Media Tracker (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    I figured we needed a thread specifically about the media.

There was a very big correction recently by the Washington Post.

That story was supposedly "independently confirmed" by CNN, NBC News, USA Today, ABC News, & PBS News Hour. How could they all have gotten the quote wrong if they actually independently confirmed the story?

Why do all the errors always go in one political direction and not closer to 50/50?

Yep and they were on track to owning 75% of the local viewership/markets before the got cut off. Now they only own like 45% of the viewership/markets. And all the stations they DO own have these right-wing FUD pieces that are mandated as "must run" even though they have little basis in reality
    I agree, but the left has a massive advantage in Hollywood and the social science departments in most colleges and universities in America. This allows them to indoctrinate the young students. The culture wars are real.

Here is a good study about the political leanings of college professors in the social sciences.

Faculty Voter Registration in Economics, History, Journalism, Law, and Psychology
    by Mitchell Langbert, Anthony J. Quain, and Daniel B. Klein

Volume (Issue)
    13(3)
    Pages
    422–451

Published
    September 2016

Abstract
    We investigate the voter registration of faculty at 40 leading U.S. universities in the fields of Economics, History, Journalism/Communications, Law, and Psychology. We looked up 7,243 professors and found 3,623 to be registered Democratic and 314 Republican, for an overall D:R ratio of 11.5:1. The D:R ratios for the five fields were: Economics 4.5:1, History 33.5:1, Journalism/Communications 20.0:1, Law 8.6:1, and Psychology 17.4:1. The results indicate that D:R ratios have increased since 2004, and the age profile suggests that in the future they will be even higher. We provide a breakdown by department at each university. The data support the established finding that D:R ratios are highest at the apex of disciplinary pyramids, that is, at the most prestigious departments. We also examine how D:R ratios vary by gender and by region. People interested in ideological diversity or concerned about the errors of leftist outlooks—including students, parents, donors, and taxpayers—might find our results deeply troubling.

https://econjwatch.org/File+download/944/LangbertQuainKleinSept2016.pdf?mimetype=pdf

If you need a source to prove the culture wars are real you need to read some of the posts in the forum. Or perhaps you are from Mars!

Here is a good study about the political leanings of college professors in the social sciences.

Faculty Voter Registration in Economics, History, Journalism, Law, and Psychology
    by Mitchell Langbert, Anthony J. Quain, and Daniel B. Klein

Volume (Issue)
    13(3)
    Pages
    422–451

Published
    September 2016

Abstract
    We investigate the voter registration of faculty at 40 leading U.S. universities in the fields of Economics, History, Journalism/Communications, Law, and Psychology. We looked up 7,243 professors and found 3,623 to be registered Democratic and 314 Republican, for an overall D:R ratio of 11.5:1. The D:R ratios for the five fields were: Economics 4.5:1, History 33.5:1, Journalism/Communications 20.0:1, Law 8.6:1, and Psychology 17.4:1. The results indicate that D:R ratios have increased since 2004, and the age profile suggests that in the future they will be even higher. We provide a breakdown by department at each university. The data support the established finding that D:R ratios are highest at the apex of disciplinary pyramids, that is, at the most prestigious departments. We also examine how D:R ratios vary by gender and by region. People interested in ideological diversity or concerned about the errors of leftist outlooks—including students, parents, donors, and taxpayers—might find our results deeply troubling.

https://econjwatch.org/File+download/944/LangbertQuainKleinSept2016.pdf?mimetype=pdf

If you need a source to prove the culture wars are real you need to read some of the posts in the forum. Or perhaps you are from Mars!

I always find it interesting when people point out things like university professors overwhelmingly being D. The reason I find it interesting is that highly educated individuals are overwhelmingly blue as well. It's outright proof of how one ideological group promotes education, while the other one doesn't. This isn't a culture war that is secretly being fought by a bunch of professors brainwashing the next generation. This is a war from within, being fought by R's who, in general, do not value education. Instead of promoting education, they thumb their noses at it, instead of pushing intelligence to the top, they bury it as deep as they can. Instead of pushing their own to get educated, they instead make up a conspiracy about how education is filled with people trying to force ideas on these students. When the reality is that they're just educating them and pushing them to think critically, and for a population that believes education is bad, this can be really scary.

I always find it interesting when people point out things like university professors overwhelmingly being D. The reason I find it interesting is that highly educated individuals are overwhelmingly blue as well. It's outright proof of how one ideological group promotes education, while the other one doesn't.
    That is a good point, but the marked shift to the left among college professors is seen in the social sciences. You will not see many SJW or marxists professors in engineering, premed, math, physics, and computer science departments.

This isn't a culture war that is secretly being fought by a bunch of professors brainwashing the next generation. This is a war from within, being fought by R's who, in general, do not value education.
    The public education system has been in the hands of the extreme left in major urban predominantly blue areas for at least five decades. They have absolute control of the school board. I will gladly admit that public education is also in the toilet in rural red areas; the problem is systemic. The only areas where the public schools are any good are in neighborhoods with a high socioeconomic level such as my neclk of the woods in Potomac, Maryland and in many areas of northern Virginia.

Instead of promoting education, they thumb their noses at it, instead of pushing intelligence to the top, they bury it as deep as they can. Instead of pushing their own to get educated, they instead make up a conspiracy about how education is filled with people trying to force ideas on these students. When the reality is that they're just educating them and pushing them to think critically, and for a population that believes education is bad, this can be really scary.
    I agree, but Dems have done equally bad.

That is a good point, but the marked shift to the left among college professors is seen in the social sciences. You will not see many SJW or marxists professors in engineering, premed, math, physics, and computer science departments.

The public education system has been in the hands of the extreme left in major urban predominantly blue areas for at least five decades. They have absolute control of the school board.
    I will gladly admit that public education is also in the toilet in rural red areas; the problem is systemic. The only areas where the public schools are any good are in neighborhoods with a high socioeconomic level such as my neclk of the woods in Potomac, Maryland and in many areas of northern Virginia.

I agree, but Dems have done equally bad.
    Most of this is not correct. Maybe all of it. And no, I’m not going to look anything up, but if you are going to make sweeping statements like the ones I have bolded, you need to back them up.

Most of this is not correct. Maybe all of it. And no, I’m not going to look anything up, but if you are going to make sweeping statements like the ones I have bolded, you need to back them up.
    The paper mentions a left side bias only in the social sciences. Engineering, computer science, math, physics generally attract moderates with no political agenda. The only major where the ratio Democrats to Republicans is low is in Economics which requires math knowledge.

Humanities attracts excessively liberal people whereas STEM attracts mostly highly intelligent apolitical types. We just don't see many STEM activists on the left.

STEM is about applying logic, and reasoning. They are not likely to marxists on the faculty.

Most humanities self-select in favor of left wing activists.

The result is highly predictable. BTW, many people go into the soft sciences of humanities because they have no brains to study a STEM career.

Are you denying that the school board in the major urban blue cities is not Democrat? You need a source for that? Really? Do you think the school board in Baltimore or Washington DC is Republican?

Last edited:
    That is a good point, but the marked shift to the left among college professors is seen in the social sciences.
    Highly educated people lean left.

Trump loves the poorly educated.

I don’t see why this is hard.

Just to point out something real quick. You can't claim that Democrats are taking over universities and indoctrinating students with liberal agendas, and also at the same time claim they're not within any majors that require logic. Because if that is true, that means the "logical" thinking STEM majors, are what...too dumb to not allow the extreme liberal humanities to run the show? These seem like conflicting thoughts. It's not like the humanities have more pull. Without having anything other than a gut reaction on this, I'd say the STEM majors just might make more money. Call that a crazy hunch. Usually those with more money are able to donate more, which then makes them have more pull at a university. Which again, goes against the idea that somehow that crazy liberal Women's Studies or Anthropology professor is somehow running a brainwashing agenda to take over.

Highly educated people lean left.
    Someone else said the same thing. I suggest you read post #294. This is what I said:

"That is a good point, but the marked shift to the left among college professors is seen in the social sciences. You will not see many SJW or marxists professors in engineering, premed, math, physics, and computer science departments."

An education in the soft sciences is not the same as an education in STEM. The left wing professors are mostly in political science, humanities, history, etc. You will not see many of the same ilk in computer science, engineering, medicine, physics, math, etc.

The Trump followers are mostly blu collars, that is true.
    I don’t see why this is hard.
    No it is not hard. I suggest you look at this again. I will say conservatives do not gravitate to humanities and the social sciences as left wingers do so there may be a selection bias. However, these days conservative college professors keep a low profile unless they have tenure. Normal old fashioned non-woke liberals like Steven pinker are often labeled conservative. Meanwhile the conservative professors withy no tenure are in a minority and are in the closet.

In STEM there is no issue.

I think the problem is that "conservatives" do not teach their children to think. They are to just "accept authority!" When the "authority" teaches truth (which they happen to disagree with), they know their weak-minded children will just blindly accept what they are being told. At least, that appears to be the argument to me.

Sounds like a bad parenting issue to me.

Just to point out something real quick. You can't claim that Democrats are taking over universities and indoctrinating students with liberal agendas, and also at the same time claim they're not within any majors that require logic.
    Logic for a mathematician , engineer, or computer science major is different than the logic of a political science marxist professor. In reality is like comparing apples to oranges; totally different mindsets.
    Because if that is true, that means the "logical" thinking STEM majors, are what...too dumb to not allow the extreme liberal humanities to run the show? These seem like conflicting thoughts. It's not like the humanities have more pull.
    No humanities do not have more pull, but they attract the activist type students. And I am sorry to say this, but STEM majors require more brains than soft science majors.
    Without having anything other than a gut reaction on this, I'd say the STEM majors just might make more money.
    Agreed.
    Call that a crazy hunch. Usually those with more money are able to donate more, which then makes them have more pull at a university.
    An engineering college professor does not make enough to be a heavy duty donor. But, we know one thing. The WOKE have not infiltrated engineering schools.
    Which again, goes against the idea that somehow that crazy liberal Women's Studies or Anthropology professor is somehow running a brainwashing agenda to take over.
    Those that teach women, ethnic, or lesbian studies are very much teaching social justice.
    Many universities now market themselves as social justice centers. This is not exactly a true liberal education with an open mind to hear all points of view.

Paul, I'm trying not to sound sarcastic with this response so hopefully it won't come across that way. However, I still don't get it. If the SJW/liberal brainwashing is only being done among the low paid/low demand majors that are already left leaning, what do conservatives care? Especially if the logic is that more moderate to conservative are the ones in the higher paying/high demand majors? Wouldn't they be excited over that? That the liberals are leaving all the high paying jobs for them?

Paul, I'm trying not to sound sarcastic with this response so hopefully it won't come across that way. However, I still don't get it. If the SJW/liberal brainwashing is only being done among the low paid/low demand majors that are already left leaning, what do conservatives care? Especially if the logic is that more moderate to conservative are the ones in the higher paying/high demand majors? Wouldn't they be excited over that? That the liberals are leaving all the high paying jobs for them?
    Gosh, you make 100% sense.

It is possible that they are massively exposed to right wing propaganda highlighting a problem that is not that BIG. IN this era of social media and instant access to news everything seems magnified. If you ask people about danger and violence in the streets they will tell that today is worse than ever when in reality there has been a declining trend over the decades. The difference is that 50 years ago there was no instant publicity.

I once saw an interview with a college kid who thought cops were killing black people on a daily basis when in reality the numbers have gone down. The news and social media exaggerate everything.

And now that I think about it. Sociology professors have been on the left for a long time.

Good point, I realized something new after reading your words.

Paul, you know you could just say ”no, I don’t have any sources, these are merely my opinions.“

Just repeating what you said over again and ignoring most of what I highlighted accomplishes nothing.

here is what you said:
    Paul said:
    ‘That is a good point, but the marked shift to the left among college professors is seen in the social sciences. You will not see many SJW or marxists professors in engineering, premed, math, physics, and computer science departments.

The public education system has been in the hands of the extreme left in major urban predominantly blue areas for at least five decades. They have absolute control of the school board. I will gladly admit that public education is also in the toilet in rural red areas; the problem is systemic. The only areas where the public schools are any good are in neighborhoods with a high socioeconomic level such as my neclk of the woods in Potomac, Maryland and in many areas of northern Virginia.

I agree, but Dems have done equally bad.’

first: you act as if the STEM departments must be full of conservatives if they are not your current epithet for liberals or marxists. I don’t believe that to be true at all. I imagine you would find that there are plenty of Democratic leaning folks in those fields.

next: you said that the extreme left has controlled the major urban area public education systems for at least five decades, and your response to prove that was ‘well, they’re not Republicans’. You seem to be implying that all democrats are “extreme left”. That’s simply not true and you offer no proof.

next: the only good public schools are in high socioeconomic neighborhoods. This isn’t true either, and you offer no proof.

Last: Dems have done equally bad. This is just one of your gratuitous “both sides” canards.

Paul, you know you could just say ”no, I don’t have any sources, these are merely my opinions.“

Just repeating what you said over again and ignoring most of what I highlighted accomplishes nothing.

here is what you said:
    Paul said:
    ‘That is a good point, but the marked shift to the left among college professors is seen in the social sciences. You will not see many SJW or marxists professors in engineering, premed, math, physics, and computer science departments.

I agree, but Dems have done equally bad.’

first: you act as if the STEM departments must be full of conservatives if they are not your current epithet for liberals or marxists. I don’t believe that to be true at all. I imagine you would find that there are plenty of Democratic leaning folks in those fields.

next: you said that the extreme left has controlled the major urban area public education systems for at least five decades, and your response to prove that was ‘well, they’re not Republicans’. You seem to be implying that all democrats are “extreme left”. That’s simply not true and you offer no proof.

next: the only good public schools are in high socioeconomic neighborhoods. This isn’t true either, and you offer no proof.

Last: Dems have done equally bad. This is just one of your gratuitous “both sides” canards.
    Next I will say the Earth orbits the Sun and you will ask for a reference. I did not say anything that is not common knowledge.

I also said that most STEM people are likely moderates. I did not say or imply they are Republicans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom