Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Brennan77

Reaction score
    Some surprisingly good news from the deep red state of South Carolina where I am raising two girls now in elementary school - the total abortion ban bill is officially dead.

A new bill will no doubt be on the next session agenda but belief is that it will have to be softer. Too many state reps voiced concern that these reactionary total bans interfere with women's health and prohibit the exercise of medical judgment.

From Maude actress Adrienne Barbeau
    =====================
    ‘God’ll get you for that, Walter.”

Fifty years ago, Norman Lear’s hit series Maudepremiered on CBS, and women all over America started repeating Bea Arthur’s catchphrase.

That first season, a two-part episode called Maude’s Dilemma aired and was hailed by the Chicago Tribune as a watershed moment that “brought the battle over choice into the primetime arena”.

Maude, at the age of 47, was pregnant. Her daughter Carol lovingly told her: “When you were growing up, it was illegal, it was dangerous and it was sinister. Abortion was a dirty word; it’s not any more. It’s legal now – we’re free. We finally have the right to decide what we can do with our own bodies.”

I played Maude’s daughter and I said those words.

Seven years earlier, while I was living in New York, a friend of mine got pregnant. Alone, new to New York, no steady income, she turned to me for support. I was dancing in a club in New Jersey. My boss had confided in me that he’d arranged for an abortion for his girlfriend and if I ever needed help.

Well, I didn’t, but my friend did. She travelled out to the club with me, gave my boss $400 and went off to a hotel room with a total stranger. Who knew if he was even a doctor? When he brought her back, he told us she couldn’t have any aspirin, no alcohol, and that she would miscarry 24 hours later.

An hour later, she began haemorrhaging. Screaming in pain. My boss drove us home, with blood soaking through her clothes. She got to my apartment and miscarried into my toilet.

I have forgotten so many images from my life, but the memory of what she went through is still as vivid as when it happened 57 years ago. That experience coloured the rest of my life.

When I moved to Los Angeles to do Maude, I spent my first hiatus volunteering at a women’s health care clinic: offering contraceptive counselling, pregnancy counselling, and first trimester menstrual extractions to women ranging from pre-teen to middle age.

When Norman Lear handed us the scripts, I cheered. It wasn’t about pro-choice or pro-life. It was about a woman’s right to control her own destiny; to control her own body; to make her own choices. Roe v Wade had passed and no one could invade our privacy. No one could tell us what to do. No one could make a decision for us.

That’s the way we’ve lived our lives for 50 years. Millennials and gen Zs have never had the government putting their lives in jeopardy, never been told they can’t use birth control, never run the risk of going to jail for a decision only they should be able to make, never experienced being second-class citizens under the control of old white men…….

6E5BBEBB-55FA-44CA-9920-9672344CC35E.jpeg

guess this can go here
    ==================
    Mason Herring’s pregnant wife noticed the water that her husband had given her was cloudy only after she’d drunk it, court documents state.

When she asked about it, Herring allegedly told her the cup or the pipes inside the Houston home were probably dirty before taking the drink and hurrying away.

The woman’s cramping started about a half-hour later on March 17, according to an affidavit. Severe bleeding followed, forcing her to go to an emergency room.

“She stated that she then began to suspect that something had been placed in her drink and that perhaps it was some kind of abortion drug,” the affidavit states.

Earlier this month, a grand jury in Harris County indicted Herring, 38, with assaulting a pregnant woman — his wife and the mother of their two children. Herring is a Houston-based personal injury attorney who first got his Texas law license in 2011.

It’s unclear how far along Herring’s wife was with her third baby when she went to a hospital in March. The incident occurred about six months after Texas’s Heartbeat Act took effect.

One of the most restrictive bans in the country, the law essentially blocks all abortions after the six-week mark by empowering citizens to sue anyone who helps a person get one after that point, whether it’s the doctor doing the procedure or the driver providing transportation to the clinic.

Herring’s lawyers, Dan Cogdell and Nicholas Norris, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Sunday. In a statement to KTRK, Cogdell said they “very much look forward to our day in court and are thoroughly convinced that we will prevail in a Court of law when our time comes to defend these allegations.”.............

guess this can go here
    ==================
    Mason Herring’s pregnant wife noticed the water that her husband had given her was cloudy only after she’d drunk it, court documents state.

When she asked about it, Herring allegedly told her the cup or the pipes inside the Houston home were probably dirty before taking the drink and hurrying away.

The woman’s cramping started about a half-hour later on March 17, according to an affidavit. Severe bleeding followed, forcing her to go to an emergency room.

“She stated that she then began to suspect that something had been placed in her drink and that perhaps it was some kind of abortion drug,” the affidavit states.

Earlier this month, a grand jury in Harris County indicted Herring, 38, with assaulting a pregnant woman — his wife and the mother of their two children. Herring is a Houston-based personal injury attorney who first got his Texas law license in 2011.

It’s unclear how far along Herring’s wife was with her third baby when she went to a hospital in March. The incident occurred about six months after Texas’s Heartbeat Act took effect.

One of the most restrictive bans in the country, the law essentially blocks all abortions after the six-week mark by empowering citizens to sue anyone who helps a person get one after that point, whether it’s the doctor doing the procedure or the driver providing transportation to the clinic.

Herring’s lawyers, Dan Cogdell and Nicholas Norris, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Sunday. In a statement to KTRK, Cogdell said they “very much look forward to our day in court and are thoroughly convinced that we will prevail in a Court of law when our time comes to defend these allegations.”.............

Just watch, the husband's attorneys will counter that she gave herself an abortifacient and is blaming their client in order to escape prosecution.

So you support the same lack of restrictions for voting, then? No need to show a state-issued ID or fill out any burdensome paperwork. Everyone should be able to waltz into a polling place and vote without restrictions.
    Do you consider showing proof of who you are to be overly restrictive?
    Can you also show me where in the constitution or BOR that lays out what a citizens right to vote entails?

Do you consider showing proof of who you are to be overly restrictive?

I'm just working with the scenario you went with. Why is showing a proper photo ID and filling out any sort of paperwork a restriction of the right to bear arms, but the same is not a restriction of the right to vote?

Can you also show me where in the constitution or BOR that lays out what a citizens right to vote entails?

The 14th amendment says "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States" and it guarantees equal treatment under the law and spells out punishment for any state that denies "to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime," which is, of course, changed by later amendments to include women and lower the age to 18.

This issue isn’t going away. It’s only the beginning.

“In states where abortion bans have exceptions if the life of the mother is deemed at risk, physicians may still feel like their hands are tied. "I never imagined colleagues would find themselves tracking down hospital attorneys before performing urgent abortions, when minutes count ... asking if a 30% chance of maternal death, or impending renal failure, meet the criteria for the state's exemptions ... or whether they must wait a while longer, until their pregnant patient gets even sicker," Resneck said.

And "drivers of disinformation ... are falsely claiming that we have exaggerated or even fabricated stories about the real consequences of those laws," he noted.

Resneck reported that the AMA has filed amicus briefs in about a dozen state and federal courts, and spoken with the Biden administration plus Congress, to advocate to protect patients and physicians in a post-Dobbs world.

"But I can't sugarcoat just how dangerous it is for physicians to know that governors, legislators, state attorneys general and law enforcement are all perched right on their shoulders in exam rooms, waiting to judge decisions we make in partnership with our patients," he said.”

I'm just working with the scenario you went with. Why is showing a proper photo ID and filling out any sort of paperwork a restriction of the right to bear arms, but the same is not a restriction of the right to vote?

The 14th amendment says "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States" and it guarantees equal treatment under the law and spells out punishment for any state that denies "to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime," which is, of course, changed by later amendments to include women and lower the age to 18.
    So we are both onboard with presenting IDs to vote and buy a firearm. Question though, at what point does the state determine what elections you can vote in like they have determined what type of 'arms' I can buy?

This issue isn’t going away. It’s only the beginning.

“In states where abortion bans have exceptions if the life of the mother is deemed at risk, physicians may still feel like their hands are tied. "I never imagined colleagues would find themselves tracking down hospital attorneys before performing urgent abortions, when minutes count ... asking if a 30% chance of maternal death, or impending renal failure, meet the criteria for the state's exemptions ... or whether they must wait a while longer, until their pregnant patient gets even sicker," Resneck said.

And "drivers of disinformation ... are falsely claiming that we have exaggerated or even fabricated stories about the real consequences of those laws," he noted.

Resneck reported that the AMA has filed amicus briefs in about a dozen state and federal courts, and spoken with the Biden administration plus Congress, to advocate to protect patients and physicians in a post-Dobbs world.

"But I can't sugarcoat just how dangerous it is for physicians to know that governors, legislators, state attorneys general and law enforcement are all perched right on their shoulders in exam rooms, waiting to judge decisions we make in partnership with our patients," he said.”

https://www.ama-assn.org/press-cent...-interfering-health-care-transgender-children

They are worried about divisive politics in medicine? Are we sure we believe them? I don't.

So we are both onboard with presenting IDs to vote and buy a firearm. Question though, at what point does the state determine what elections you can vote in like they have determined what type of 'arms' I can buy?

The state already does that based on where you live.

But while we're making equivalencies, you should therefore be okay with having to register all of your firearms like you have to register to vote (or register a car). Including providing you home address and with verifying information and having to renew your registration periodically.

Coldseat already addressed this, but I'll elaborate. You have the right to vote for both senators that represent Alabama in the United States Senate. You don't have the right to vote for all seven representatives from this state in the United States House of Representatives. Those votes are restricted to certain districts.

Do you agree with this set-up or should you be allowed to vote for a House rep in all seven districts?

So you support the same lack of restrictions for voting, then? No need to show a state-issued ID or fill out any burdensome paperwork. Everyone should be able to waltz into a polling place and vote without restrictions.
    in the state of La, (can't vouch for other states), but an ID is not required. there are steps to verify who you are. I work the polls every election, requring an ID is a false narrative. If you can verify certain information that is in the register book, then fill out an sworn affidavit, then you can vote.

The state already does that based on where you live.

But while we're making equivalencies, you should therefore be okay with having to register all of your firearms like you have to register to vote (or register a car). Including providing you home address and with verifying information and having to renew your registration periodically.
    Would that not be an infrindment?

Do you think me showing ID to buy a gun is oppression?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom