Increasing racist attacks on Asians (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/09/attacks-asian-american-elderly-/

I will admit, I didn't know anything about these these strings of attacks and the murder of elderly Asian American out west. Really disturbing. In most cases, they have caught sub human scum that have committed these crimes.
    In the case of the murder of Ratanapakdee, I sincerely hope the death penalty will be sought, although that is not possible in the state of CA.

When someone said something racist then it turned out they were affiliated with far right groups or far right websites

Then you can say “I’m not surprised “

Now someone says something racist and it turns out they are deeply involved in their church and belong to several religious groups

And the response is “I’m still not surprised “

How sad is that?
    Goldwater tried to warn the nation about that stuff.

No, corporations are not people at all. As for the image of corporate america, they did that to themselves.

"Corporations are people too" doesn't mean they are flesh and bone. It means that, as far as the government is concerned, they are entities with rights and responsibilities, just like flesh and bone individuals.

In MX, for example, a person filing taxes or bringing up a lawsuit is defined as a "physical person". a business is defined as "moral person".

"Corporations are people too" doesn't mean they are flesh and bone. It means that, as far as the government is concerned, they are entities with rights and responsibilities, just like flesh and bone individuals.

In MX, for example, a person filing taxes or bringing up a lawsuit is defined as a "physical person". a business is defined as "moral person".
    I think we all know by now that in america property rights rule over human rights.

https://news.yahoo.com/woman-35-fatally-stabbed-being-122211772.html

The suspect was taken into custody, police said Sunday. On Monday, police announced that Assamad Nash, 25, was arrested and charged with murder and burglary in connection to Lee’s death.

Police also confirmed the man was seen following Lee into her building behind her. The New York Post obtained video footage showing the alleged suspect following Lee in.

According to records, Nash has three pending court cases on charges that include intentional damage to property, harassment, assault and unauthorized sale of a fare card. He was due back in court in all three cases on March 9.

“This was his eighth arrest since May 2021,” the NYPD said in a tweet about Nash on Monday.

That liberal backed bail reform is really solving the racist problem in this country.

https://news.yahoo.com/woman-35-fatally-stabbed-being-122211772.html

The suspect was taken into custody, police said Sunday. On Monday, police announced that Assamad Nash, 25, was arrested and charged with murder and burglary in connection to Lee’s death.

Police also confirmed the man was seen following Lee into her building behind her. The New York Post obtained video footage showing the alleged suspect following Lee in.

According to records, Nash has three pending court cases on charges that include intentional damage to property, harassment, assault and unauthorized sale of a fare card. He was due back in court in all three cases on March 9.

“This was his eighth arrest since May 2021,” the NYPD said in a tweet about Nash on Monday.

That liberal backed bail reform is really solving the racist problem in this country.
    Like leading the world in incarceration solved crime? America will be racist as long as it exists.

Guess this can go here
    =======================
    Racial discrimination may be causing alcohol-related problems among Asian American college students, according to a new research published in the Asian American Journal of Psychology.

The study, which was conducted before the pandemic, surveyed more than 1,400 U.S.-born Asian students at a large Southern California public university with a predominantly Asian student body, and found that a majority of the participants reported experiencing racism and drinking to cope with their elevated levels of psychological distress. (The university was not named in the study.)

“Asian American young adults are just generally overlooked in addiction science literature,” Derek Iwamoto, the lead author and an associate professor of psychology at the University of Maryland, told NBC Asian America. “We wanted to identify high-risk groups among Asian Americans.”

The new study uses what is known as the everyday racial discrimination metric to measure students’ experience with racial discrimination (“being treated with less courtesy than others; receiving poorer service than others in restaurants or stores; people acting as if you are not smart”), and the Kessler psychological distress scale to assess the anxiety and depressive symptoms such treatment occasions. The Rutgers alcohol problems index is used to measure alcohol-related problems.

Among the study’s subjects, Iwamoto and his team found, racism has a strong effect on drinking. All students surveyed reported experiencing one incident of racism, and nearly two-thirds reported experiencing at least two. Many reported drinking to cope with the psychological distress caused by these negative experiences. (The sample pool was diverse, representing nine ethnicities and a variety of majors including the physical sciences, psychology, the humanities, education and engineering. Three in four participants are women.)

“If someone is discriminated against,” he continued, “they’ll feel more psychological distress, which in turn can lead to alcohol-related problems.”

Asian Americans have historically reported lower rates of alcohol abuse disorder than other racial cohorts, but advocates say the data obscures notable differences in drinking patterns between people of different ethnic and immigration backgrounds. U.S.-born Asians, for example, consume more alcohol on average than foreign-born Asians............

Like leading the world in incarceration solved crime? America will be racist as long as it exists.
    So the only way to solve racism in this country, it to destroy it?

Farb asks a valid question, IMO. I think the fatalist view that racism can’t be solved here is just as bad as his view that it doesn’t exist anymore. Both are not valid. Both can lead to inaction.

Farb asks a valid question, IMO. I think the fatalist view that racism can’t be solved here is just as bad as his view that it doesn’t exist anymore. Both are not valid. Both can lead to inaction.
    I agree.
    I will push back that I am not naïve enough to claim racism does not exist. I only think that systemic racism is not an issue that the left wants to make it seem like it is.

The above post we are discussing is a perfect example of why the left wants us to believe that our country is founded, runs and will always be racist. In order to stop racism, our culture/society/country must be destroyed because the roots are evil.

Farb, I do see your view as similar to his, though. In the sense that you seem to think we have to tear down the country to “save” it from the left. You two seem like flip sides to the same coin.

For example, you have said you want to do away with public education, when that is the single institution most responsible for the upward mobility of generations of immigrants. For their ability to join the middle class in a single generation.

Farb, I do see your view as similar to his, though. In the sense that you seem to think we have to tear down the country to “save” it from the left. You two seem like flip sides to the same coin.

For example, you have said you want to do away with public education, when that is the single institution most responsible for the upward mobility of generations of immigrants. For their ability to join the middle class in a single generation.
    I don't buy that. I think the government school system is garbage. Mainly because of the power of the leftist teachers union (why are kids in masks in DC again?- political donations). I think private schools with school choice is the best bet forward. If you want to send you child to a school that teaches men are women, the color of skin dictates their future, then go ahead but my taxes should not have to go and pay for that. Almost create a competition between school systems. Let the parents look at the curriculum/teachers and data and then they can make a decision on where their child goes to get educated. If the lefts ideals are better, then the let the parents decide.
    How to fund/appropriate taxes for this, I have no idea at this point but the federal government should be out of the education business. Everything it does, encourages corruption and cronyism.

Guess this can go here
    =======================
    Racial discrimination may be causing alcohol-related problems among Asian American college students, according to a new research published in the Asian American Journal of Psychology.

The study, which was conducted before the pandemic, surveyed more than 1,400 U.S.-born Asian students at a large Southern California public university with a predominantly Asian student body, and found that a majority of the participants reported experiencing racism and drinking to cope with their elevated levels of psychological distress. (The university was not named in the study.)

“Asian American young adults are just generally overlooked in addiction science literature,” Derek Iwamoto, the lead author and an associate professor of psychology at the University of Maryland, told NBC Asian America. “We wanted to identify high-risk groups among Asian Americans.”

The new study uses what is known as the everyday racial discrimination metric to measure students’ experience with racial discrimination (“being treated with less courtesy than others; receiving poorer service than others in restaurants or stores; people acting as if you are not smart”), and the Kessler psychological distress scale to assess the anxiety and depressive symptoms such treatment occasions. The Rutgers alcohol problems index is used to measure alcohol-related problems.

Among the study’s subjects, Iwamoto and his team found, racism has a strong effect on drinking. All students surveyed reported experiencing one incident of racism, and nearly two-thirds reported experiencing at least two. Many reported drinking to cope with the psychological distress caused by these negative experiences. (The sample pool was diverse, representing nine ethnicities and a variety of majors including the physical sciences, psychology, the humanities, education and engineering. Three in four participants are women.)

“If someone is discriminated against,” he continued, “they’ll feel more psychological distress, which in turn can lead to alcohol-related problems.”

Asian Americans have historically reported lower rates of alcohol abuse disorder than other racial cohorts, but advocates say the data obscures notable differences in drinking patterns between people of different ethnic and immigration backgrounds. U.S.-born Asians, for example, consume more alcohol on average than foreign-born Asians............

Welcome to the 2020's pal.

I don't buy that. I think the government school system is garbage. Mainly because of the power of the leftist teachers union (why are kids in masks in DC again?- political donations). I think private schools with school choice is the best bet forward. If you want to send you child to a school that teaches men are women, the color of skin dictates their future, then go ahead but my taxes should not have to go and pay for that. Almost create a competition between school systems. Let the parents look at the curriculum/teachers and data and then they can make a decision on where their child goes to get educated. If the lefts ideals are better, then the let the parents decide.
    How to fund/appropriate taxes for this, I have no idea at this point but the federal government should be out of the education business. Everything it does, encourages corruption and cronyism.
    And this is exactly why you are no different than the poster you questioned. Two extremes, just coming from different directions.

There are no schools such as you describe first of all. You’re being fed a narrative to stoke outrage. More often is the case of a teacher I just read about in Indiana, who was forced to retire because he slapped a student so hard his head hit the wall and he lost consciousness. (Because he was wearing a hoodie as he walked down the hallway by himself, it was caught on security footage.) A picture from the inside of this teachers classroom showed pro-Trump and anti-abortion messages on his bulletin board. I think this is far more common than your “commie” teachers, probably 8:1 if I had to guess. (just based on the teachers in my own extended family, it’s 4:1, lol, and the 1 is far from a commie, just not a Trump supporter). So your outrage is based on fake news and is misplaced, IMO.

And the federal government isn't really in the education business in the sense that you think they are. Schools are locally controlled, the federal government doesn’t set curricula, AFAIK. The taxes are local that fund the schools. Even the standards and testing protocols are usually state controlled.

Is reform needed? Yes, of course, but not for your reasons. The local tax model has ended up making some school systems the “haves” in the sense of supplies and the ability to pay for good teachers, and other school systems the “have nots”. I don’t think the quality of public schools should vary as widely as they do now, but I don’t have an easy answer for this.

And whether you believe it or not, the public education system in this country is responsible for a great deal of upward social mobility. And they do it without religious indoctrination and without ideological indoctrination (with a few minor exceptions which occur on both sides).

Another article on names
    =============

Hello, my name is Gene. My parents Byung and Young gave me an American name: John Eugene. I have no given Korean name.

The sound you just heard is a thousand Korean aunties gasping in unison.
 Not having a Korean name is rare for Korean Americans. The reactions I get from older Koreans go from surprise to horror. The decision was never mine.

My Seoul-born mother gave me a first name inspired by her favorite American playwright, Eugene O’Neill. For her, I was born American, and I would sound “American.”
Eugene was the compromise, an American name easily spelled in Korean (and common for females).

My father’s side wanted a Korean name, but as most things in my family, Mom called the shots. She figured that because I’m not white, I’d have a tougher time getting a leg up in life, and giving me an American name would help.

Turns out, my mom was right.

Thirty-six years later, non-American names are still holding people back. Here’s what’s happened this year:

• Actress Chloe Bennet had to defend her decision to change her last name from Wang. She laid some real talk: “It means I had to pay my rent, and Hollywood is racist and wouldn’t cast me with a last name that made them uncomfortable.”

• The British Museum caught backlash this month when a curator said on Twitter that Asian names on exhibit labels “can be confusing.”

• A new Canadian study showed that job applicants with Asian names were 28 percent less likely to get called for an interview compared to applicants with Anglo names, same qualifications and all.

• And in February, Asian students at Columbia University found their name tags had been ripped off the doors of their campus dorm rooms.

And that’s just this year. Let’s not forget when Texas state Rep. Betty Brown said in 2009 that Asian Americans should adopt names that are “easier for Americans to deal with.”

Or how about Duke professor Jerry Hough in 2015 who said almost “every black has a strange new name that symbolizes their lack of desire for integration.”
…..

But there’s a difference between a name you can choose for yourself and a name that’s given to you because other people can’t be bothered with pronouncing it, even if the same sounds exist in the English tongue.

Sarah Nayoung Kim, 22, of Chicago, barely had a choice. Kim’s white English teacher in Korea couldn’t be bothered to pronounce Nayoung, so he named her Sarah instead. When her family immigrated to Canada, the name stuck.

“I don’t particularly like the name Sarah, but I think it’s fascinating how I got my name because it shows how white people can act so bold in countries where they aren’t the majority population,” Kim said.

“I think this is a legacy of the Korean War, and the ongoing U.S. military presence in Korea. White English teachers come to Korea to teach English, and they are the soft power to the U.S. military.”……

And this is exactly why you are no different than the poster you questioned. Two extremes, just coming from different directions.

There are no schools such as you describe first of all. You’re being fed a narrative to stoke outrage. More often is the case of a teacher I just read about in Indiana, who was forced to retire because he slapped a student so hard his head hit the wall and he lost consciousness. (Because he was wearing a hoodie as he walked down the hallway by himself, it was caught on security footage.) A picture from the inside of this teachers classroom showed pro-Trump and anti-abortion messages on his bulletin board. I think this is far more common than your “commie” teachers, probably 8:1 if I had to guess. (just based on the teachers in my own extended family, it’s 4:1, lol, and the 1 is far from a commie, just not a Trump supporter). So your outrage is based on fake news and is misplaced, IMO.

And the federal government isn't really in the education business in the sense that you think they are. Schools are locally controlled, the federal government doesn’t set curricula, AFAIK. The taxes are local that fund the schools. Even the standards and testing protocols are usually state controlled.

Is reform needed? Yes, of course, but not for your reasons. The local tax model has ended up making some school systems the “haves” in the sense of supplies and the ability to pay for good teachers, and other school systems the “have nots”. I don’t think the quality of public schools should vary as widely as they do now, but I don’t have an easy answer for this.

And whether you believe it or not, the public education system in this country is responsible for a great deal of upward social mobility. And they do it without religious indoctrination and without ideological indoctrination (with a few minor exceptions which occur on both sides).
    We want k through 12 teachers, and into college, to lean left don't we? Don't we want young minds to open up until they are old enough to begin to form their own opinions through experience?

Last edited:
    At this point I’d settle for middle of the road. I don’t want either extreme in the classroom. But, yes, classes should provide a variety of experiences and widen perspectives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom