Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

zztop

Reaction score
    Thought I would start a dedicated topic about her.
    If anyone comes across info pertaining to her, feel free to post it here

Last edited:
    Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley claimed Tuesday that the United States has never been a “racist” country, rejecting a suggestion that she might have trouble becoming the GOP presidential nominee as a woman of color.

In an interview on “Fox & Friends,” co-host Brian Kilmeade asked Haley whether she thinks the GOP is a “racist party.”

“No. We’re not a racist country, Brian. We’ve never been a racist country,” Haley said in response.

“Our goal is to make sure that today is better than yesterday,” she continued. “Are we perfect? No. But our goal is to always make sure we try and be more perfect every day that we can.”

Drawing on her experience as “a brown girl that grew up in a small rural town in South Carolina,” Haley said she has experienced racism in the past but doesn’t want to raise her children to think they’re disadvantaged — a point she’s made before.

“I know, I faced racism when I was growing up. But I can tell you, today is a lot better than it was then,” Haley said. “Our goal is to lift up everybody. Not go and divide people on race or gender or party or anything else. We’ve had enough of that in America.”

She added: “I don’t want my kids growing up where they’re sitting there thinking that they’re disadvantaged because of a color or a gender. I want them to know that if they work hard, they can do and be anything they want to be in America.”...........

Why did the vast majority fight, in your opinion?
    A long list, while at the top would be the romance of war in young males, like every single war from caveman days. Do you think the vast majority of the young men that enlisted and fought did so in order to keep slaves (which they did not own)?
    Do you think the majority of union men enlisted and fought to stop slavery in the south?

May I suggest “Break It Up” by Richard Kreitner? There were state’s rights arguments on both sides but the underlying foundation was slavery. The basic issue beyond that was constant capitulation to the Southern slaveholders and their politicians regarding maintaining the union.

The South didn’t give a damn about anything beyond keeping their slaves.
    When you say 'South' are you talking the politicians and wealthy or the common southerner that did not own slaves?
    You think the average southern farmer that did not own slaves enlisted to fight so that rich could keep their slave labor?

You are correct, the underlying issue was slavery and that was wrapped up in the same fight we are having to a degree today, states rights.

You think the average southern farmer that did not own slaves enlisted to fight so that rich could keep their slave labor?

Yes, very likely. Why is that so hard to believe? You have a lot of poor and middle class people today who support right wing politics and position that largely favor the elite billionaire class. Things like trickle down economics, denial of climate change, structural racism, etc. Surely those same types of people were alive then and supported/fought for slavery in Southern states that benefited the rich. Tradition and states rights and all.

A long list, while at the top would be the romance of war in young males, like every single war from caveman days. Do you think the vast majority of the young men that enlisted and fought did so in order to keep slaves (which they did not own)?
    Do you think the majority of union men enlisted and fought to stop slavery in the south?

Not slaves of their own, but the institution itself. I always thought it was common knowledge that slaves were otherized and those farmers that couldn't afford slaves of their own were sold on it as "at least you are better than them, ending slavery makes them equal to you."

I expect for the same reason some people rail so hard against illegal border crossings when they live in a town that is 98% white, a thousand miles from the Mexican border and 50 miles from anyone who speaks Spanish

Last edited:
    Not slaves of their own, but the institution itself. I always thought it was common knowledge that slaves were otherized and those farmers that couldn't afford slaves of their own were sold on it as "at least you are better than them, ending slavery makes them equal to you."
    Or...when you're rich enough, you can own slaves too!

Yeah that and the southern rubes were told god said it was supposed to be that way. And you are fighting on god's side.

But let's let religion off the hook again.
    Well, to some degree. There were ministers who actually were part of the movement to free slaves. So...some religion, yes, but not close to all.

Well, to some degree. There were ministers who actually were part of the movement to free slaves. So...some religion, yes, but not close to all.
    Honest question: were there Southern churches opposed to slavery? I know there were some - like Quakers - who opposed it early, but they pretty much moved away from slave holding areas didn’t they? I found researching my husband‘s family tree that had a lot of Quakers - these Quakers were in NC and some even owned slaves at first but by late 1600’s they were against slavery as a church and a lot of them moved away. I don’t know about any other churches though.

Honest question: were there Southern churches opposed to slavery? I know there were some - like Quakers - who opposed it early, but they pretty much moved away from slave holding areas didn’t they? I found researching my husband‘s family tree that had a lot of Quakers - these Quakers were in NC and some even owned slaves at first but by late 1600’s they were against slavery as a church and a lot of them moved away. I don’t know about any other churches though.
    There definitely were some in the South, but a lot of it was in secret because of violent opposition to abolition.

As President Donald Trump listened inside the Oval Office, Nikki Haley pitched a dramatic gambit to jump-start Middle East peace talks: Cutting off U.S. funding to a U.N. program providing critical aid to Palestinian refugees.

It was a startling idea, especially coming from the ambassador to the United Nations, who months earlier had toured a West Bank refugee camp. Trump’s chief of staff, John F. Kelly — the only other person in the Oval Office at that moment, according to Haley — rushed out to find Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who had made clear he would oppose cutting the funds.

That left Haley with a much-sought opportunity: direct access to Trump. In the moments that followed, she successfully pushed the president toward a decision that could deplete resources for food, education and other services for millions of refugees, including the girls and young women she had recently met, and alienate the Palestinian leaders whom she once hoped to win over.

The tense meeting in early 2018, as described in Haley’s memoir and confirmed by former administration officials, highlights the extraordinary conflicts of Haley’s nearly two years spent working under Trump and more recently, her campaign against him for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

An examination of her time as U.N. ambassador shows that, even as she clashed with Trump on some key foreign policy views, she resisted publicly criticizing him, instead pushing for meetings and phone conversations — access that alienated her from some other White House officials. She announced abruptly in October 2018 that she would leave the job, but unlike many others in Trump’s administration, she waited years before forcefully speaking out against his presidential record.

Haley initially played down her disagreements with Trump in her memoir, and only recently has gone from praising him as tough on China to saying he showed “moral weakness” on the issue. Trump, who once effusively praised Haley, now mocks her as a “globalist.”..........

Doubling down with this total word salad of a non answer

bolding mine
    ======================================
    CNN’s Jake Tapper on Thursday challenged Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley over her widely-panned claim to Fox News’ Brian Kilmeade earlier this week that America is not and has “never been” a racist country.

During a televised town hall event at New England College in New Hampshire, Tapper reminded Haley that “protections for the institution of slavery were written into the U.S. Constitution, the White House was built with slave labor” and that Haley’s “home state of South Carolina seceded from the Union, fought a war to defend the enslavement of Black people.”

“I understand you don’t think America is a racist country now,” acknowledged Tapper. “But we’re here at a college. Do you really think, as a historical matter, America has never been a racist country?”

Haley replied, “It was that men are created equal with unalienable rights, right? That was what we all knew. But what I look at it as is I was a brown girl that grew up in a small, rural town. We had plenty of racism that we had to deal with, but my parents never said we lived in a racist country, and I’m so thankful they didn’t, because for every brown and Black child out there, if you tell them they live or are born in a racist country, you’re immediately telling them they don’t have a chance.”

The former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations said she believed in the importance of telling children that “America is not perfect” and “we have our stains” but that “our goal should always be to make today better than yesterday..”

“National self-loathing” is “killing our country,” Haley claimed, later saying she wanted children of color to see her political ascent and say, ‘No, I don’t live in a country that was formed on racism. I live in a country where they wanted all people to be equal and to make sure they had life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.’”

Tapper followed up, “OK, but just to push back a bit, because I was a history major in New Hampshire” before saying she was talking about the ideals of America but that the country was still “founded institutionally on many racist precepts, including slavery.”

Haley argued “the intent” of America’s founding was “to do the right thing” and said she refused “to believe that the premise of when they formed our country was based on the fact that it was a racist country to start with.”..........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom