Now is not the time to talk about gun control (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Expected. The whites can be trusted with a thousand-gun arsenal, but let's make sure we regulate guns on the blacks.

"I didn't even mention race!"

How did I push you? By daring to suggest that our current gun laws aren't effective in preventing gun violence (they aren't), and maybe there could be some new ones that could help (there absolutely could), and maybe you wouldn't love them all but could find it in your heart to make a sacrifice for the greater good (who am I kidding)?
    Ok not leaving. Our current gun laws are not effective. We agree there. No I most likely won’t like them because I am not a felon. I am a responsible gun owner. I don’t like any rights I currently have being restricted. You however don’t seem to realize me agreeing to licensing and training is a step where I am making concessions to my current situation.

As for the race thing don’t. I have Hispanic grandchildren and a black son in law. I am not a racist.

I don’t think that’s a fair statement when only like 2 people are really pushing back on you.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, and I think the training you mentioned is an area where there is (or at least should be) a great deal of agreement. I feel like responsible gun owners (like you), and others who want guns better controlled would both see that move as a layup.

I had hunter education way back in the day (probably 98?), and they taught you to respect the firearm - I think that would be a highly beneficial move. In my mind, I liken these steps to getting a drivers license.

Another viewpoint I hold is with the “need” thing. (Follow me here) I agree, but not for the same reason as most. I really just see it as a massive waste of money - I didn’t pay for either of my guns, or I wouldn’t own one. I just don’t think it’s a justified cost. But…that’s the thing with collectibles, the worthiness is in the eye of the collector. No one needs 100 Air Jordan’s, rare coins, Pop! bobbles, etc, but people do it. Now, I realize no one’s Retro 12 Jordan’s are going to be used in a miser if they’re stolen, but the people investing all this money in guns aren’t just leaving them out in the open to get picked off. They’re the least of my concern.

Note: I’m a bit out of it on pain meds right now, so apologies if anything was super rambly or made no sense
    Thank you. People like collecting things
    I took a step back after Sandy Hook and sold all of my AR’s because I decided I did not personally need them. Personal choice. I lost money in it because I sold them to a dealer. I ended up getting less than half of what I paid for them, and I paid over 1k on each of them. So I personally have made concessions.

@Semper From your posts here and EE you are a very responsible gun owner and if every gun owner had your attitude surrounding firearms we’d better off

But not everyone does

What can we do to make sure more people have the proper respect and care for guns?

Should someone somewhere be able to look up Semper and get a detailed listing of all 30 guns you own?

You mentioned that 30 is way down from what it was

Should there be an exact accounting of what happened to the rest?

Should there be X number of hours of field/classroom/safety training before someone is able to bring a gun home?

Should a certain level of gun case be required too?

I freely admit I don’t know anything about guns, but I know I’m sick of all the gun violence and something has to be done

@Semper From your posts here and EE you are a very responsible gun owner and if every gun owner had your attitude surrounding firearms we’d better off

But not everyone does

What can we do to make sure more people have the proper respect and care for guns?

Should someone somewhere be able to look up Semper and get a detailed listing of all 30 guns you own?

You mentioned that 30 is way down from what it was

Should there be an exact accounting of what happened to the rest?

Should there be X number of hours of field/classroom/safety training before someone is able to bring a gun home?

Should a certain level of gun case be required too?

I freely admit I don’t know anything about guns, but I know I’m sick of all the gun violence and something has to be done
    I sold all my guns through an FFL license. As for how to fix it I don’t know. I took hunter safety in school and I think education is key. But I also realize the high amounts of crime in large cities and it seems to be involving younger kids more and more. Somehow these kids need to be given hope that there can be a better life than what they currently see. If you remove gun crime from the major cities you significantly change what gun crime looks like in the USA. So I think fixing it has to start in that general area.

If you look up any of my old posts about guns you will see I regularly call for required training. If you own a firearm for hunting not so much. But if you are going to carry a gun on your person the training should be mandatory on a yearly basis. Should be standard for the entire country. State controlled like a drivers license but the standards are set by the federal government. You commit a crime with a firearm there mandatory sentences. For instance if you use it but don’t fire it, 5 years no parole. You fire the gun 10 years no parole. Kill someone and it’s life. Kill someone and there is irrefutable proof death penalty. Your court case and appeal is fast tracked.
    I would like to see some sort of safety training even for hunting as well. When my children were young a boy in our rural subdivision was hit by a round from a hunter while shooting hoops in his driveway. Luckily it was only a flesh wound, as they say, but it was a wake up call for all of us in the neighborhood. They never found out who it was, the police concluded it was a stray bullet from a hunter.

Actually, I just read recently that the majority of gun crime in America is related to domestic violence. I cannot remember where I read or heard that, so am going from memory. It’s very frustrating when I see Republican politicians opposed to laws that would restrict gun ownership from people convicted of domestic abuse.

Actually, I just read recently that the majority of gun crime in America is related to domestic violence. I cannot remember where I read or heard that, so am going from memory. It’s very frustrating when I see Republican politicians opposed to laws that would restrict gun ownership from people convicted of domestic abuse.
    Jon Stewart actually did a show on this recently, and had some victims on. Basically, they called the police on their S/Os for domestic violence, but not all the guns were taken for one reason or another, and the guests ended up shot. This is one I really think needs to be enforced. If you’re accused of domestic abuse, your guns get seized. If you’re found guilty, you can’t own them again. If an innocent person has to go a month without their guns, so be it, the alternative isn’t worth it. Domestic violence, unfortunately, is something close to me so I have some pretty strong feelings on the subject.

I think a huge chunk is suicide as well.

Jon Stewart actually did a show on this recently, and had some victims on. Basically, they called the police on their S/Os for domestic violence, but not all the guns were taken for one reason or another, and the guests ended up shot. This is one I really think needs to be enforced. If you’re accused of domestic abuse, your guns get seized. If you’re found guilty, you can’t own them again. If an innocent person has to go a month without their guns, so be it, the alternative isn’t worth it. Domestic violence, unfortunately, is something close to me so I have some pretty strong feelings on the subject.
    They already do that here in Wisconsin. I assumed it was the same everywhere.

What I am reading suggests that while there may be laws on the books, they are not enforced, nor do the laws really spell out a protocol for the seizing or surrender of guns owned by people accused or even convicted of domestic abuse. So absent any guidance, police simply do nothing.

Indeed. I watched that episode and the one lady was shot by her S/O with the very gun that the judge allowed him to keep because of...reasons.

Indeed.

On some real ..... this whole allowing 18 year olds to buy semi auto, magazine fed rifles BS should be over. Bolt action, single round load at age 18-21 (TBH, I'd prefer age 25) should damn well better be the law.

Curbing irresponsible legal gun purchasing will prevent mass shootings...these little a holes don't have enough balls to go out to the black market and buy an illegal gun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom