Justice Breyer reportedly to retire (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Under current political norms... nah. Anyway, it's not as if there was a significant difference -- from a legal theory perspective -- between the potential nominees.

Because she has the statistically superior chance of living longer.

Agree. Selecting anyone whose age doesn’t start with a 4- is a mistake. Thomas was 43 when confirmed, has served 30 years now, and looks like he could be there another decade.

With a 6-3 court, Biden should have capped his pick to age 45.

Considering Biden's handlers track record at picking people based only on color and gender has worked out in the past (Harris), we should all be worried by this pick.
    I think Harris is generally unlikable in a vein similar to Hillary in which their insincerity is readily apparent and she's certainly not politically savvy at the national level.. but I'd figure their main purpose in choosing her as the running mate was winning the 2020 election, and in that sense it worked out alright.

Good article
    ================

One of the reasons I am no longer a card-carrying Republican is because the party simply does not actively court, value or embrace smart Black women among their ranks. Yes, we can point to former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice; Kay Coles James, director of the office of personnel management under former president George W. Bush and current Virginia secretary of the commonwealth; Virginia Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears; and former Utah congresswoman Mia Love as Black female success stories in the Republican Party. And retired federal Judge Janice Rogers Brown, who was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit by Bush, and who was considered a serious contender for the Supreme Court.

The problem is that after those five names, I am hard pressed to come up with any others. Trust me, I know. I spent over 20 years of my life as a Republican woman of color, and it was not a very positive experience. I have written many articles about it over the years, and I am sad to see little has changed since I first joined the GOP as a college sophomore in 1988.

The reality is that as we head into the confirmation phase of the historic Supreme Court nomination of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, the Republican Party that will vet her in the Senate does not have one elected Black woman in the Congress. White women are represented in local, state and federal offices, but not as well as Democratic women, who make up the majority of the country’s female elected officials.

In the current Congress, women make up 38 percent of Democrats, a much bigger share than the 14 percent of women who are Republican members. Across both chambers, there are 106 Democratic women and 38 Republican women in the new Congress. Women account for 40 percent of House Democrats and 32 percent of Senate Democrats, compared with 14 percent of House Republicans and 16 percent of Senate Republicans.

Biden’s nomination of Jackson to the Supreme Court on Friday, along with his historic choice of Kamala D. Harris as his running mate in 2020, has likely solidified the Black female vote for Democrats for the next century. Maybe that’s why Republican senators, the Republican National Committee and many conservative White male pundits are carping about the unfairness of Biden’s commitment to appoint the first Black woman to the court.

But here’s something Republicans should consider: Every historic first nominated to the Supreme Court has received overwhelming bipartisan support, even when the nominee did not share the judicial philosophy or political party of the senators who voted for them. Starting in 1967 when Thurgood Marshall, who was confirmed 69 to 11 as the first Black associate justice of the court. Justice Sandra Day O’Connor was confirmed 99 to 0 when she became the first female member of the court in 1981. The Senate confirmed the first Latina, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, in 2009 by a vote of 68 to 31................

As a conservative I am good with the choice. I have no clue about her but I like balance. I hate the pendulum going on with politics. It swings constantly in further directions to each side. I like consistency and people being civil to one another. I am embarrassed by both sides of our aisles.

People turning down a chance to meet the president of the US just blows my mind. I was not a fan of Obama or Biden but I would jump at the opportunity to shake their hands. Rubio not going to the State of the Union tonight is embarrassing and childish.

^ trying to paint "both sides" as equally bad. Been said many times here, it is a false equivalency. Let us know when an angry mob on the left every started an insurrection to overthrow democratically elected president.

McConnell complaining about dark money Influence in politics
    =================

It’s a case of the pot calling the kettle dark.

Last week, on the very day President Biden announced his nomination of Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) issued a statement expressing his earnest concern that “Judge Jackson was the favored choice of far-left dark-money groups.”

On Tuesday, McConnell repeated on the Senate floor that he is “troubled” by “the intensity of Judge Jackson’s far-left dark-money fan club.”

Even for McConnell, a five-time Olympic gold medalist in hypocrisy, this was special.
There is perhaps no human being more responsible for the tsunami of unlimited, unregulated “dark” money that has corrupted and consumed American politics than Addison Mitchell McConnell III.

Nobody worked harder to thwart campaign finance limits and to block the disclosure of contributors’ names.

One Nation, the dark-money group McConnell effectively controls with his former chief of staff at the helm, raised more than $172 million in 2020, according to a tax return obtained by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

McConnell complaining about dark money is like Russian President Vladimir Putin complaining about cruise missiles. And the absurdity doesn’t end there.

Leading the kvetching about dark-money groups supporting Jackson? Dark-money groups on the right that are spending millions in dark money to oppose Jackson.

Still, it’s refreshing to hear McConnell and the right complain about dark money distorting Supreme Court nominations. Therein lies a case of rough justice.

It’s difficult to overstate the extent to which the Supreme Court’s 2010 ruling in Citizens United and subsequent decisions have distorted and corrupted politics.

So it’s only fitting that the distortion reaches into the high court, too. Just as unregulated, anonymous billions have elected extremists and rewarded intransigence, dark money is making sure that future court nominees are vetted and approved by unknown donors rather than through the advice and consent of the Senate……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom