Justice Breyer reportedly to retire (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Nah, that's a third side.

I don't know. Other than a handful, most republicans seem to have embraced trump-ism. The handful of republicans that don't are being squeezed out or censured because they don't kowtow to trump-ism.
    Or maybe just a coincidence (it's not) that I've only seen people on the right use that "both sides" claim. To me it is a lazy way of excusing the heinous acts of trump and how cohorts.

Last edited:
    I don't know. Other than a handful, most republicans seem to have embraced trump-ism. The handful of republicans that don't are being squeezed out or censured because they don't kowtow to trump-ism.
    Or maybe just a coincidence (it's not) that I've only seen people on the right use that "both sides" claim. To me it is a lazy way of excusing the heinous acts of trump and how cohorts.
    Well, I'd argue that the Romneys, Bushs and Cheneys of the world are more Republican than the Trumpers of the world. I just wish the Trumps would go away.

Well, I'd argue that the Romneys, Bushs and Cheneys of the world are more Republican than the Trumpers of the world. I just wish the Trumps would go away.

Thats not really an argument you're making, thats fact. But also those types are very few these days. And the few remaining are being slowly (or rapidly depending on the area) replaced in favor of the party of trump-ism. I'm going to guess that where we differ is in the percentage. For me, it seems close to 90% heavy-trump-ism already. I'm also including those 70 million people that voted for him. A vote for him is an affirmation of his beliefs/ideals/policies etc.

Yes, they're more Republican as we used to know it but they don't seem to carry much weight anymore.

Thats not really an argument you're making, thats fact. But also those types are very few these days. And the few remaining are being slowly (or rapidly depending on the area) replaced in favor of the party of trump-ism. I'm going to guess that where we differ is in the percentage. For me, it seems close to 90% heavy-trump-ism already. I'm also including those 70 million people that voted for him. A vote for him is an affirmation of his beliefs/ideals/policies etc.
    I don't think it's close to 90%. I didn't vote for Trump, but I don't think 70 million for Trump because they liked him, but rather only because of the R after his name. I think half probably held their nose, and the other half actually like him.

Fwiw, I'd be shocked if he even gets nominated again. He was on the wrong side of this Russian war on Ukraine, and I think that will come back to haunt him if he runs again.

Fwiw, I hope he croaks before the next election cycle so that this all becomes moot.

When it comes to the Republicans I know personally, and like personally, all most all of them have not embraced Trump.

There are two exceptions out of the state of Colorado, and both of them went crazy, becoming Q freaks as well. I was no longer able to talk with either of them, we no longer had a common language, common facts, common thoughts to converse with. One of them at one time was a close friend. I viewed it as a death of a friend. The other was a distant relative and I see his change as a death in the distant family.

But all of the rest of those Republicans I know and like are still normal enough folks. I'm developing a sense of "like" for DaveXA although I don't for sure know what his party orientation is. I'm kind of assuming he leans Republican.

And I'll always be a staunch Democrat.

I'm the kind of glue that might if there are enough of us, who might be able to bring this country back from the brink. I'm not wrong in being this way.

When it comes to the Republicans I know personally, and like personally, all most all of them have not embraced Trump.

did they vote for him? If they voted for him, while displeased with him then that is no better than outright supporting him. If you don't know who they voted for then just assume that they did. I don't like his assessment or yours. The whole party is either "you are with trump or you will be pushed out". Voting for a person you don't like just because of an (R) by their name is enabling deplorable people. And then you see people on the right using "both sides" as some kind of justification about "oh look the left is just as bad". No. They are not just as bad, one group is actively passing dozens of voter suppression laws and tried to overturn an election.

did they vote for him? If they voted for him, while displeased with him then that is no better than outright supporting him. If you don't know who they voted for then just assume that they did. I don't like his assessment or yours. The whole party is either "you are with trump or you will be pushed out". Voting for a person you don't like just because of an (R) by their name is enabling deplorable people. And then you see people on the right using "both sides" as some kind of justification about "oh look the left is just as bad". No. They are not just as bad, one group is actively passing dozens of voter suppression laws and tried to overturn an election.
    I think you're pushing a somewhat false dilemma here.

Offering an overly simplified biased politically scoring system to measure a living human beings moral content, and with it judge them as being either good or bad people. Instead of basing such an important good or bad judgement about them upon both political and nonpolitical precepts of their persons.

Who they vote for pales far behind how they act around children. If they stop along a highway to render aid to stranded motorists. How they behave day to day as neighbors ... . How they treat me. There are forty or fifty things that come before who they vote for when I'm making a judgment about who are, and who are not my friends.

They do need to have a common language with me, common agreed upon facts, and common thoughts to converse with them with.

Q is an evil thing that is killing that ability to communicate with others. I'm willing to be quite judgmental about the Q quotient, judging it as entirely bad.

Offering an overly simplified biased politically scoring system to measure a living human beings moral content, and with it judge them as being either good or bad people. Instead of basing such an important good or bad judgement about them upon both political and nonpolitical precepts of their persons.

Who they vote for pales far behind how they act around children. If they stop along a highway to render aid to stranded motorists. How they behave day to day as neighbors ... . How they treat me. There are forty or fifty things that come before who they vote for when I'm making a judgment about who are, and who are not my friends.

They do need to have a common language with me, common agreed upon facts, and common thoughts to converse with them with.

Q is an evil thing that is killing that ability to communicate with others. I'm willing to be quite judgmental about the Q quotient, judging it as entirely bad.

maybe, maybe not. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I have a lot of "christian" family that goes to church every Sunday, reads the bible during breakfast etc. Each and every one of them voted for trump. A guy accused of a litany of things including, but not limited to, sexually assaulting 17+ women, multiple instances of outright fraud etc. But oh they are "good people" yeah. sure. They are also voting for a person/a political party that is trying to do horrible things (and getting away with much of it). Every one chose to make a choice and vote for that piece of crap, chose to vote for those people enacting crap policies that hurt a lot of people. They don't bat an eye when it comes to vote. they don't pause. They don't go "how could I vote for someone that goes against all the teachings of the bible". no. Hypocrites. All of them. Hypocrites who profess teachings of the bible on one side and then vote for a piece of garbage like him. Deep down they are just as bad as he is. And you can't convince me otherwise.

maybe, maybe not. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I have a lot of "christian" family that goes to church every Sunday, reads the bible during breakfast etc. Each and every one of them voted for trump. A guy accused of a litany of things including, but not limited to, sexually assaulting 17+ women, multiple instances of outright fraud etc. But oh they are "good people" yeah. sure. They are also voting for a person/a political party that is trying to do horrible things (and getting away with much of it). Every one chose to make a choice and vote for that piece of crap, chose to vote for those people enacting crap policies that hurt a lot of people. They don't bat an eye when it comes to vote. they don't pause. They don't go "how could I vote for someone that goes against all the teachings of the bible". no. Hypocrites. All of them. Hypocrites who profess teachings of the bible on one side and then vote for a piece of garbage like him. Deep down they are just as bad as he is. And you can't convince me otherwise.
    ZZ, I noticed that you're 122, I have about that many first cousins, not to mention the second, third, forth, and fifth cousins, and that host of miscellaneous shirt tail relatives I also have who technically aren't actually relatives but who we treat as relatives, so don't try to tell me I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Take Farb, I like Farb, why he's the kind if water were pouring out of my front door, and as a neighbor if he had the tool that would stem that flow, I already know him well enough to know that he'd be the kind that would not only loan me that tool, he would show up with that tool and gloves on his hands on my doorstep to help. He'd dive in and get soaking wet along with me to help me save my home, and pull me out if I started to drown.

Those kinds of things are important too.

There are two exceptions out of the state of Colorado, and both of them went crazy, becoming Q freaks as well. I was no longer able to talk with either of them, we no longer had a common language, common facts, common thoughts to converse with. One of them at one time was a close friend. I viewed it as a death of a friend. The other was a distant relative and I see his change as a death in the distant family.

But all of the rest of those Republicans I know and like are still normal enough folks. I'm developing a sense of "like" for DaveXA although I don't for sure know what his party orientation is. I'm kind of assuming he leans Republican.

And I'll always be a staunch Democrat.

I'm the kind of glue that might if there are enough of us, who might be able to bring this country back from the brink. I'm not wrong in being this way.
    I'm an independent, lean conservative on fiscal and national security issues and lean liberal on social issues. Was a lifelong Republican until Trump was nominated.

Trump and his ilk have poisoned the party.

ZZ, I noticed that you're 122, I have about that many first cousins, not to mention the second, third, forth, and fifth cousins, and that host of miscellaneous shirt tail relatives I also have who technically aren't actually relatives but who we treat as relatives, so don't try to tell me I don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Take Farb, I like Farb, why he's the kind if water were pouring out of my front door, and as a neighbor if he had the tool that would stem that flow, I already know him well enough to know that he'd be the kind that would not only loan me that tool, he would show up with that tool and gloves on his hands on my doorstep to help. He'd dive in and get soaking wet along with me to help me save my home, and pull me out if I started to drown.

Those kinds of things are important too.

cool story. I don't care. Like I said those "good people" are just as bad as trump is, by enabling him. You can't convince me otherwise. If they had any real morals or standards or ETHICS they would not follow blindly like sheeple and support such a person or a party.

I'm an independent, lean conservative on fiscal and national security issues and lean liberal on social issues. Was a lifelong Republican until Trump was nominated.

Trump and his ilk have poisoned the party.
    They sure have. By extension, through the way push back goes down they've somewhat poisoned my party too.

Shame and blame is a poisonous substance. It poisons all it comes into contact with.

Yup, I reconnected (on FB) with an old neighborhood friend I was close to for a few years, he taught me how to play guitar. Extremely talented player, I didn't even know what Q was back then (it was Feb 2019).

Over the course of a year I realized he had gone completely batshirt crazy....it is so sad....how someone (he was a very street smart kid) can get brainwashed so easily....

cool story. I don't care. Like I said those "good people" are just as bad as trump is, by enabling him. You can't convince me otherwise. If they had any real morals or standards or ETHICS they would not follow blindly like sheeple and support such a person or a party.
    It's not new really. Much of what is now the Republican party is in reality the old Democratic party. For example Alabama, which is now a red state, elected George Wallace as their governor 4 times when it was under the control of the Democrats.

Last edited:

It's a bit like a burglar in court saying: "Oh! you would bring up that burglary and that manslaughter, but you never mention the fact that I give my father a birthday present" - Stephen Fry.

All the way up to 1/6 I would have agreed with you, @SamAndreas

Not any more. Up until that point it was all talk.

But anyone still in that party, willing to support those that are indifferent or worse about sedition, are not any better no matter how many tithes they give or neighbors’s doors they fix.

It's not new really. Much of what is now the Republican party is in reality the old Democratic party. For example Alabama, which is now a red state, elected George Wallace as their governor 4 times when it was under the control of the Democrats.

edit: Oh you were referring to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

my comment below doesn't relate in regards to that hah:
    Noam Chomsky said that Obama would have been considered a moderate Republican several decades ago. That to me speaks just how far right the right has moved since then.

But anyone still in that party, willing to support those that are indifferent or worse about sedition, are not any better no matter how many tithes they give or neighbors’s doors they fix.

1/6 was my tipping point too. I notice a lot of older people portray this as just something that will smooth over or settle back down to "normal" after a few years. Problem is "this" is the new normal now. Trump-ism is the new normal. We lost that "oh those people are crazy but in the minority" excuse a while back. I remember the TEA party and all those lunatics, and how many of us chuckled by their antics. Back then I never thought they would essentially take over the entire republican party. Fast forward a decade later and that is essentially what happened.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom