Right wing nuts thread (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Actually, the cancer has been in the party long before Reagan. From my perspective, the cancer has always been there and it went into remission during the Civil Rights fight but those cancer cells continue to spread. Ever since the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the Republican Party has been on a single mission to turn back any progress we have made since then and thwart any forward movement.
    I have to point out that it was not the Republican Party at the time but rather “conservatives” who opposed the Civil Rights Act. That included conservatives like Barry Goldwater and Southern Democrats. The Southern Democrats left the Democratic Party for the Republican Party due to Nixon and the Southern Strategy and strategists like Lee Atwater for Reagan. Reagan, in his own way, was like Trump in that his moral compass was broken beyond being a frenzied anti-communist. Of course, imo, he was showing dementia even during his first term. Beyond the USSR Reagan was utterly tone-deaf.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A judge has expunged the misdemeanor convictions of a St. Louis couple who waved guns at racial injustice protesters outside their mansion in 2020. Now they want their guns back.

Attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey filed a request in January to have the convictions wiped away. Judge Joseph P. Whyte wrote in an order Wednesday that the purpose of an expungement is to give people who have rehabilitated themselves a second chance, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. City prosecutors and police opposed the expungements.

Immediately after the judge's ruling, Mark McCloskey demanded that the city return the two guns seized as part of his 2021 guilty plea to misdemeanor assault. Republican Gov. Mike Parson pardoned the couple weeks after the plea.

“It’s time for the city to cough up my guns,” he told the Post-Dispatch.

If it doesn’t, he said, he’ll file a lawsuit.

The McCloskeys said they felt threatened by the protesters, who were passing their home in June 2020 on their way to demonstrate in front of the mayor’s house nearby. It was one of hundreds of demonstrations around the country after the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The couple also said the group was trespassing on a private street..........

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A judge has expunged the misdemeanor convictions of a St. Louis couple who waved guns at racial injustice protesters outside their mansion in 2020. Now they want their guns back.

Attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey filed a request in January to have the convictions wiped away. Judge Joseph P. Whyte wrote in an order Wednesday that the purpose of an expungement is to give people who have rehabilitated themselves a second chance, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. City prosecutors and police opposed the expungements.

Immediately after the judge's ruling, Mark McCloskey demanded that the city return the two guns seized as part of his 2021 guilty plea to misdemeanor assault. Republican Gov. Mike Parson pardoned the couple weeks after the plea.

“It’s time for the city to cough up my guns,” he told the Post-Dispatch.

If it doesn’t, he said, he’ll file a lawsuit.

The McCloskeys said they felt threatened by the protesters, who were passing their home in June 2020 on their way to demonstrate in front of the mayor’s house nearby. It was one of hundreds of demonstrations around the country after the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The couple also said the group was trespassing on a private street..........

I'll just say, I don't agree with what they did, and I don't understand why their convictions were expunged, but...if their conviction was expunged, I don't see legally how the city can keep their guns.

I'll just say, I don't agree with what they did, and I don't understand why their convictions were expunged, but...if their conviction was expunged, I don't see legally how the city can keep their guns.

They were pardoned and their records expunged because Republican governors and judges are now pardoning and releasing felons and criminals to build up right wing cred. It's all a game to them.

They were pardoned and their records expunged because Republican governors and judges are now pardoning and releasing felons and criminals to build up right wing cred. It's all a game to them.
    Not only that, they are empowering future offenders to take action against the "others" without fear of prosecution! The only crime that Republicans are concerned about deterring is "urban" crime.

What was that phrase? Oh, yeah, two tiered justice system. Had that been a Black couple with guns while the Proud Boys marched by you can bet your azz the results would have been different.
    Probably 4 tiers...rich/white, rich/black, poor/ white, poor/black. Everyone else probably can fit somewhat in one of those 4.

I'm not so sure that's true. What did happen was when Trump unexpectedly won the party's nomination in 2016, the RNC didn't have a clue as to what to do with him. Eventually he and his sycophants wrested control of the party from the more centrist Republicans who didn't care for Trump's politics. Trump basically took the Baton from them. It certainly wasn't given willingly. So I don't think they made it happen. But they didn't fight hard enough to prevent t it either though. So yes, some criticism is warranted. Whether fighting harder would have made a difference, I don't know.
    While "given willingly" may not be true, it wasn't exactly wrested away with great struggle.
    More like taking candy from a baby.

I will just leave my last bit on this. There are a lot of, granted, certainly not enough, Republicans who despise Trump and MAGA. Unfortunately it's not a majority of them, and more than a few have ended up leaving the party, so that impacts the balance as well. Until moderates wrest back control of the Party, this is what we'll get until change happens.
    But that's the thing. Moderates will NEVER take back control because by definition moderates won't go all-in to achieve it.
    They will whine and whimper and in the end lick whatever boot is put before them.

But that's the thing. Moderates will NEVER take back control because by definition moderates won't go all-in to achieve it.
    They will whine and whimper and in the end lick whatever boot is put before them.
    Exactly, because for them to go "all in", they would have to admit to themselves their complicity for the extremist takeover of the party. They've been playing footsie with all those fringe elements within their electorate for so long, they created the perfect environment for their takeover.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom