Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

Fair point, but I disagree to an extent. I think we are called to be active, not just say our stance and walk away and let God sort it out. We are called to be a difference and to be different and the guide stone is the 10 commandments, There is pretty significant one with the 'thou shall not kill'. If a society spends my taxes on subsiding abortion, what is the plan then, to just shrug and allow my personal resources to aid in that?

On a somewhat different note, what is your view with Pelosi and Biden receiving communion?

Once the tax money is in the coffers of the government, it's no longer your personal resource. If you buy a Whopper and fries from your local Burger King, the cash you handed over ceases to be yours. It's the same concept.

The vote last week was a symbolic virtue signal. Same with interracial marriages. No one is coming after those things, just another left conspiracy theory. What was actually up to vote was if the federal government has the right to define marriage across all 50 states. It should not. Same sex marriage is not going anywhere and it should not.

I disagree, I think the public sentiment has changed over the last 10 years or so. No one cares but not everyone wants it shoved in their face all the time and called names if they prefer not to wear a particular virtue signaling jersey or show the proper allegiance to the new woke tenant.
    Ted Cruz publicly says he wants same sex marriage outlawed. He’s not the only one.

No one is coming after those things, just another left conspiracy theory.
    Same sex marriage is not going anywhere and it should not.
    The official GOP platform literally identifies Obergefell and Roe by name as cases that should be reversed, then in Justice Thomas' opinion overturning Roe, he literally suggested that Obergefell should be next. Then Republicans refused to codify it.

I disagree, I think the public sentiment has changed over the last 10 years or so. No one cares but not everyone wants it shoved in their face all the time and called names
    "We'll let Dems have gay marriage, though it isn't our favorite thing, as long as y'all are kinda quiet about it... but we'll take it away and blame Dems if y'all don't act right."

What was actually up to vote was if the federal government has the right to define marriage across all 50 states. It should not.

What, specifically, would the Respect for Marriage Act preclude a state from doing that you think a state should be allowed to do? Define marriage in a way that precludes same-sex marriage from being legally recognized?

On a somewhat different note, what is your view with Pelosi and Biden receiving communion?
    It's dumb from the simple standpoint that there are exactly zero members of the Catholic church in full communion with it. The decision to allow someone to receive Communion is not based on scripture, but doctrine, meaning it's man-made and subject to the decision of one, be it the local priest, bishop, cardinal, etc. Once a member of the clergy becomes political, which is clearly the case here, any use of doctrine becomes tainted.

Ted Cruz publicly says he wants same sex marriage outlawed. He’s not the only one.
    Right... feels kind of silly arguing about whether the "states rights" thing is disingenuous or not, while conservatives are busy saying out loud that they morally oppose same-sex marriage, writing legal opinions opposing same-sex marriage protections, voting down same-sex marriage laws, and saying things like "we don't have a problem with it unless you're too loud about it."

The relevance of this to the abortion discussion is just that it's a non-starter for me when conservatives insist as a premise, as they always do, on establishing that liberals are extreme on abortion and same-sex marriage, when every existing shred of evidence shows that it is the conservatives who are extreme and/or aligned with the most regressive governments in the world. Conservatives hate to be confronted about how extreme the GOP is, but it's just a fact.

Once the tax money is in the coffers of the government, it's no longer your personal resource. If you buy a Whopper and fries from your local Burger King, the cash you handed over ceases to be yours. It's the same concept.
    Except I don't vote for the managers and Supervisors of the Burger King, so they don't owe me an explanation of where my money I gave them went. A government that is beholden to the citizens is far different from a bugler joint.
    When did the left become such a huge fan of big government.

It's dumb from the simple standpoint that there are exactly zero members of the Catholic church in full communion with it. The decision to allow someone to receive Communion is not based on scripture, but doctrine, meaning it's man-made and subject to the decision of one, be it the local priest, bishop, cardinal, etc. Once a member of the clergy becomes political, which is clearly the case here, any use of doctrine becomes tainted.
    So in your opinion, there is no requirement to receive communion since all of requirements and grace is 'man' made. Correct?

Right... feels kind of silly arguing about whether the "states rights" thing is disingenuous or not, while conservatives are busy saying out loud that they morally oppose same-sex marriage, writing legal opinions opposing same-sex marriage protections, voting down same-sex marriage laws, and saying things like "we don't have a problem with it unless you're too loud about it."

The relevance of this to the abortion discussion is just that it's a non-starter for me when conservatives insist as a premise, as they always do, on establishing that liberals are extreme on abortion and same-sex marriage, when every existing shred of evidence shows that it is the conservatives who are extreme and/or aligned with the most regressive governments in the world. Conservatives hate to be confronted about how extreme the GOP is, but it's just a fact.
    I don't mind being told the GOP is extreme. I think it is laughable how one can ignore the extreme of the left. But I also think the right is not extreme enough on a lot of issues. I am happy they are starting to play by the lefts rules and winning.

The official GOP platform literally identifies Obergefell and Roe by name as cases that should be reversed, then in Justice Thomas' opinion overturning Roe, he literally suggested that Obergefell should be next. Then Republicans refused to codify it.

"We'll let Dems have gay marriage, though it isn't our favorite thing, as long as y'all are kinda quiet about it... but we'll take it away and blame Dems if y'all don't act right."

What, specifically, would the Respect for Marriage Act preclude a state from doing that you think a state should be allowed to do? Define marriage in a way that precludes same-sex marriage from being legally recognized?
    Why did Thomas state that, also no other judges joined? Because the faulty legal logic of Roe (privacy) is also the what those other cases were decided on, if I am not mistaken. So, logically, if Roe is overturned because the grounds of privacy does not allow for an abortion, should the right to privacy also apply to marriage? He thinks no. All other justices obviously disagreed. I understand you guys need to salvage some votes for the mid-terms but this chicken little act is getting tiresome. Expected but tiresome.
    The civil union of gay marriage isn't going anywhere

Except I don't vote for the managers and Supervisors of the Burger King, so they don't owe me an explanation of where my money I gave them went. A government that is beholden to the citizens is far different from a bugler joint.
    When did the left become such a huge fan of big government.

You didn't say anything about the government owing you an explanation. You said:

Fair point, but I disagree to an extent. I think we are called to be active, not just say our stance and walk away and let God sort it out. We are called to be a difference and to be different and the guide stone is the 10 commandments, There is pretty significant one with the 'thou shall not kill'. If a society spends my taxes on subsiding abortion, what is the plan then, to just shrug and allow my personal resources to aid in that?

You were speaking about what you should and should not allow to happen. Once the money is paid to someone else, it is not yours and you don't have a say as to what happens at that point. If you don't like how it is spent, you can stop going to Burker King just as you can work to elect politicians that you deem better at spending tax revenue.

I think we are called to be active, not just say our stance and walk away and let God sort it out. We are called to be a difference and to be different and the guide stone is the 10 commandments, There is pretty significant one with the 'thou shall not kill'. If a society spends my taxes on subsiding abortion, what is the plan then, to just shrug and allow my personal resources to aid in that?
    I can't remember if you are Jewish or Christian because if I recall correctly, that Guy whose teachings you folks don't follow at all said that "He had not come to overturn God's laws but to make sure that they are upheld" He then proceeded to give a set of new guide stones for his followers to live by...namely the 8 beatitudes. I don't really expect you to know them as you're pretty content violating most of them on a daily basis. Then again, you're pretty skilled at violating the commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness" in every conversation you have here.

Also, those tax dollars of yours that you are concerned about being used to kill, yeah, well every missile, bullet or rocket that our military uses daily were paid for in part with YOUR tax dollars. So you don't have a problem with our government using your tax dollars to kill. You have a problem with our government using your tax dollars to help save the lives of women. It's such a misogynistic attitude you have toward women. Where does that come from?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom