Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

This is being spun this way in spite of the fact that the anti-abortionists matched the spending dollar for dollar. In spite of the fact that the R legislature put it on the primary ballot because Democrats don’t really vote in the primaries because they don’t usually have contested primaries. It’s a dishonest take, but I’m not surprised by their dishonesty.

This is being spun this way in spite of the fact that the anti-abortionists matched the spending dollar for dollar. In spite of the fact that the R legislature put it on the primary ballot because Democrats don’t really vote in the primaries because they don’t usually have contested primaries. It’s a dishonest take, but I’m not surprised by their dishonesty.

Man, miller's face really makes him look like the nazi that he is...

I'm glad to see that Kansas residents voted to protect a woman's bodily autonomy and abortion access, but I agree with the opinion piece below. Fundamental rights, like bodily autonomy, should not be up for a vote in the first place. It's good that a larger percentage of American citizens believe in protecting fundamental rights for woman, and voted that way in Kansas. And if there is a vote, it should be a stand alone referendum subject to the popular vote, like just happened in Kansas, not laws passed by anti-majoritarian state house Republicans. But even so, woman should not be subject neither to tyranny of the majority nor the tyranny of an hostile anti-majoritarian minority to access basic fundamental rights to make their own decisions, in their own lives, in regards to pregnancy and their bodily autonomy.

Still, this win is a complicated one. It's tempting to look at the outcome of this election and draw sweeping conclusions about America's appetite for -- or rejection of -- abortion restrictions. The truth is, Americans overwhelmingly did not want to see Roe v. Wade overturned and are generally pro-choice, but when you drill down, people have all kinds of opinions on how, whether and when abortion should be regulated -- whether it should be legal in cases of rape or incest; whether it should be legal if a woman is too poor to support a child; whether it should be legal after the first trimester.

These are all the wrong questions. Fundamental rights -- and it doesn't get more fundamental than sovereignty over one's own body -- should not be up for a vote, even if the righteous side is likely to win.

This is a foundational principle in the United States: That while voters should be able to pick their president and their representatives in Congress and at the state level, and have the power to vote on various state-level laws, our Constitution protects the rights of minority and other historically mistreated groups as well. No one should see their basic rights subject to the tyranny of the majority.

And yet that is the position that women and others who can get pregnant are now in. It's the position that LGBTQ folks are in as well, as they watch their rights head toward the conservative chopping block: A majority of Republicans in the House voted against a bill that protects same-sex and interracial marriage rights. The legislation was passed as a response to fears that the conservative majority on the Supreme Court could take aim at same-sex marriage in the future -- 47 Republicans voted with the Democrats in favor of the bill, while more than 150 voted against. Its fate in the Senate depends on whether 10 Republicans will join with the Democratic majority to support it there.

The right to marry who you love, the right to decide whether and when to have children -- there are few decisions more fundamental to one's life than these. Even though same-sex marriage and abortion rights are broadly supported by the American public, it simply should not be up to that public to decide which groups are granted legal protections and the basic dignity of fair and equal treatment.
    Then, as now, questions of fundamental rights and human dignity should not have been left up to the whims of voters or even state legislators. The Supreme Court said as much in its decisions ending racial segregation, anti-miscegenation laws, bans on abortion and contraception and laws restricting same-sex marriage. Unfortunately, with its more recent decision in Dobbs, the Court didn't just end the right to abortion -- it ended the era of protecting fundamental rights, no matter which way the political winds were blowing.

The same states' rights ideology that conservatives have long used to justify slavery and segregation now shapes women's rights in the United States. Whether you are allowed to end a pregnancy or forced under threat of law to continue it against your will depends on where you live. The vote in Kansas reflects this same view: That the question of whether or not women have basic rights to our own internal organs -- whether, as Irish writer Sally Rooney eloquently put it, women get to decide what happens to our own bodies or whether we are "granted fewer rights than a corpse" -- should hinge on whether you can convince a majority of people in your state to agree.

Democracy is a powerful tool, and frankly the US should have a lot more of it. But democracy without proper safeguards for minority groups and those long mistreated can be profoundly unjust.

That's where American women are today. The Kansas vote is a tremendous relief, and it should curb an overly-aggressive anti-abortion movement. But the fact that a vote happened at all is a sign of our misogynist decline.

Last edited:

It's also the place where pro-life messaging deliberately intended to mislead voters.

TOPEKA — Former U.S. Rep. Tim Huelskamp is behind the false text message about the constitutional amendment that enraged Democrats on Monday, the Washington Post reports.

The newspaper traced the unsolicited text messages to a political tech firm called Alliance Forge and identified Huelskamp’s Do Right PAC as the client behind the campaign.

Huelskamp, a Republican who represented the state in Congress from 2011 to 2017, didn’t immediately respond to a phone call and voice message from Kansas Reflector seeking comment for this story.

State officials said the use of voter registration data to deliberately mislead voters doesn’t violate state law because lying is allowed in election advertisements, and unsolicited text messages about ballot questions don’t require senders to reveal their identities.

Twilio, the company whose services were used to send the message, says its fraud team was investigating and taking “appropriate actions” to stop the spread of misinformation.

Democrats were infuriated by the text message they received Monday, which inaccurately said that “voting YES on the amendment will give women a choice.” A yes vote would actually end the right to terminate a pregnancy in Kansas and give the Legislature the authority to pass a total ban on abortion. A no vote would preserve the status quo, in which abortion is heavily regulated and legal through 22 weeks of gestation.

Can we like sticky this comment to Farb forever? This man believes rigging an election is providing welfare, and aid to your voting base.

Do you find your love, and loyalty more true because you vote against your interest?

This quote is how I imagine Farb feels about Republican party.

Clearly, you have found a pure, and perfect love with the Republican's, Farb.
    Was this suppose to be a reply about the discussion we are having or more lefty dribble about how people feel and emotions. You guys are just too soft to have a discussion with that doesn't boil down to how someone feels or perceives themselves.

I guess your point was to make me look silly for 'loving' the republicans but as per usual, your just mentally challenged on that point because by you attacking me, you are just defending your love of the woke alt-left. It really is kind of pathetic but then again, you believe men can have babies so that by itself is a testament to your commitment to all things alt-left.

so tired of this shirt

The Republican-controlled Senate voted 26-20 after about three hours of debate, passing the bill with the minimum 26 votes needed to send it on to the House, which Republicans also control.

The bill would prohibit abortions from the time a fertilized egg implants in a uterus. Exceptions would be allowed in cases of rape and incest, but a patient seeking an abortion for either reason would have to sign a notarized affidavit attesting to the attack.
    Yeah, I can see how the our constitution republic working as designed will be bad for a political party is used to ruling by emotion and name calling.

You are way further away from rational than I thought. it’s actually sad. You are way too smart to believe this complete bull shirt.
    Yawn, still thinking men can become pregnant? I mean, since we are comparting each others view of rationality.

Oh, you can say I'm 100% wrong on everything in the first paragraph but you can't hide from your posting history. Anyone that has been here for any length of time knows that you are not truthful, have a very demeaning view of women and you have a very warped view of what is and isn't racism. I can't say you're a bigot but if you want to think of yourself as one, have at it.

I've already answered your questions on these. I won't go any further than that. One of the things that I was taught in all those years of religious instructions was to always remember that my relationship with my God and my religion is a personal one. And as such, I care not to discuss it much further than I already have...especially with someone as uneducated on the tenets and teachings of our religion as yourself.
    Sure.

LOL, OK. So in your view, anyone can receive the Eucharist, as long as they are baptized regarless of sin, but I have a feeling you don't really believe in sin (besides racism and bigotry, but no self controlling sin).

Yeah, I can see how the our constitution republic working as designed will be bad for a political party is used to ruling by emotion and name calling.

Lol at Republicans caring about our constitutional republic working. If popular vote referendums where held across the country, similar to the one in Kansas last night, you would see a very similar result. Republicans might get one or two states, but it would be a resounding defeat across the country.

But that would bad for a political party that has ruled with an anti-majoritarian minority, so they will avoid that at all cost given last nights results and instead call woman seeking an abortion sluts and baby murderers.

Last edited:
    Lol at Republicans caring about our constitutional republic working. If popular vote referendums where held across the country, similar to the one in Kansas last night, you would see a very similar result. Republicans might get one or two states, but it would be a resounding defeat across the country.

But that would bad for a political party that has ruled with an anti-majoritarian minority, so I they will avoid that at all cost given last nights results and instead call woman seeking an abortion sluts and baby murderers.
    Well, sometime the actions define a person, right? Like a person that is racist is a racist.

I need to read on what happened in Kansas, I assume a vote about abortion? I will get back to you.

You didn't answer my question. Do we not incarcerate anyone because the of their free will was a gift from God?

I have no problem with sending people to prison when it is warranted. Your turn.

Well, sometime the actions define a person, right? Like a person that is racist is a racist.

Sometimes. But a woman who has an abortion is not a baby murderer. Neither is she a slut just because she gets pregnant. So whatever rationalization you think you were making with that statement fails.

I need to read on what happened in Kansas, I assume a vote about abortion? I will get back to you.

Now you sound like a Republicans politician, lol. Oblivious when convenient.

Yawn, still thinking men can become pregnant? I mean, since we are comparting each others view of rationality.
    You will have no trouble showing where I said that. Correct?

Pure projection, Farb. It’s so obvious and predictable. Your side is the one ruled by emotion - “baby killers” is pure emotional blackmail. It works on you, though. Nobody on the left is trying to make anyone do anything they don’t want to do. Your side is trying to force women to give birth, no matter what.

Preach against abortion. Make it a sin in your church. But don’t blow up medical facilities, don’t shoot doctors in the head while they are attending their church in front of their families, don’t send anthrax to abortion facilities, don’t commit arson, don’t follow women into medical facilities calling them sluts and whores. Women who are sometimes there because a deeply wanted pregnancy has ended by fetal demise, only to endure harassment and name-calling from your side. Your side is the one ruled by emotion here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom