Increasing racist attacks on Asians (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/09/attacks-asian-american-elderly-/

I will admit, I didn't know anything about these these strings of attacks and the murder of elderly Asian American out west. Really disturbing. In most cases, they have caught sub human scum that have committed these crimes.
    In the case of the murder of Ratanapakdee, I sincerely hope the death penalty will be sought, although that is not possible in the state of CA.

With so many on here behind the 'hate' speech laws, got me thinking about the recent attacks on the jews here in the USA from Palestinian supporters. These are mainly muslim. I know we have this fear of islamophobia in this country and they are considered a 'protected' class on the victims hierarchy scale (also supported by BLM). However, these attacks are plainly 'hate' crimes and should be investigated and prosecuted as such.

https://www.newsweek.com/palestine-protesters-jewish-man-attacked-times-square-1593624

https://www.foxnews.com/us/video-nyc-attack-jewish-palestinian

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jewish-family-harassed-in-miami-area-get-help-from-gun-owner-report

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-condemns-attacks-u-jewish-123408293.html

With so many on here behind the 'hate' speech laws, got me thinking about the recent attacks on the jews here in the USA from Palestinian supporters. These are mainly muslim. I know we have this fear of islamophobia in this country and they are considered a 'protected' class on the victims hierarchy scale (also supported by BLM). However, these attacks are plainly 'hate' crimes and should be investigated and prosecuted as such.

https://www.newsweek.com/palestine-protesters-jewish-man-attacked-times-square-1593624

https://www.foxnews.com/us/video-nyc-attack-jewish-palestinian

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jewish-family-harassed-in-miami-area-get-help-from-gun-owner-report

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-condemns-attacks-u-jewish-123408293.html

And they will be. I'm not sure what you're expecting people to say. :shrug:

I haven’t seen anyone asking that these hate crimes not be treated as such, and a whole lot of people asking that they be prosecuted as hate crimes.

oh, and BLM must be living rent free in your head. 🙄

yea, maybe he can show us where people are saying those attacks shouldn't be treated as such.
    Farb, are you against these people being charged with the hate crimes?

yea, maybe he can show us where people are saying those attacks shouldn't be treated as such.
    Farb, are you against these people being charged with the hate crimes?
    Yes. I am against anyone being charged with 'hate' crimes. I am 100% behind them being charged with any and all crimes they can pin on them. Just adding how the person feels inside is dumb. Several were arrested and charged with crimes and they are investigating 'hate' crime charges. So, obviously, crimes were committed.

I think you are hung up on the word hate in hate crime. what if they called it race related crime? you have no problem with adding degrees to crimes depending on the intent, how is this any different?
    murder is murder, robbery is robbery, etc, why add extensions to those crimes?

"Hate Crime" is simply two separate offenses put together: The actual crime (murder, assault, battery, etc) and intimidation/threatening other members of a community or group. When someone is targeted because of some other factor (race, religion, orientation, gender, etc) the intention isn't just to commit the crime, it's to send a message to other members of the community.

But we all already know this.

Good article on Asian names
    ==============

This past spring, at the height of violence against Asians and Asian Americans during the pandemic, my husband and I chose to eat dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant near where we live in South Florida — in a show of solidarity with our community. As we finished our beef noodle soup and paid the check, a White man, who was sitting with his family at the table next to us, started mocking the accents of our waiter and the cook, loud enough for the entire room to hear. Besides the staff, we were the only people of Asian descent in the establishment.

As a Chinese American journalist who had been covering the recent anti-Asian attacks, I was all too familiar with the scenario and how it could easily escalate into violence. I had recently interviewed 61-year-old Noel Quintana, whose face was slashed cheek-to-cheek with a box knife while he was on his way to work on the New York subway. Another victim I spoke to, Iona Cheng, was tackled to the ground as she delivered a Christmas gift near Oakland’s Jack London Square — not far from where I used to hang out with friends growing up in the Bay Area.

After my stories published, I was accosted online, with racist tweets and emails. To protect myself, I started wearing sunglasses in public often, to obscure my race. I became a bit of a recluse, not wanting to leave the apartment. One person I had interviewed recommended that I carry a personal alarm.

The Vietnamese meal was one of my first ventures out since the start of the pandemic. As this man continued his ridicule for what felt like 10 minutes, nobody in the packed restaurant reacted. Our tables were separated only by makeshift partitions made of blinds tacked onto a clothing rack for social distancing. My husband, who is also Chinese, stood up and glared at the man. My personal alarm was in my purse, ready to emit a high-pitched sound with a touch of a button. The man shut up, and then I bolted for the parking lot.

As had been the case so many times in my life — when I was repeatedly asked where I was from or told to go back there — I avoided conflict at all costs. Like many immigrants, I had long believed that the nail that sticks up gets hammered down..........

I was born in the United States, but I was very much caught between two cultures. In my traditional immigrant family, I learned Mandarin first. Then, starting in kindergarten, I had to take English-as-a-second-language classes and speech therapy, and had a rough time fitting in. So, I became a journalist with hopes of squashing stereotypes. But while I was proactively calling out racism in my stories, I wasn’t doing the same in my personal life — not even with my own name.

For my community, names are potent symbols that can encompass the dynamics on display that day in South Florida: bigotry, shame, fear, but also pride. Whether they are learning English as a second language or bringing lunches to school that smell “rotten,” plenty of Asian Americans find that their full name is just one more way they stick out. And so, many assimilate through changing or adjusting their given names. I was no exception: Over the years, I’d essentially erased the middle two words of the name on my birth certificate: Marian Chia-Ming Liu.....

Many Asian immigrants end up adopting or being assigned Anglicized names to fit in. “The experience is very common but very under-researched,” says clinical psychologist Ranjana Srinivasan, linking it to the “model minority myth” that Asians are successful immigrants even if faced with obstacles. She changed her own Indian name several times to “be more pronounceable,” experimenting with Rita, Jay and even Rah Rah. After realizing she was “trying to meet the needs of White culture” in college, she went back to Ranjana, which is of Hindu religious origin and means “delightful.”

Now she works with Asian patients on similar struggles. In 2019, she published a qualitative study for Columbia University on name-based microaggressions within the South Asian American population. The study found that while some patients felt proud to be unique and carry their family’s legacy, others felt that their names were the most inconvenient part of their lives — one that meant they “never get to seamlessly join a company or participate in a meeting, because it’s always a battle.” The name struggle can also lead to depression and anxiety, says Srinivasan, because of “mixed feelings about their own culture and belongingness in your own skin.” This, she adds, is “the price you pay for being American.”.........

Anti-Asian attacks are not surprising. There is nothing in this country or likely any country that counters extreme tribalism. People say things like "well, young people aren't like that" and yet we see the hate/fear always there. I do not have faith that young people are any more tolerant of "the other" in the long run.

As someone who is white and male I am aware that I have a built-in advantage. I am also aware that laws, customs, policies etc either entrenched bigotry via the legal process or via the method of enforcing said laws, customs and policies.

Again as a white male whose ancestry in this country extends to before it was a country I must recommend a book by Dara Horn entitled "People Love Dead Jews: Reports from a Haunted Present" which highlights anti-semitism.

Anti-Asian attacks are not surprising. There is nothing in this country or likely any country that counters extreme tribalism. People say things like "well, young people aren't like that" and yet we see the hate/fear always there. I do not have faith that young people are any more tolerant of "the other" in the long run.

As someone who is white and male I am aware that I have a built-in advantage. I am also aware that laws, customs, policies etc either entrenched bigotry via the legal process or via the method of enforcing said laws, customs and policies.

Again as a white male whose ancestry in this country extends to before it was a country I must recommend a book by Dara Horn entitled "People Love Dead Jews: Reports from a Haunted Present" which highlights anti-semitism.
    I'll second that book recommendation now that I've read a preview of the book. When I get a chance I'll get the book.

:)

Last edited:
    Many Asian immigrants end up adopting or being assigned Anglicized names to fit in. “The experience is very common but very under-researched,” says clinical psychologist Ranjana Srinivasan, linking it to the “model minority myth” that Asians are successful immigrants even if faced with obstacles. She changed her own Indian name several times to “be more pronounceable,” experimenting with Rita, Jay and even Rah Rah. After realizing she was “trying to meet the needs of White culture” in college, she went back to Ranjana, which is of Hindu religious origin and means “delightful.”

Now she works with Asian patients on similar struggles. In 2019, she published a qualitative study for Columbia University on name-based microaggressions within the South Asian American population. The study found that while some patients felt proud to be unique and carry their family’s legacy, others felt that their names were the most inconvenient part of their lives — one that meant they “never get to seamlessly join a company or participate in a meeting, because it’s always a battle.” The name struggle can also lead to depression and anxiety, says Srinivasan, because of “mixed feelings about their own culture and belongingness in your own skin.” This, she adds, is “the price you pay for being American.”.........

I’m stunned…not.

When someone said something racist then it turned out they were affiliated with far right groups or far right websites

Then you can say “I’m not surprised “

Now someone says something racist and it turns out they are deeply involved in their church and belong to several religious groups

And the response is “I’m still not surprised “

How sad is that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom