Now is not the time to talk about gun control (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

What I meant was that Stonekettle wasn’t responding harshly to just anybody that was offering thoughts and prayers. He was responding specifically to someone who is part of the reason we are in this situation. I totally agree with you about Republican politicians. They aren’t leading, they are slavishly following the gun lobby (NRA), who has been greatly influenced by Russia. It’s no coincidence. Russia (Putin) wants nothing more than to tear this country apart. Guns are simply one way he is doing it.
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it.

Another horribly broken facet of American society -- its obsession with guns and epidemic of school shootings. You don't see this in other civilized nations. Something is very wrong with the culture of this country and it has nothing to do with 'the libs.'

Last edited:
    evidently the killer was being actively pursued by police and still managed to get into the school and kill that many people before they got to him.

Another horribly broken facet of American society -- it's obsession with guns and epidemic of school shootings. You don't see this in other civilized nations. Something is very wrong with the culture of this country and it has nothing to do with 'the libs.'

I think from a policy standpoint, the hardest part about where we are is that the 2A lobby has for so long pushed the fallacy that any (literally any) gun control measure, no matter how sensible, represents a “slippery slope” toward total gun confiscation by the government. The Supreme Court has well solidified the 2A right as a matter of law so it’s okay to look for gaps in the system where dangerous people get access to dangerous weapons . . . but they shut it down from the get go. And their constituencies are so ingrained to it, they tow the line and we’re literally paralyzed from doing anything.

More general thoughts:

The whole 'good guy with a gun thing' is a shallow talking point of the gun lobby and those with gun fetishes. That said, I'm not necessarily in favor of draconian gun laws but there has to be a better way to ensure they stop getting into the hands of those not right in the head. It will be informative to see where the shooter acquired these guns.

I think from a policy standpoint, the hardest part about where we are is that the 2A lobby has for so long pushed the fallacy that any (literally any) gun control measure, no matter how sensible, represents a “slippery slope” toward total gun confiscation by the government. The Supreme Court has well solidified the 2A right as a matter of law so it’s okay to look for gaps in the system where dangerous people get access to dangerous weapons . . . but they shut it down from the get go. And their constituencies are so ingrained to it, they tow the line and we’re literally paralyzed from doing anything.
    Right. It's basically become a religion onto itself in terms of the fervor.

Another horribly broken facet of American society -- its obsession with guns and epidemic of school shootings. You don't see this in other civilized nations. Something is very wrong with the culture of this country and it has nothing to do with 'the libs.'
    And just how broken? Below is a 17-year-old walking around during a protest armed with an AR15 and the police didn't make a single move to stop him. Nothing. Nada. Zip:

merlin_178250748_cc08b3d7-f5fd-47c2-90dc-516189f5515e-superJumbo.jpg

More general thoughts:

The whole 'good guy with a gun thing' is a shallow talking point of the gun lobby and those with gun fetishes. That said, I'm not necessarily in favor of draconian gun laws but there has to be a better way to ensure they stop getting into the hands of those not right in the head. It will be informative to see where the shooter acquired these guns.
    Exactly. Considering that, per reports, that law enforcement confronted and engaged him outside the school and he still got inside to kill those children should quiet them down. Unfortunately, it won't.

It appears law enforcement was pursuing him for shooting his grandmother, who he lived with. (I just read tonight that misogyny and/or harm to a female relative is a very good predictor for the type of young male who commits mass shootings, which I didn’t know.) Wearing body armor, which begs the question - why is body armor legal for civilians? Why would anyone except the military and law enforcement need body armor? Deer ain’t shooting back….

Exactly. Considering that, per reports, that law enforcement confronted and engaged him outside the school and he still got inside to kill those children should quiet them down. Unfortunately, it won't.
    If that is true, that they did see him and engaged him and still he enter the school and had time to do what he did. Then the good guys with the guns were craven cowards.

Craven cowards wearing guns and badges. Ugly,,, Ugly,, giant bags of mostly water.

If that is true, that they did see him and engaged him and still he enter the school and had time to do what he did. Then the good guys with the guns were craven cowards.

Craven cowards wearing guns and badges. Ugly,,, Ugly,, giant bags of mostly water.

I read that it took only minutes for him to kill everyone. The type of weapon plays into this. I read that a member of Border Patrol rushed into the school and killed him without waiting, but it doesn’t take long to kill that many people with an AR-15. I also read that authorities were asking parents to do DNA swabs to help identify the bodies because of the horrific damage that type of weapon does to a small human. This is why having armed guards doesn’t really help. It only takes a few minutes to do horrible damage. They cannot be everywhere.

I read that it took only minutes for him to kill everyone. The type of weapon plays into this. I read that a member of Border Patrol rushed into the school and killed him without waiting, but it doesn’t take long to kill that many people with an AR-15. I also read that authorities were asking parents to do DNA swabs to help identify the bodies because of the horrific damage that type of weapon does to a small human. This is why having armed guards doesn’t really help. It only takes a few minutes to do horrible damage. They cannot be everywhere.

I'll let Joe speak for me:

And when you think people can’t be worse than the ones claiming that this was an undocumented person from Mexico who did the shooting, we get this from a member of Congress no less. This man is seriously ill and needs to be kicked out of Congress.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom