Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

So by your logic, that applies to abortion. The Pope supports laws in countries that allow the murder of an innocent child.
    Granted, my comprehension might be suspect, but your ability to think rationally and not emotionally is on full display.
    Yes, my ability to think rationally IS on display, thanks! And yes, your comprehension is very suspect. The pope doesn’t believe that religious beliefs should be codified into law. You keep twisting it around.

There are no children murdered by abortions, Farb. Quit lying.

I would maybe be for that but I think that would be sloppy much like dry counties but you and I are on the right path.
    Or here‘s a thought, let’s take it a bit further and let every individual decide for themselves. That would be the ultimate in small government wouldn’t it?

I think everyone should be free to exercise the god given will of life. You don't. You think a selfish person should be free to kill an innocent life because they could not be responsible enough to not get pregnant, you know, that exercising that free will that you love so much to not have sex or use birth control.
    This is incoherent. Really.

Neither did the vaccines that you all wanted forced on those that did not want it.
    This is a lie. There are millions of people alive today because of those vaccines. Quit lying.

About the same thing as you hating minorities and practicing the teaching of your religion.

Are you really sure your catholic? I don't believe you.
    Everything about you and the things you post scream that you have a disdain for women. Hell, just your stance on abortion demonstrates your inability to see women as your equal. It's not a coincidence that you mention hating minorities as I'm sure that there's some ill-will from you toward minorities. Whereas, there is nothing in my posting history that paints me as hating minorities, seeing as how I am a minority. Maybe you can't see women as your equal because you feel inferior to them and that makes you angry.

As to being Catholic, I was baptized at All Saints, had my first communion and confirmation at St. Joseph the Worker and am a proud graduate of St. Augustine High School. I'm as Catholic as they come. I'm just not a blind follower. I use the grace that we were all born with called free will. I work toward following ALL the tenets of my religion, not just the convenient ones. But you do you.

I think everyone should be free to exercise the god given will of life. You don't. You think a selfish person should be free to kill an innocent life because they could not be responsible enough to not get pregnant, you know, that exercising that free will that you love so much to not have sex or use birth control.
    You don’t get to take away a person‘s god-given free will because you don’t like how they live their life. IIRC, God has spoken about this numerous times, to not judge other people. It’s not our place.

It’s a completely reasonable position to take that the woman’s life should be paramount and her decisions should be her own until the embryo/fetus is able to survive without taking away from her body. Until that point we don’t really have a life that is capable of living.

Your position is based on emotional appeals that you have evidently swallowed hook, line, and sinker. The darker side is that these appeals are made in order to control women, to deny them the ability to make their own decisions. It’s an evil argument.

Miranda Dockett felt certain she was about to lose another friend.
After all, she had been watching them fall away over the past few months, as she became more vocal about her views against abortion.

Then, in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade last month, Dockett, 31, readied herself for a worrisome confrontation with her childhood best friend.

The exchange lasted hours, she said, as the pair traded messages and news articles on Facebook days after the ruling. Dockett, a stay-at-home mom in Lansing, Mich., wanted her friend to understand that she believes life begins at conception and should be protected.

Meanwhile her friend, who declined to be interviewed for this story, argued that abortion bans infringe on women’s right to health care and bodily autonomy.

“I suspect this will be the end of our friendship,” Dockett wrote in a Twitter thread recapping the conversation. “Heartbroken BUT it took me forever to find my voice & I will not be silenced even if that means losing every friend I have/had.”

Dockett’s story echoes a similar cry across social media as the post-Roe era continues to takes shape. With “trigger bans” now in effect in 13 states and organizers mobilizing on both sides of the abortion debate, friends are inevitably wading into the conversation — and some are learning that they don’t see eye to eye on the issue…….

In states that have enacted abortion bans, the American Psychological Association notes that some people might feel more compelled to disclose an unplanned pregnancy to loved ones to solicit help in securing access to an abortion. But such legislation could also inhibit these discussions.

“The people who are now in this crossroad and don’t know where to turn to in terms of care are feeling a lot of fear around who can they talk to,” said reproductive psychologist Julie Bindeman, citing Texas’s ban, which empowers private citizens to bring suit against providers or anyone who “aids or abets” an abortion.

“So it doesn’t create spaces where talking to people about abortion care or health care choices feel safe.”

For a long time, Rachel Stevens had hoped her best friend would reconsider her stance against abortion. Eight years ago, when Stevens sought to terminate a pregnancy, her friend said she would never speak to her again.

That threat didn’t hold up, said Stevens, now 35. But something shifted in their friendship for good after the Supreme Court ruling.

“With Roe being overturned, I tried to speak with her about it as she has three young daughters herself, and this will most definitely impact their future,” said Stevens, a server in Nashville. “And I think it’s something that she should be concerned about and aware of.”

But her attempts to talk about the issue fell on deaf ears, she said: Her friend showed little interest in engaging in the conversation. “It really sealed the deal in walking away from that friendship once and for all,” Stevens said.

When it comes to fraught topics like abortion, it’s not just opposing views that can drive a wedge between friendships……

The Supreme Court’s three liberal justices, in denouncing their colleagues’ decision to eliminate the nationwide right to abortion, warned last month that returning this polarizing issue to the states would give rise to greater controversy in the months and years to come.

Among the looming disputes, they noted: Can states ban mail-order medication used to terminate pregnancies or bar their residents from traveling elsewhere to do so?

“Far from removing the court from the abortion issue,” Justices Stephen G. Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan wrote in dissent, “the majority puts the court at the center of the coming ‘interjurisdictional abortion wars.’ ”

The overturning of Roe v. Wade after nearly 50 years is expected to trigger a new set of legal challenges for which there is little precedent, observers say, further roiling the nation’s bitter political landscape and compounding chaos as Republican-led states move quickly to curtail access to reproductive care.

It is possible, if not probable, that one or both of these questions will eventually work its way back to the high court.
“

Judges and scholars, and most recently the Supreme Court, have long claimed that abortion law will become simpler if Roe is overturned,” law professors David S. Cohen, Greer Donley and Rachel Rebouché wrote in a timely draft academic article cited by the dissenting justices, “but that is woefully naive.”

As a result of the ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, abortions — both the surgical procedure and via medication — are banned or mostly banned in 13 states. Several others are expected to follow in coming weeks.

The Biden administration has pledged to ensure access to abortion medication, which is used in more than half of all terminated pregnancies in the United States, and prohibit states from preventing their residents from traveling out-of-state for care.

But a month after the Dobbs ruling, administration officials are still debating how they can deliver on that promise beyond the president’s executive order to protect access. A White House meeting Friday with public-interest lawyers was designed to encourage legal representation for those seeking or offering reproductive health services.

Democratic leaders and liberal activists have called on President Biden to take bolder action, especially on medication abortion. Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) said in an interview that he has directly urged the president to make clear that abortion providers in states controlled by Democrats should be able to ship pills to patients anywhere in the country, whether or not the patient’s state has enacted a ban.

Pritzker advised the president to assert federal authority over the U.S. mail system, he said, and specify that no one will be prosecuted for prescribing or receiving them.

“People ought to be able to receive their medication in the privacy of their own home even if they live in a state where the procedure is not allowed,” Pritzker added, saying Biden appeared “very receptive” to the idea…….

So, you think responsibility is tied to freedom? i.e. we should only be free to act, so long as it's responsibly?

So, you think responsibility is tied to freedom? i.e. we should only be free to act, so long as it's responsibly?
    As long as it’s his version of responsibility, actually. I think a reasonable person could make a case that some abortions are the responsible act in certain situations. Anti-abortion people want to be the judge of everyone else’s behavior, they want to control other people’s behavior. It’s against the way I was taught Christianity.

When the Rev. Laurie Hafner ministers to her Florida congregants about abortion, she looks to the founding values of the United Church of Christ, her lifelong denomination: religious freedom and freedom of thought.

She taps into her reading of Genesis, which says “man became a living being” when God breathed “the breath of life” into Adam. She thinks of Jesus promising believers full and abundant life.

“I am pro-choice not in spite of my faith, but because of my faith,” Hafner says.
She is among seven Florida clergy members — two Christians, three Jews, one Unitarian Universalist and a Buddhist — who argue in separate lawsuits filed Monday that their ability to live and practice their religious faith is being violated by the state’s new, post-Roe abortion law.

The law, which is one of the strictest in the country, making no exceptions for rape or incest, was signed in April by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), in a Pentecostal church alongside antiabortion lawmakers such as the House speaker, who called life “a gift from God.”

The lawsuits are at the vanguard of a novel legal strategy arguing that new post-Roe abortion restrictions violate Americans’ religious freedom, including that of clerics who advise pregnant people.

The cases are part of an effort among a broad swath of religious Americans who support abortion access to rewrite the dominant modern cultural narrative that says the only “religious” view on abortion is to oppose it.

“I think the religious right has had the resources and the voices politically and socially to be so loud, and frankly, they don’t represent the Christian faith,” Hafner told The Washington Post. “Those of us on the other side, with maybe a more inclusive voice, need to be strong and more faithful and say: ‘There is another very important voice.’…..

Voters in Kansas are the first in the US after the collapse of Roe v Wadeto decide whether to protect the right to abortion care, a high-stakes test that could have a major impact on abortion access in the heart of the country.

The outcome of the election on 2 August will determine whether the state’s constitution explicitly denies the right to abortion access in Kansas. Anti-abortion state lawmakers are likely to pass severe restrictions on abortion care if the amendment passes.

One poll from co/efficient shows the election is likely to be close, with 47 per cent of primary voters saying they will support the amendment, 43 per cent of voters saying they plan to vote against it and 10 per cent undecided. Kansans are also evenly split on whether abortion should be legal, according to polling from the Pew Research Center.

“The work we’ve been doing – getting out there and canvassing, campaigning, doing voter outreach – has really confirmed for us ... that the majority of Kansans do agree that we should have legal access to abortion care,” said Zachary Gingrich-Gaylord, communications director for Trust Women, which operates a clinic in Wichita, in interview with The Independent……

Georgia residents can now claim embryos as dependents on their state taxes, the state's revenue department announced Monday.

"In light of the June 24, 2022, U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization and the July 20, 2022, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in Sistersong v. Kemp, the Department will recognize any unborn child with a detectable human heartbeat ... as eligible for the Georgia individual income tax dependent exemption," the department said in a statement.

The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last month that "Georgia’s prohibition on abortions after detectable human heartbeat is rational."

The state's Living Infants and Fairness Equality (LIFE) Act "defines a 'natural person' as 'any human being including an un-born child,'" the court ruled.

A taxpayer who "has an unborn child (or children) with a detectable human heartbeat" after July 20, when the ruling came down, can claim a dependent on their 2022 taxes, according to the statement.

Residents will get $3,000 for each unborn child...........

Georgia residents can now claim embryos as dependents on their state taxes, the state's revenue department announced Monday.

"In light of the June 24, 2022, U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization and the July 20, 2022, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in Sistersong v. Kemp, the Department will recognize any unborn child with a detectable human heartbeat ... as eligible for the Georgia individual income tax dependent exemption," the department said in a statement.

The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last month that "Georgia’s prohibition on abortions after detectable human heartbeat is rational."

The state's Living Infants and Fairness Equality (LIFE) Act "defines a 'natural person' as 'any human being including an un-born child,'" the court ruled.

A taxpayer who "has an unborn child (or children) with a detectable human heartbeat" after July 20, when the ruling came down, can claim a dependent on their 2022 taxes, according to the statement.

Residents will get $3,000 for each unborn child...........

That will be ripe for abuse. Imagine the number of "families/woman" that will claim to be pregnant for taxes and then have miscarriage's after filing their taxes. How exactly are they going to keep track of that considering unborn fetus don't have social security numbers. A whole fraud industry was just created in Georgia.

That will be ripe for abuse. Imagine the number of "families/woman" that will claim to be pregnant for taxes and then have miscarriage's after filing their taxes. How exactly are they going to keep track of that considering unborn fetus don't have social security numbers.
    Exactly - it’s a very stupid decision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom