Israel vs Hamas (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

GrandAdmiral

Reaction score
    Looks like the fight is on with Israeli soldiers and civilians amongst the dead already. Question becomes, how long before we get dragged into this?

The IAF released data and a map showing the stark results of Palestinian rockets being launched against Israel, failing and landing back on Gaza. "The launches are carried out from compounds adjacent to buildings containing civilian populations such as hospitals, UN schools, mosques, restaurants, diplomatic buildings and hotels," the IAF says.

Gaza Failed Rocket Launches

Arab officials are also alarmed that Israel hasn't set out a clear plan for the future of the enclave, ruled by Hamas since 2006 and home to 2.3 million people.

"Israel doesn't have an endgame for Gaza. Their strategy is to drop thousands of bombs, destroy everything and go in, but then what? They have no exit strategy for the day after," said one regional security source.

An Israeli invasion has yet to start, but Gaza authorities say 3,500 Palestinians have already been killed by the aerial bombardment, around a third of them children - a larger death toll than in any previous conflict between Hamas and Israel.

Biden, on a visit to Israel on Wednesday, told Israelis that justice needed to be served to Hamas, though he cautioned that after the 9/11 attacks on New York, the U.S. had made mistakes.

The "vast majority of Palestinians are not Hamas", he said. "Hamas does not represent the Palestinian people."

Aaron David Miller, a Middle East expert at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said Biden's visit would have given him a chance to press Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu to think through issues such as the proportional use of force and the longer-term plans for Gaza before any invasion.
    It appears the plan is to destroy hamas’ tangible assets, but nothing after. The cycle will continue until another rabin emerges.

About 15 minutes into President Joe Biden's Zoom call last Friday with families of Americans taken hostage by Hamas, a White House aide started to end the session.

But Biden wouldn't have it, according to one of the family members on the call.

"The president actually looked at him and said: 'Last time I checked I'm the president of the United States. And this meeting will end when I say it ends,'" said Ruby Chen of Israel, the father of Itay Chen, a 19-year-old member of the Israel Defense Forces and a dual US-Israeli citizen who is among those missing. "He actually wanted to hear from every single one of us."
    Biden cautioned Israelis "don’t be consumed" by the rage they feel today, warning about "mistakes" the U.S. after the 9/11 attacks in 2001. Yet his backing of Israel was unmistakable.

"I'm here to tell you that terrorists will not win. Freedom will win," Biden concluded. "Israel will be a safe, secure Jewish and democratic state today, tomorrow and forever."
    Unlike Trump, Biden is sincere in his service.

Unlike Trump, Biden is sincere in his service.

It's almost unfathomable that out of the mess that was the Trump presidency, Covid and the 2020 election, that we ended up choosing the best possible candidate to be president for these times. I certainly didn't see it coming, as I was at best a tepid Biden supporter and much more anti-Trump.

Btw, I haven't heard people talking about Biden's age recently. He's looking very engaged with a lot of vitality.

Last edited:
    I almost unfathomable that out of the mess that was the Trump presidency, Covid and the 2020 election, that we ended up choosing the best possible candidate to be president for these times. I certainly didn't see it coming, as I was at best a tepid Biden supporter and much more anti-Trump.

Btw, I haven't heard people talking about Biden's age recently. He's looking very engaged with a lot of vitality.
    According to Timothy Snyder, no president has visited a war zone that isn’t held by the U.S. forces. Biden has done it 2x, with the Ukraine visit solely at the discretion of the Ukrainians.

According to Timothy Snyder, no president has visited a war zone that isn’t held by the U.S. forces. Biden has done it 2x, with the Ukraine visit solely at the discretion of the Ukrainians.
    I'm definitely voting for Biden over Trump and the way he's handled this crisis is about as good as it gets. I just hope he remains in good health over the next 5 years.

Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, has been accused of planting allies in a meeting with relatives of the Gaza hostages to rally support for his government and the coming invasion.
    An attendee who appeared to be a government supporter reportedly told the other families: “[I love my relatives] no less than the rest of you love your own family members. But at the end, we have to look at the people of Israel and the future of our existence here.”

It appears the plan is to destroy hamas’ tangible assets, but nothing after. The cycle will continue until another rabin emerges.
    Another "rabin" ? 🤔

Fortuitous that this is on the front page of NPR.

The agreement saw Israel officially recognize the PLO as representatives of the Palestinian people and a partner in future negotiations. It also set a five-year time frame for establishment of a Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
    The PLO, in turn, renounced terrorism and recognized Israel's right to exist in peace, bringing an end to the Palestinians' first Intifada or uprising against Israel that had begun in 1987 — and spawned a more radical offshoot of the PLO, known as Hamas.
    The deal raised expectations for a "two-state solution" that would eventually lead to Palestinian statehood.
    Violence begets violence.
    It seemed like significant progress, but the spirit of the agreement was quickly undone, Hershberg says. And almost immediately, the "two-state solution" began unraveling.
    "First you had the eruption of very violent protests on the West Bank and then a very violent Israeli suppression," he says.
    A 1994 attack on a mosque in Hebron, carried out by an American Jewish settler on the West Bank, caused Palestinian sentiments to boil. Then came the 1995 assassination of Rabin by an Israeli settler opposed to the agreement. Rabin had come to symbolize the Oslo Accords, and his death marked their symbolic collapse.
    Similar to Northern Ireland, the IRA, considered a terrorist organization, was offered a carrot in exchange for walking away from violence. Once that was achieved, good faith negotiations may occur. As was the PLO that eventually morphed into the PLA.

Beyond emojis, explain your views and I'll explain mine.
    I am not explaining my views and I was not asking you to explain yours either. My post was basically me admitting I have no familiarity with the word you used: "rabin".

I am not explaining my views and I was not asking you to explain yours either. My post was basically me admitting I have no familiarity with the word you used: "rabin".
    I just googled "rabin" and Google capitalized the first letter...thus displaying search results for the former Prime Minister with the last name Rabin. I have my answer. Bye.

I just googled "rabin" and Google capitalized the first letter...thus displaying search results for the former Prime Minister with the last name Rabin. I have my answer. Bye.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected accusations that he helped incite the 1995 killing of then-premier Yitzhak Rabin. His hard-line Likud party is often accused of stoking up ultranationalist hate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom