made.

BUT, the question of detention while appeal is pending is left to the discretion of the trial judge . . . who Trump has been insulting and bashing on a day to day basis since well before the trial. Just another example of Trump's wild stupidity on display. The judge didn't bring the charges. The judge doesn't decide guilt. But the judge has discretion in key areas that a defendant should be very cognizant of . . . bashing the judge publicly throughout your case stands to gain you very little, and cost you greatly. Just so forking stupid.

Last edited:

okay, why does this guy think this is necessary?

My understanding is even convicted Trump would remain out until sentencing

Todd Starnes is particularly infected with MAGA Mushbrain - as this is dramatically idiotic.

Donald Trump is free on conditioned-release right now in two states and two federal districts: New York, Georgia, the federal district for the District of Columbia, and the federal district for the Southern District of Florida. Were Donald Trump to flee his trial in New York, breaking the conditions of his release there, he would immediately become a fugitive from justice in New York. This would also prompt immediate requests to rescind release by the prosecutors in the other jurisdictions because the single most important element of of being free pending trial is that you can be trusted not to skip town. And at which time he is longer free on conditional release, he becomes wanted for arrest, and because this includes two federal indictments he will be wanted by the U.S. Marshals and the FBI - who are able to operate in Florida or Oklahoma or whatever other state may think they would harbor him.

In addition, Trump would require assistance to flee - including at minimum his drivers, pilots, and assistants, all of which would then be subject to prosecution for aiding a fugitive. Finally, as Trump is under Secret Service detail, and they aren't going to break the law - they are simply going to advise him that his plan to leave is unlawful and he will do so without their protection. And then the USSS will notify the FAA and Trump's plane won't be cleared to take off.

Good Lord.

I should add that if Trump is convicted, he will seek to remain on bond while his appeal is pending. What's interesting about that is that per some research, the vast majority of defendants are not permitted avoid detention while their appeal is pending - as criminal appeals are very common and no one would ever go to prison if they were simply allowed to remain on bond. Of course Trump is a unique defendant/convict with very important considerations to be made.

BUT, the question of detention while appeal is pending is left to the discretion of the trial judge . . . who Trump has been insulting and bashing on a day to day basis since well before the trial. Just another example of Trump's wild stupidity on display. The judge didn't bring the charges. The judge doesn't decide guilt. But the judge has discretion in key areas that a defendant should be very cognizant of . . . bashing the judge publicly throughout your case stands to gain you very little, and cost you greatly. Just so forking stupid.
    thanks, i know there was a description for each count. but, i really wasn't sure if they were all equal damaging, or if some were less..
    so as long as they find him guilty on a handful of counts, hes SOL? obviously if f he was found guilty on all/most counts, the punishent is far worse, but a handful would be pretty damaging to him at this stage in his campaign and age.
    This jury is about to go down in history as one of the biggest decisions ever. that is unless they end up a hung jury for all 34 counts.

But we all know if he is found guily, these poor people will need around the clock protection for quite a while.

thanks, i know there was a description for each count. but, i really wasn't sure if they were all equal damaging, or if some were less..
    so as long as they find him guilty on a handful of counts, hes SOL? obviously if f he was found guilty on all/most counts, the punishent is far worse, but a handful would be pretty damaging to him at this stage in his campaign and age.
    This jury is about to go down in history as one of the biggest decisions ever. that is unless they end up a hung jury for all 34 counts.

But we all know if he is found guily, these poor people will need around the clock protection for quite a while.

I think yes and no - a single conviction certainly means that he's a convicted felon and will be sentenced per the New York sentencing guidelines. But if he's only convicted on a single count or just a small handful, I think it's far more likely that his sentence will be minimal and not to include incarceration. If he's convicted on all 34, the case for a stronger sentence is far more compelling . . . and somewhere in between is somewhere in between.

Last edited:
    I think yes and no - a single conviction certainly means that he's a convicted felon and will be sentenced per the New York sentencing guidelines. But if he's only convicted on a single count or just a small handful, I think it's far more likely that his sentence will be minimal and not to include incarceration. If he's convicted on all 34, the case for a stronger sentence is far more compelling . . . and somewhere in between is somewhere in between.
    My cynical brain says that he could be convicted offor all counts and he'll receive house arrest which he will violate immediately. Nobody will do anything.

My cynical brain says that he could be convicted offor all counts and he'll receive house arrest which he will violate immediately. Nobody will do anything.

I don't think there would be much patience with him violating the terms of a sentence - protective orders are one thing, the defendant is still presumed innocent at that time. But a house-arrest accommodation on sentence is another matter entirely.

But there's a lot to happen between now and that kind of scenario. If he's convicted, he won't be sentenced until the sentencing hearing that won't be for weeks if not longer than that. And then it really becomes tricky for the court to manage this highly unusual situation.

WaPo:

There have been no new jury notes since the panel went back to the jury room around 11 a.m. After spending the morning hearing a readback of testimony, the jurors deliberated for about five hours, with lunch sandwiched somewhere in there. The judge has told the jurors they should work until at least 4:30 p.m., and can stay longer if they want, but not past 6 p.m.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom