Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    Thought I would start a dedicated topic about her.
    If anyone comes across info pertaining to her, feel free to post it here

Last edited:
    She flips and flops all the time. Hard to take her seriously about anything.
    I guess she just can't find the right way to draw any attention to herself at this point. She knows that she will lose to Trump but she's desperately trying to do something.

I guess she just can't find the right way to draw any attention to herself at this point. She knows that she will lose to Trump but she's desperately trying to do something.
    Yes, and I support her staying in the race as long as possible. We already saw Trump have a mini-meltdown last night because she wouldn’t drop out like he wants her to. She absolutely should keep it up.

An unknown person called 911 and “claimed to have shot his girlfriend and threatened to harm himself while at the residence of Nikki Haley," Craig Harris, Kiawah Island director of public safety, told town officials on Dec. 30, according to an email Reuters obtained in a records request for threats to Haley’s home. "It was determined to be a hoax ... Nikki Haley is not on the island and her son is with her."

An unknown person called 911 and “claimed to have shot his girlfriend and threatened to harm himself while at the residence of Nikki Haley," Craig Harris, Kiawah Island director of public safety, told town officials on Dec. 30, according to an email Reuters obtained in a records request for threats to Haley’s home. "It was determined to be a hoax ... Nikki Haley is not on the island and her son is with her."
    MAGA is just the best people, right? 🙄🙄🙄

I’m sorry - this is disqualifying IMO.

If Texas voters can vote to secede from the United States, can voters in the rest of the country vote to have Texas expelled from the United States? Asking for a little over 100 million friends.

The US would of course grant asylum to anyone seeking refuge from the newly formed nation of Texas.

It is a mark of just how low are the expectations one brings to the Republican primary race that Nikki Haley, the last woman standing against Donald Trump, appears impressive as a candidate solely by virtue of not being a lunatic.

It reminds me of the lyrics to I’m Still Here, that Stephen Sondheim standard from Follies listing all the terrible things – the Depression, J Edgar and Herbert Hoover, religion and pills – the singer has come through unscathed, only in this case it’s Chris Christie and Ron DeSantis. That leaves Haley, the 52-year-old former governor of South Carolina and one-time US ambassador to the UN, as the only thing standing between us and a Biden/Trump runoff.

The odds of a Haley victory over Trump appear vanishingly small after the former president’s early primary wins in Iowa and New Hampshire. Polling numbers support this, as does the unseemly pivot of Trump’s former rivals, most recently DeSantis, to lining up behind him two seconds after he has mocked and belittled them (“Ron DeSanctimonious”).

The striking thing about Haley over the last few weeks is how effective she has been in getting under Trump’s skin. This, as we know, is a notoriously hard thing to do if one is invested in maintaining one’s dignity. Michelle Obama’s old adage – “when they go low, we go high” – doesn’t work with Trump, who keeps going lower and lower until the moral high ground is a point of light in the sky so distant it might as well be an alien life form.

Haley, unlike her male rivals, has adopted a very particular tone towards the former president that feels connected to her relative youth and also her gender. Historically, women have had a harder time than men of bearing up under Trump’s mockery, given its leering subtext of “I wouldn’t touch her with yours”.

Haley, it strikes me, has studied Margaret Thatcher very closely and in fact, along with Hillary Clinton (and former congresswoman Gabby Giffords, and, funnily enough, Joan Jett) cites her as a personal hero.

In her public interactions with Trump, she adopts a mode of condescension reminiscent of Thatcher addressing her enemies in the Commons, an arch response, steeped in sarcasm, to the argument that women in politics lack a tone of command.

When Trump, recently tweeted: “The people of South Carolina are embarrassed by Nikki Haley!” she replied, simply, “Bless your heart”…………

Haley is going to get asked about racism a lot from here on out. She’ll need some better answers than she’s been giving so far
    ==================
    COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Four years after South Carolina removed the Confederate battle flag from its Statehouse grounds, Nikki Haley offered two separate explanations of the flag’s meaning in less than a week.

Haley, the state’s governor when the flag was pulled in 2015 from its place of honor in Columbia, said in a 2019 interview with conservative radio host Glenn Beck that the man who shot and killed eight Black churchgoers in Charleston — murders that were the impetus for the flag’s lowering — had “hijacked” a symbol that many people took to stand for “service and sacrifice and heritage.” Two days later, she wrote in the Washington Post, “Everyone knows the flag has always been a symbol of slavery, discrimination and hate for many people.”

The two messages capture Haley’s sometimes contradictory messages on race. Throughout her career, the South Carolina-born daughter of Indian immigrants has generally called out acts of individual prejudice and the people responsible. But Haley, now a Republican presidential candidate, has avoided denouncing society or groups of people as racist……..

Just curious as to what sees as her path to the nomination. Even though it's still super early, I think it's unrealistic at this point to expect she'll be able to surge past Trump in the delegate count. It's been reported that some voters will be "less likely" to vote for Trump if he's convicted of one of the felonies he's facing, but depending on how far along they are in the nomination process if that were to happen it might not make a difference.

So is she thinking he'll get invalidated by the courts, and then she'll be the only one left standing, with more delegates than anyone else? If the Supreme Court rules quickly on the Colorado and Maine cases, I guess that could be possible.

But what if he were to get invalidated after he's secured the nomination. Would the party then go back and say, "okay Nikki, you came in second, so you are now the nominee," or if Trump had named a Vice Presidential running mate, would that person become the nominee?

Really bizarre shirt.

Just curious as to what sees as her path to the nomination. Even though it's still super early, I think it's unrealistic at this point to expect she'll be able to surge past Trump in the delegate count. It's been reported that some voters will be "less likely" to vote for Trump if he's convicted of one of the felonies he's facing, but depending on how far along they are in the nomination process if that were to happen it might not make a difference.

So is she thinking he'll get invalidated by the courts, and then she'll be the only one left standing, with more delegates than anyone else? If the Supreme Court rules quickly on the Colorado and Maine cases, I guess that could be possible.

But what if he were to get invalidated after he's secured the nomination. Would the party then go back and say, "okay Nikki, you came in second, so you are now the nominee," or if Trump had named a Vice Presidential running mate, would that person become the nominee?

Really bizarre shirt.
    It's probably ultimately up to the party. It's their primary process. I'm sure they have their own rules and procedures, but I suppose they can do whatever they want. My guess is they'll go with Nikki if they feel it's too much of a risk to continue with Trump.

Ideally, Trump steps down due to pressure from the party in the event he's convicted. But I don't see Trump dropping out willingly.

Really bizarre shirt.

I thought her path was very narrow... then there was a leak (not sure if it was a leak or not) but word got out that RNC was going to announce that Trump was the presumed nominee before this all played out... which I think hurt her chances even more. They ultimately decided not to announce that, but word was already out, so it probably put a notion in the minds of some voters, that would further lessen her chances.

Haley is going to get asked about racism a lot from here on out. She’ll need some better answers than she’s been giving so far
    ==================
    COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Four years after South Carolina removed the Confederate battle flag from its Statehouse grounds, Nikki Haley offered two separate explanations of the flag’s meaning in less than a week.

Haley, the state’s governor when the flag was pulled in 2015 from its place of honor in Columbia, said in a 2019 interview with conservative radio host Glenn Beck that the man who shot and killed eight Black churchgoers in Charleston — murders that were the impetus for the flag’s lowering — had “hijacked” a symbol that many people took to stand for “service and sacrifice and heritage.” Two days later, she wrote in the Washington Post, “Everyone knows the flag has always been a symbol of slavery, discrimination and hate for many people.”

The two messages capture Haley’s sometimes contradictory messages on race. Throughout her career, the South Carolina-born daughter of Indian immigrants has generally called out acts of individual prejudice and the people responsible. But Haley, now a Republican presidential candidate, has avoided denouncing society or groups of people as racist……..

I think that if Haley acknowledges racism still exists and is a problem, what slim to none chances she has at winning the primary completely evaporate. No Republican candidate can win if they admit racism is still a problem.

I think that Trump is the only Republican that has any chance of winning the general election without acknowledging that racism is still a problem.

That is the dilemma that I think Trump has created for the Republican party. His challengers had no chance of winning the primary if they admit racism is a problem and denying that it is, like Haley has done so far, seals a loss for them in the general election.

And that is just on the issue of racism. There are a lot more issues that Trump has created a dilemma for the Republican party.

Really bizarre shirt.
    If Trump doesn't get the nomination, I thing he stokes his devotees into, figuratively and to some degree literally, burning down the Republican party.

If the Supreme Court upholds Colorado and Maine's decisions, I think Trump does the same to the justices he appointed to the Supreme Court.

Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett are probably frantically trying to figure out how they are going to go about contradicting Scalia regarding the President being an officer of the US, or they are beefing up their personal security and trying to figure out if Trump has anything incriminating on them.

Even if the 3 of them rule in favor of Trump staying on the ballot in a 6-3 loss for Trump, Trump will go HAM at the 3 of them for not doing enough for him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom